Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Kwyndig posted:

I'm reminded of the one where the guy repeatedly sprayed his balls with pesticide. It started to hurt and instead of stopping, he did it more.

Love when "ow my balls" meets nerve agents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

Love when "ow my balls" meets nerve agents.

Mr. T Warcrimed My Balls

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Midjack posted:

Mr. T Warcrimed My Balls

In this house, we believe:
Love is love
No person is illegal
Yoda ate my balls

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

mycomancy posted:

In this house, we believe:
Love is love
No person is illegal
He tased he own balls

Fixed it for my house :)

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Isentropy posted:

I can't think about improper labelling without thinking about the chubbyemu video about someone who for some stupid reason put organophosphate pesticide in a Gatorade bottle

There's also the 35 grams of caffeine guy.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I mean, the stuff was named Plutonium for a reason :v:

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 12:41 on Apr 28, 2024

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Plutonic ideal of a cursed metal.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So cursed it manages to kill itself.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Just sittin' in a freezer, setting myself on fire, what's up with you?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
"The ignition temperature of ___ has never been established." is one hell of a sentence

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Sure it sounds ominous, but lots of common metals are pyrophoric if you machine them finely enough and that video of the guy at Hanford burning plutonium buttons makes a point that the lumps took a carbon arc torch to ignite.

e: how was this not posted in this thread already https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssH9o32CZtg

pygmy tyrant has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Apr 28, 2024

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

pygmy tyrant posted:

Sure it sounds ominous, but lots of common metals are pyrophoric if you machine them finely enough and that video of the guy at Hanford burning plutonium buttons makes a point that the lumps took a carbon arc torch to ignite.

e: how was this not posted in this thread already https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssH9o32CZtg

This should probably be posted in the OSHA thread in GBS as well.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

pygmy tyrant posted:

Warning: don't use halon on a plutonium fire

It doubles the temp of the 600-800 degrees C fire and causes the halon to decompose into among other things, hydroflouroic and hydrobromic acid

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nebakenezzer posted:

It doubles the temp of the 600-800 degrees C fire and causes the halon to decompose into among other things, hydroflouroic and hydrobromic acid

The whole point of using halons to extinguish fires is that they decompose, so that the halogen atoms released can scavenge free radicals from the reaction front and prevent the fire from propagating, which is why you don't want to use halons on any metal fires. There's nothing special about plutonium in that regard.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Where's the hydrogen coming from?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

big bang synthesis.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

That's hot enough to start cracking the water in the air.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Rust Martialis posted:

'Halomethane' just means some of the hydrogens have been replaced by a halogen, not that they all have.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Phanatic posted:

'Halomethane' just means some of the hydrogens have been replaced by a halogen, not that they all have.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dibromotetrafluoroethane

C2Br2F4

Nary a proton* in sight

*for any other NMR peeps

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
HF because we're on some waterlogged poison factory and a fluorine faced with losing its organic bond is going to snap decide it would mind the least grabbing a hydrogen from the nearest other organic or water compared to literally everything about reacting with another fluorine, oxygen, nitrogen, or metals.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

As I said: 'Halomethane' just means some of the hydrogens have been replaced by a halogen, not that they all have. You picked a halon without hydrogens, but there are plenty that have hydrogens.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
None of the halogen fire suppressants of note have hydrogens and their inclusion usually prohibits the radical interruption effect. A fact of blno small frustration to halogen chemists as adding hydrogens was one of the easier ways to fix things like ozone layer reactivity or global warming potential.

They still generate HF and HBr in over temperature situations because that's what halogenated organics do on earth when you are never far from a water or plastic or wood fiber or etc. If you are in some weird experimental chamber without these things you can start squeezing out really angry diatomics or complexes. Otherwise fluorine is just grabbing a hydrogen to protect its modesty on its way back home to a Calcium.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Fluorine protecting its modesty is loving killing me :laffo:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Icon Of Sin posted:

“Fluorine protecting its modesty” is loving killing me :laffo:

Pyf Dangerous Chemistry: Fluorine protecting its modesty

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

zedprime posted:

None of the halogen fire suppressants of note have hydrogens and their inclusion usually prohibits the radical interruption effect. A fact of blno small frustration to halogen chemists as adding hydrogens was one of the easier ways to fix things like ozone layer reactivity or global warming potential.

They still generate HF and HBr in over temperature situations because that's what halogenated organics do on earth when you are never far from a water or plastic or wood fiber or etc. If you are in some weird experimental chamber without these things you can start squeezing out really angry diatomics or complexes. Otherwise fluorine is just grabbing a hydrogen to protect its modesty on its way back home to a Calcium.

This was specified as a metal fire :)

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

One of my all time favourite phrases is "unfavourable geometry" which covers the scenarios about different shapes and their impact on criticality. Especially important when it comes to dealing with solutions of nuclear material as the act of pouring, or putting in the wrong shaped vessel could lead to a criticality. The phrase itself seems so Lovecraftian as well.

Somewhere I read a long document covering investigations into nuclear lab incidents world wide that covered a lot of cases where things had gone wrong. I couldn't find it now however I did come across this helpful diagram in a nuclear safety workbook:

Seems to really nail the general "lab assistants as reagents" theme of some dangerous chemistry.

EDIT:

"You're carrying that wrong!"
"Don't worry, it's not that heavy, I won't drop it"
"No, your body is acting as a reflector causing it to go critical!"

door.jar has a new favorite as of 03:20 on Apr 29, 2024

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Somebody probably knows and is haunted by this, but I wonder exactly how many times that last one's happened. It can't be that many but the number has to be above zero, simply because that's how science works, we learn from our mistakes.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Somebody probably knows and is haunted by this, but I wonder exactly how many times that last one's happened. It can't be that many but the number has to be above zero, simply because that's how science works, we learn from our mistakes.

Here's the document I think I had read previously:
https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML0037/ML003731912.pdf

It covers 60 incidents (38 in facilities which were supposed to have criticality, 22 in ones that weren't) between 1945 and 1999. It makes for some interesting (but at times depressing) reading.

I don't remember any of them specifically being about humans acting as a reflector or similar, generally when reflection was involved it was the design of the reflector itself rather than non-equipment reflection.

EDIT: Actually, here's one:

Mayak Production Association, 2 January 1958

quote:

three of the experimenters manually lifted the vessel and began to move it (in order to directly pour the contents into containers) when the excursion occurred.

They immediately noticed a flash (due to Cherenkov radiation), and simultaneously, fissile solution was violently ejected, reaching the ceiling about 5 m above. The three experimenters dropped the vessel and, along with a fourth experimenter who was located about 2.5 m away from the excursion, went immediately to the change room, showered, and were transported to the hospital. The combination of additional reflection from the three experimenters and the change in the geometry of the solution volume was sufficient to cause the system to exceed prompt critical.

The three experimenters all died in 5 - 6 days, the four nearby worker was VERY sick and went blind

door.jar has a new favorite as of 04:27 on Apr 29, 2024

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

door.jar posted:

It covers 60 incidents (38 in facilities which were supposed to have criticality, 22 in ones that weren't) between 1945 and 1999. It makes for some interesting (but at times depressing) reading.

I don't remember any of them specifically being about humans acting as a reflector or similar, generally when reflection was involved it was the design of the reflector itself rather than non-equipment reflection.

The three experimenters all died in 5 - 6 days, the four nearby worker was VERY sick and went blind

It must have been really close to prompt critical to begin with for human reflectors to push it over. I assume they weren't crowding the sample so this must have been a pretty dangerous experiment even under ideal conditions.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

door.jar posted:

One of my all time favourite phrases is "unfavourable geometry" which covers the scenarios about different shapes and their impact on criticality. Especially important when it comes to dealing with solutions of nuclear material as the act of pouring, or putting in the wrong shaped vessel could lead to a criticality. The phrase itself seems so Lovecraftian as well.

Also important when your normally solid fuel becomes liquid and relocates itself to the bottom of your reactor pressure vessel. A good reason to keep a sufficient stock of neutron poisons on hand, just in case.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

It must have been really close to prompt critical to begin with for human reflectors to push it over. I assume they weren't crowding the sample so this must have been a pretty dangerous experiment even under ideal conditions.

I'm certainly no expert but every single thing about the experiment screams dangerous to me. If you read the document from page 7 to 12 covering three separate incidents in this one facility it's just an ever increasing amounts of WTF.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Gonna take the opportunity to remind everyone about the dignuses at LANL nearly self-extracting from the gene pool:
https://apps.publicintegrity.org/nuclear-negligence/near-disaster/

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Kwyndig posted:

It was 3 workers moving a barrel of plutonium solution. The arrangement was subcritical when the barrel was upright, but when they tilted it suddenly it wasn't so safe.

door.jar posted:

I'm certainly no expert but every single thing about the experiment screams dangerous to me. If you read the document from page 7 to 12 covering three separate incidents in this one facility it's just an ever increasing amounts of WTF.

One of the funnier things about Mayak's wild west approach to safety was the fact they kept using the same standard 40-gallon barrels for every conceivable purpose even after they were repeatedly shown to cause issues. Even though they had safer containers. Safe geometry bottles? gently caress that it's barrel time.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Feynman did some of this at Oak Ridge - fissile storage.

I recall Fermi mentioning doing neutron studies in Italy and an obese colleague reflecting neutrons standing at the bench.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

door.jar posted:

Only factory/non-military criticality accidents?

I ask because due to using lead and Bismuth as a coolant, the Alfa class submarines had to be refueled while the reactor was critical---

It used Beryllium as a moderator

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nebakenezzer posted:

I ask because due to using lead and Bismuth as a coolant, the Alfa class submarines had to be refueled while the reactor was critical---

"We're gonna need another Timofey!" :supaburn:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

IIRC there were supposed to be special stations at their home port that they could connect their coolant loop to to keep it hot while the reactor was down for service.
Due to budget cuts these stations were never built.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
this is why most nerds are skinny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cranappleberry posted:

this is why most nerds are skinny