Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I was just recently directed to this thread, but wow that's a lot to read through. Anyways, my own story to tell isn't quite mine. Instead, a friend of mine (let's call him Matthew) likes to tell this on behalf of his parents.

Both of Matthew's parents are schoolteachers of some sort, and as you'd expect have collected a lot of stories over the years. They're actually planning to write a book about such experiences when they retire, if they haven't done so already. (I first heard this perhaps five years ago, for context.) And in particular, Matthew's mother works teaching something that necessitates a storage room attached to her classroom. Perhaps biology, perhaps chemistry, perhaps something else, I forget.

The previous user of the classroom and its attached storage room had some genial person who'd been willing to store things for others in that storage room. So long as the item in question could fit on a shelf and you hadn't pissed this person off, you could likely drop off said item without many questions. And when that previous user had left, most if not all of the relevant contents had remained in the room. So it was that Matthew's mother was rather surprised on her first day to find an oil-filled jar of white phosphorus in the storage room.

Given that it was otherwise filled with oil, the jar wasn't at immediate risk of causing a massive hazard and potentially killing students or staff. But Matthew's mother was still understandably disturbed to find a war crime waiting to happen in her back room, or more generally on school grounds, and thus made some phone calls. Shortly thereafter some well-trained folks from the EPA came to dispose of the jar and its contents, letting everyone else get back to business. I'm sure that none of the staff forgot that particular incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Maxwells Demon posted:

Is ClF3 a 0 on the toxicity scale because ClF3 is actually not significantly toxic or because it will oxidize into substances so quickly you don't need to worry about its toxicity?
That particular 0 refers instead to flammability. ClF3 is a ludicrous compound that will react with a lot of stuff, but it does so as an oxidizer and thus won't innately burn upon contact with heat. In that respect it's like O2 gas but far less easy to control.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I love the Weekly World News. :allears:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I do know of that certain kind that causes a horrible prolonged death like that poor lady chemist that had a drop go through her glove and died an agonizing death.
That one was dimethyl mercury, which is loads more penetrating than just the liquid metal. And just to make that incident even more tragic, she thought she would be fine with those gloves. At the time we didn't know just how many things would be permeable to the stuff. Getting through your skin is one thing. Also getting through the latex glove was another. She was following all the relevant safety procedures to the letter and yet she still died. :eek:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Technically she did run a lab with unsafe working conditions, but that's less on her and far more on the extremely undeveloped nature of the field at the time. Nobody really knew at the time just what radiation could do, so everyone was doing poo poo that in hindsight would freak out any current scientist in the field. (Tesla stuck his head in an X-ray beam for a time before wisely reconsidering after the heat got to him.) In particular Marie Curie often kept a sample of some radioactive isotope on her person as a party amusement or an impromptu flashlight in addition to several other test tubes around her home and workspace; to this day many of her papers and even her cookbook are hazardous without gear. It was only after scandals like the Radium Girls in the 1920s that the danger of radiation was first realized, and by then Curie was in her twilight years.

As for the reasons for character assassination, being a woman at the turn of the 20th century was unfortunately not the full story. She wasn't French, so in an era of nationalism the right-wing press loved to bash her for being Polish. And being a foreigner, she could then be painted as either godless or (even worse!) Jewish. :nallears: Yeah, poo poo like the Dreyfus Affair didn't show up in isolation.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

For centuries, a rite of passage for chemists was the preparation of tetralitiomethane. This tiny molecule - starting as carbon tetrachloride, force-fed mercury, then suffocated in a near vacuum - was prepared whole and burned that way, bonds and all, while the apparatus was draped with a linen napkin to preserve the precious aromas and, some believe, to hide from God.
...I did not expect an adaptation of the ortolan speech. :stonklol:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

TorpedoFish posted:

The first attempt at making a nuclear reactor that could be operated by the average soldier resulted in a destroyed reactor and deaths of all three "operators", including one pinned to the ceiling by a control rod.
Part of the problem there was that the reactor had precisely one control rod, so yanking it triggered a very prompt criticality. If they even had two control rods things would have gone somewhat less badly.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

zedprime posted:

Besides biological factors like that, the fundamental chemistry part is a fluorine calcium bond is so ridiculously favored that HF gets over being a weak acid to gobble it up any chance it can manage. If it didn't favor one cation so tremendously you'd be a bit safer too.

Your blood has enough buffering that I don't think lemon juice in the vein would mess up your day too badly but I'm not going to be the one to volunteer for that experiment.
Thankfully this same interaction gets to be a benefit in dental hygiene, since the fluorine-calcium precipitate is useful for remineralizing tooth enamel rather than making useless and critically wasteful calcium fluoride.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It sounds like a way to smuggle in the Church of Drinking Bleach.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Isn't that one of the really venomous ones? Some species of blue-ringed octopus?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

water is dry as hell, also sharks are smooth as hell
Can confirm, one of them decided to raid my library when I wasn't looking.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Yeah good luck beating established solutions, honed by genetic algorithms.

quote:

Is that second picture Japanese hops? Those leaves look familiar but they're not thin enough to make me think of cannabis.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Zil posted:

For the idiots in the back, namely me, is that study discussing how to take meth and turn it back into sudafedrine?
Take note that it's published in the Annals of Improbable Research. The authors are "O. Hai" and "I. B. Hakkenshit". Everything about this is a joke.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Highest specific impulse chemical system ever was a tripropellant mix of hydrogen, ClF3, and lithium.
:nfpa:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

:nfpa:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The Claptain posted:

Toluene, chromyl chloride and carbon tet
I thought it was going to be a "normal" NileRed video for the first 19 minutes. Sure, he accidentally made tear gas but that's like nothing for him.

Then he pulled out the carbon tet and I went "OHNONONO you incredibly foolhardy man don't touch that". :ohno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I know this is a typo, but the idea of subatomic particles annihilating to produce seamen is really funny to me for some reason. :v:
I wonder why, does it have some connection with you making a game that lets me kickflip a battleship?