Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I can only assume Chrome was being weird it works now. I've actually been thinking about reinstalling this and playing along but i remember some parts being a pain with keyboard/mouse.

Smornstein fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Smite posted:

Overlord, Episode 5 - Subquests (of Evil!)

The Raising Hell expansion content makes an initial appearance here because I have it installed, but you could also install it after the game is done and play it if you want. I'll be doing it all at the end of the game in any case.

Yeah, thematically, I think it makes sense to do it at the end.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Veloxyll posted:

Yeah, the story in this actually works pretty well. I remember not liking the second game's story quite as much. Having watched the LP of Brutal Legend, I can see the similarities. Though your minions tend to follow you a lot more closely in Overlord than your groupies/troops in Brutal Legend.

If you aren't secretly hating elves, they're not written right.

Well, Rhianna Pratchett would have plenty of reason to be less than fond of elves.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
Overlord was a really fun, unique game that I am very glad I got to experience. Experiencing it vicariously is fun too! Y'all are an entertaining group, looking forward to more :)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If anyone hasn't earned that "secret" title they are playing Overlord wrong. :colbert:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I see you didn't get Bully of Jesters title. It gets overwritten by the newer title.

I think bosses get immunity to Slow as it didn't work on Melvin. Fire tends to be better on them anyway.
Just unlocked the blue hive and things finally opened up.

Tried Legendary out and that is playing a very different game.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
God drat, the Overlord games are great. There's so much treasure hunting and mindless chaos, all the while having fun being a dick. I wish they'd have been more of critical successes, despite their bugginess. The second game, especially: the final boss and cutscene started fiercely bugging out all over the place and chugging some bad framerate. It wasn't clear if the game would make it past the credits. The 360 crashed as soon as it reached the credits' end, like a runner that had pushed itself too far. It couldn't have been better indicative of the shoddy quality of the software -- both of them, really. The series' gets a free pass for it though, since it's so charming and full of cool ideas. :3:

This LP sure takes me back. Thanks for running it!

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Yes! Love it, Smite. If you get a chance to name the Overlord, I humbly request Johannes.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I do think that the steal the food/give the food choice is clever, because the reward for evil is to get a huge one-time lump-sum of life-force, and the reward for good is to get a small, but repeatable bonus to life-force that you have to put a bit of effort into getting... but can eventually exceed that of the evil reward. Quick and evil the dark side is, why it is so alluring.

It's not like life force is hard to get. Go to the arena and farm beetles - each one drops 3 life-force and there are 25 beetles per round. It's tricky at first, especially before you get blues, but I worked out a technique to lure a couple over at a time. You need the greens (and preferably the blues), though.

I'm getting really tempted to reinstall this and play along, because I'm getting too impatient to see some of the other puzzle dungeons.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 22, 2014

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

With fully upgraded tier 3 equipment you can even wade into the arena mob of beetles solo and mash the attack button all the way to victory.
Still better to aggro them in chunks first, though.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Last Transmission posted:

With fully upgraded tier 3 equipment you can even wade into the arena mob of beetles solo and mash the attack button all the way to victory.
Still better to aggro them in chunks first, though.

With fully upgraded tier 3 equipment why the gently caress are you still grinding life force?

EDIT: I guess you could have finished the weapon and armor and be working on the helmet but still.

It's really weird how Overlord hosed up the life force economy. If you play through the game normally and get all the bags of gold etc., you have enough money to buy pretty much everything in the game. It works out rather nicely. If you want a big pile of money and everything else you'll have to do some grinding, but not too much. But when it comes to life force? Smite just sacrificed roughly half his army, and he's only about 1/3 of the way to maxing out one piece of Steel equipment. I recently finished the game, having done no enchantment at all, and I couldn't fully enchant a Tier 3 helmet if I emptied all four hives.

Alien Arcana fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 21, 2014

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

Alien Arcana posted:

With fully upgraded tier 3 equipment why the gently caress are you still grinding life force?

EDIT: I guess you could have finished the weapon and armor and be working on the helmet but still.

It's really weird how Overlord hosed up the life force economy. If you play through the game normally and get all the bags of gold etc., you have enough money to buy pretty much everything in the game. It works out rather nicely. If you want a big pile of money and everything else you'll have to do some grinding, but not too much. But when it comes to life force? Smite just sacrificed roughly half his army, and he's only about 1/3 of the way to maxing out one piece of Steel equipment. I recently finished the game, having done no enchantment at all, and I couldn't fully enchant a Tier 3 helmet if I emptied all four hives.

I'm pretty sure the helmet is intended to be a lifeforce sink. The benefit isn't that great, and it gives you something to spend excess minions on. Also, the game expects that you might need to farm for lifeforce and gives you a convenient way to do so. While you can farm for gold, you're not supposed to need to and it's more annoying.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.
I was going to say that I couldn't believe I had already lost over 100 browns but then I realized it must be counting the ones I used for forging in that stat screen, which is total crap!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Smite posted:

I was going to say that I couldn't believe I had already lost over 100 browns but then I realized it must be counting the ones I used for forging in that stat screen, which is total crap!

Well why not? They're still dead, regardless of the source.

If you want to get technical about it, they all died of the same cause: "In service to the Overlord." Which is about as close to "natural causes" as a minion's ever going to get, let's be honest.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Hermetian posted:

I'm pretty sure the helmet is intended to be a lifeforce sink. The benefit isn't that great, and it gives you something to spend excess minions on. Also, the game expects that you might need to farm for lifeforce and gives you a convenient way to do so. While you can farm for gold, you're not supposed to need to and it's more annoying.

Later on the game gives you a really fast way to farm life force. It's not as easy as the one Overlord 2 gives you, but it's much faster.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Well why not? They're still dead, regardless of the source.

If you want to get technical about it, they all died of the same cause: "In service to the Overlord." Which is about as close to "natural causes" as a minion's ever going to get, let's be honest.

It makes it a pain to calculate what my actual 'losses' were, since it includes what I would prefer to call expenses. They are score-tracking but that kind of makes it silly. I will just keep track of my forge purchases.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I dunno. Why even have farming, especially if they have to give you a sort of "gimme" way to do it because otherwise it would take too long? Why not just make the resources in the base game more plentiful? Though it sounds like you don't need to because you can apparently beat the game without improving any equipment.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Smite posted:

It makes it a pain to calculate what my actual 'losses' were, since it includes what I would prefer to call expenses. They are score-tracking but that kind of makes it silly. I will just keep track of my forge purchases.

Why, if you don't mind my asking? Are we going to get a Browns/Reds/Greens/Blues killed counter? I suppose it would be interesting to see how casualties break down between the groups (browns would obviously be highest, but I do wonder which of the others dies the most).

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

Why, if you don't mind my asking? Are we going to get a Browns/Reds/Greens/Blues killed counter? I suppose it would be interesting to see how casualties break down between the groups (browns would obviously be highest, but I do wonder which of the others dies the most).

I would say that would be more because they have been used for longer. Browns are tenacious minions whilst the rest die to anything more then a stiff breeze.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Which is probably going to make Greens be the most dyingest minions

Because they get in melee. ANd often face stiff breezes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

Which is probably going to make Greens be the most dyingest minions

Because they get in melee. ANd often face stiff breezes.

I always find Blues as the most likely to die as they need to be close to combat to do their job, but they have almost no ability to deal with enemies who get near them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think Reds win that award. A stone kills them.

The thing with collecting Salamander, is that you will want multiple pieces of armor in case you come across some place where everything is burning or having a ton of another stat is important for some stage. I might need several pieces of each tier if I want to handle Legendary.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is it possible (with grievous loss of minion life) to max out all the stats on a single piece of armor or can you only put so many minions into a given piece, forcing you to choose what stats to emphasize?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Is it possible (with grievous loss of minion life) to max out all the stats on a single piece of armor or can you only put so many minions into a given piece, forcing you to choose what stats to emphasize?

There is a max amount of minions that a type of metal can handle. As time goes on he will get better metals. But to answer your question, yes, you have to pick how much of each stat you want to boost. I think it works out that you have enough minion space for ~1.5 bars of stats.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Lotish posted:

I dunno. Why even have farming, especially if they have to give you a sort of "gimme" way to do it because otherwise it would take too long? Why not just make the resources in the base game more plentiful? Though it sounds like you don't need to because you can apparently beat the game without improving any equipment.

The second game actually has a good reason because farming is tied to a moral choice. The first one its admittedly kinda pointless but at least you could glitch it with the highest level fire spell which would make beetles (essentially sheep 2.0) give out several times more life orbs if you kill them with it. Still takes a while to upgrade everything though so perhaps they just didn't intend for you to upgrade all your gear to the max? :shrug:

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

You are all missing the real point of upgrading equipment: For each tier you fill up with minion lives you get another jester title!

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Overlord, Episode 6 - Raiders of Spree

Note: This marks the end of the Mellow Hills/Spree area for now, with a request to go to a new area called Heaven's Peak. If we go there now, we'd find that we can't proceed anywhere without some things from the Forest which is located outside of Spree. So the next stop is The Forest Evernight. They give you a choice but use barriers to ultimately give you a linear path of progression.

Smite fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 22, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I started replaying yesterday, and I was not prepared at all for how nasty the raiders are. As you said, I indeed lost my entire horde and nearly died. I had to run away shooting fireballs and barely survived.

After that I was a lot more cautious and used my Reds to snipe enemies dead as much as possible.

I also had a really hard time and lost a lot to the eyeball boss because I was playing terribly. Also, no you do NOT want to break the barrier to attack it. See that blue beam the eyeballs are shooting at the floor? That kills minions really, really fast. You need the high ground or range to attack those.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I remember this upcoming part always drove me nuts, since it basically forces you to ping-pong between Evernight, Heaven's Peak, and then Evernight again to proceed.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

The beholder gazer Overseer battle is, in my opinion, the first fight where the limitations of the minion controls start to show. Micromanaging your minions is a pain in the rear end, partly because the lock-on system is so vague and partly because you can't do anything else while you're sweeping a guard marker. It's not that the fight is super-hard or anything, it's just that it's harder than it needs to be due to the control issues.

Also, I don't know if this is happening for anyone else, but the brown guard-marker AI seems to be bugged. The browns will happily swarm the first enemy that comes near them, but once they're pulled out of formation they won't move again, even if they're attacked. If I 'jiggle' the guard marker a bit it resets them, but it defeats the entire point of putting browns on guard markers if I have to babysit them anyway.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I'm pretty sure Heaven's Peak is where i finally quit the game because i messed up big somehow and lost all my minions and just didn't want to keep going.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I smile every time I hear the minions presenting stuff to you with the words "Treasure!" Or "For you!"

Also, Rose is awesome. I love how it takes her all but five seconds to put the all mighty evil Overlord firmly under her heel.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am finding lots of quirks with minions. Browns do have a problem with getting back to their flag after attacking. It is some timer where their AI tells them to get back in position. Don't flag them if several enemies are nearby. Greens are better at this. It also helps that you have many minions so you don't see how limited their AI is.
The Overseer also tells you to place multiple flags to attack with. I find it best to have multiple flags near each other to target a different enemy, so they won't get interrupted.

Smornstein posted:

I'm pretty sure Heaven's Peak is where i finally quit the game because i messed up big somehow and lost all my minions and just didn't want to keep going.
Minion lover.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Thesaya posted:

Also, Rose is awesome. I love how it takes her all but five seconds to put the all mighty evil Overlord firmly under her heel.
It's hilarious because the overlord being a silent protagonist really gives her the perfect setup for that.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Quick note, if I recall correctly, all minions pick up weapons, but only browns render them. The rest just show upgraded equipment (in the case of reds, swanky handwraps)

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am finding lots of quirks with minions. Browns do have a problem with getting back to their flag after attacking. It is some timer where their AI tells them to get back in position. Don't flag them if several enemies are nearby. Greens are better at this.
The Green guard AI is really binary in how well it works out. Usually in a fight they'll attack the enemy normally and jump on their back for a backstab if the positioning's right (pretty often in a mob since enemies tend to shuffle around in a fight). Setting them on guard makes them only do their ambush from stealth ability and nothing else, so they either kill the enemy outright in their opening attack or they sit there getting massacred while waiting for their stealth to kick back in.

Blues get assigned to just resurrecting minions, which is amazingly better as long as you remember to set the guard marker behind you. Sending minions through a guard marker ends up assigning them to it.

grimlock_master posted:

Quick note, if I recall correctly, all minions pick up weapons, but only browns render them. The rest just show upgraded equipment (in the case of reds, swanky handwraps)
All the other minion types get shoulder pads if you want to quickly check if they've gotten an upgrade or not. Reds also get bigger horns with their upgrades.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

I have made a discovery! The ragged cloak that the Overlord is wearing? It's actually one of his banners. If you change the banner, the cloak changes color!

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
For someone whose whole job is give orders to other people, it's pretty funny how quick the Overlord is to do whatever Rose says. You get her luggage back for her then in the space of five minutes she has already moved in, redecorated your personal chambers, and is telling you how to customise your tower and where to store your gold.

I'm glad this LP is going for 100% corruption though, that'll make things interesting later on.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Overlord probably did this sort of thing before he died.

Minion AI seems to have issues guarding the flag on slopes. NPC AI has issues of their own. I seem to be abusing scripting by holding back and letting minions distract enemies. Some corruption-friendly NPCs are attacking me and I had to run away a few times to reset their status.

Blues get armored clothing for their leather clothes.

The tower keeps track of what spells you have.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Pyrovile posted:

For someone whose whole job is give orders to other people, it's pretty funny how quick the Overlord is to do whatever Rose says. You get her luggage back for her then in the space of five minutes she has already moved in, redecorated your personal chambers, and is telling you how to customise your tower and where to store your gold.

I'm glad this LP is going for 100% corruption though, that'll make things interesting later on.

My guess is he just doesn't care. It's partially the helmet, but at least in this one, the Overlord doesn't really emote much at all, so he seems pretty :geno: about a lot of things.

• Locked thread