Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I wanted to remake the "Can the Enemy Hear" image to be a bit more readable and updated. The font choice always annoyed me.

e: if it ever needs updating, pm me or do it yourself (.psd link)

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
!tag Deagle Ace

Save to a log file with the same name as the demo. Shows "Deagle Ace" with the time/round.

Wouldn't be too difficult to implement. I might come back to goonpugging since my CS friends haven't been too active as of late.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Razzled posted:

Do you guys find that there are typical "bracket" mistakes in ranked? Like, I've been hovering around Master Guardian I/II for a while now and I can't seem to figure out what it takes to upgrade my game. Are there typical pitfalls for brackets of rankings or is it as simple as I'm just bad at the game. How far rank wise do you guys think it's possible to go with good knowledge of what you're supposed to do in given situations while not really having great mechanical skill/reflexes?

IE I consider knowing where to stand, defend or push content knowledge that helps you traverse a round. Whereas aiming/recoil adjustment is more of a ingrained thing that isn't really binary in that you either know it or you don't.

If you're playing solo-queue matchmaking, you'll be lucky to get Distinguished Master Guardian even with great skill. The best way to improve is to play with people of similar or better skill who communicate and coordinate. Even a player worse than yourself can help identify what you're doing right or wrong.

But the only way to rank up is to keep winning in matchmaking. These "brackets" aren't a precise measure of individual skill, just an average of what kind of teams you lose/win against.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

SaucyLoggins posted:

Does the windows sensitivity actually matter with Raw mouse input?

Raw input ignores windows sensitivity, but it's still best to have 6/11 set because anything else is crippling the accuracy of your mouse in other games/programs.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Speaking of mice problems, I love how the Steelseries Sensei feels but it's far from the most durable mouse I've ever used. I first had the original Sensei for about 6 months before one of the thumb buttons broke, and then the mousewheel broke about 6 months after that.

So about 2 months ago I replaced it with the "Sensei Raw" which is a cheaper version without the LCD screen. Now the same thumb button has broken. I don't slam my mouse around or anything and I just use that thumb button for push-to-talk.

I used to think Razer mice weren't very durable, but all of them that I used worked fully for longer than this.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

40 OZ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8euGpZVGhSU

I guess the joke is on me since this elite team utterly destroyed us.

12 bullets vs 100. This is a textbook "going in one-by-one" failure.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Valve almost certainly makes more money from the market than the game itself at this point. But I think they understand the :10bux: barrier being a very basic hacker defense. Everyone who wants to play CSGO probably already owns CSGO.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Stumbletron posted:

What are the easiest/lowest responsibility spots to play on each map?

I've started playing competitive a bit on Dust 2 (the only one I know well enough to call the spots) and it's been fun but I want more. I'd also like to ruin as few games for other people as possible.

The spots which usually have 2+ people watching them.

Nuke - Ramp
Inferno - Banana
Dust2 - Long
Mirage - A Palace or Ramp
Cache - B

Not that these are the "easiest" spots, but always having someone nearby to help is the best situation for inexperienced players.

e: Basically just avoid any middle area, and don't try to play bombsites alone. "Mid" on Dust2/Mirage/Cache/Inferno are often sniper battles, same as yard/outside on Nuke. If the CT there gets taken out with no backup, the terrorists have free reign.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 25, 2014

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
If mumble/skype/teamspeak/ventrilo/etc didn't exist, it'd be awesome to see a multiplayer game where dead people lose communication. But they do, so that game doesn't exist.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Death cams are definitely too long, but I always keep it in mind after killing someone. Just do something "fake" for 5 seconds and then assume the enemy is reacting to it. Don't wobble back and forth like a spaz; commit to something for a bit and then assume they know about it.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I like using incendiaries when I'm defending a site alone, such as Dust2 B or Mirage B. Fire up the hall, smoke it when it goes out, and I've taken 30+ seconds off the clock unless the enemy has balls of steel. And if they do, then I've charred their ball hairs and can give them a light tap to complete their castration.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Twerk from Home posted:

Really dumb question from a newbie: How much impact does reporting actually have? Is this game like dota-likes where I can get suspended and banned for bad manners? I don't know if I should be worried at threats of being reported.

Voice chat and text are not replayed in overwatch demos. But "griefing" such as purposely blocking/damaging teammates, hiding the bomb or similar things do appear in overwatch demos.

It wouldn't be as severe as a ban for hacking would be, but yes, people reported for griefing can be suspended from matchmaking.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If that's the case, why are you able to report someone for voice/text abuse? Is that just a cumulative thing and after X reports they'll get an automatic cooldown?

Well Valve does get the reports too, so maybe they review them sometimes? I don't know, but I spam music sometimes and I've never been MM banned.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Play matchmaking tonight if you want to see CSGO on opposite day. Everyone is using the Krieg/AUG and going for 1 Deags.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Someone got me pretty good with a lobbed flash tonight. He dropped it around a corner and it appeared so slowly before making a sound that I didn't react to seeing it at all.

I'm so used to grenades travelling at a certain speed or making a noise when an enemy is close, so it's this weird new thing that has never been a factor. It might make "pop flashes" a little easier to do on-the-fly.

e: ^ That was pretty much the situation. Inferno at a corner near apts, he pooped it around the corner and I didn't react in time.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
There's currently some bug/hack going on that is VAC banning a lot of legit players in matchmaking servers.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/648814845701248462/

Go to vacbanned.com and refresh the page, there's giant groups being banned every second.

So no, the game is still AUG/Krieg heaven, and I wouldn't recommend playing matchmaking for the time being.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
They've actually done a good job making everything "just viable" for CS:GO. The dualies, autoshotgun and M240 are the only novelty weapons I rarely see used. It'd be strange for the AK47 to get bumped out of being the all-around best rifle for most situations, so I'd like to see an AUG/Krieg nerf.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Yesterday I played with someone who used an UMP literally every round and didn't do terrible. Some people just have preferences despite statistics or value.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I finally understand what that one weird terrorist taunt is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOyk1o0ukNE

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
With the exception of Eddie and myself, we're gonna be using aliases on this job. Under no circumstances do I want any one of you to relate to each other by your Christian names. And I don't want any talk about yourself personally. That includes: where ya been, your wife's name, where you might've done time, or a bank maybe you robbed in St. Petersburg.

All I want you guys to talk about, if you have to, is what you're gonna do.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Bashez posted:

The best way to not get better is assume you're doing everything right and your teammates are causing all of your losses. You're as bad as your teammates, that's why you're ranked together.

One of the reasons I like playing matchmaking is the ease of access to demos. Of course all of this could be done manually, but I'm lazy and generally never watch recorded demos unless something really interesting happens. But now if I don't feel like playing I'll just start watching some demos of myself or other players to see where I went wrong or why other players were doing so well.

I like to play with my Silver 2 friend sometimes, and I'm usually floating between the Eagle ranks. Even in those games where I'm expected to carry, I make big mistakes because I'm either too confident or playing too carefully. All it takes is one quick review of my own perspective to see new things.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/1xr7ls/early_warning_for_update_counterstrike_global/

Yea, reddit, but this guy is always on point with update info and I don't know where else to look.

e: I guess Valve's csgo_servers mailing list is his source but I don't care enough to subscribe to that.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Patch notes aren't out yet. That quote was just some redditor's hilarious edgy prediction.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
This is how I protest this patch.

:cool:

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
It feels like the accuracy of a Tec-9; not particularly accurate on first shot but the grouping isn't terrible. I'm enjoying it as a sidearm while AWPing; great for close quarters or panic situations.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

NihilCredo posted:

Speaking of matchmaking, do the "penalties" mentioned if you drop out of a comp match consist exclusively of the 30-minute cooldown, or is there anything else? Like a long-term naughty list of unreliable comp players who get matched with each other?

The cooldowns stack if you drop too often; you'll start getting hour+ long bans. But there is no alternative pool for less reputable players.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

BrandNew posted:

Playing with a 4 stack as the 5th is so amazingly terrible every time. Guy complains relentlessly when I save my gun with 15 health and the bomb planted with 2 terrorists alive. I proceed to get a 4k the next round with everyone else saving and win us the round and ridicule him mercilessly. I of course was kicked 1 round before match point. Good times.

I'm often on the other side of that; playing with 3 friends and a random 5th. It's really easy to point the finger at the 5th while ignoring larger mistakes of friends. Kicking before a win is saved for the biggest assholes.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Fat Lou posted:

Those are some of the lesser damning pieces of evidence.

Edit: I am sorry if I did not post a massive list of evidence. If you want to look at the demos I posted them.

I looked at the demos and couldn't find the damning parts. I don't know the guy and I hardly goonman, but I like spotting hackers and I couldn't spot anything.

e: On second thought I'm staying out of this one. Just thought I'd throw in my review of those demos; not a cheater.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Dylan-D posted:

A good player comes into the goonman and doesn't act like a subservient little bitch and a few people can't handle it. I love it.

Keep fighting the good fight Hawker.

This is what I'm seeing as well. :words:

• Locked thread