Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

TG-Chrono posted:

:toxx: TG-Chrono - If Collingwood have more wins that Carlton at seasons' end, I'll get an Eddie McGuire avatar.

I'll get in on this one with you. If the Blues score more wins than the Pies I'll get an avatar of the best pic you can find of Malthouse and/or Daisy in Blues gear. I'm assuming by the end of the season there'll be plenty of good photos of them hugging, smooching, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Gah, thanks for the corrections/updates/kudos

ewe2 posted:

People do a lot of things you may not understand or accept :v: I'm not being serious about the Tigers, I'm just despairing of the Saints management.

Richardson is a guy who worked at 7 other clubs before finally getting his turn. He was great at Carlton, but he'd previously had a falling out with Malthouse so when Ratten got the boot, unfortunately so did Richardson. This year will probably suck again for the Saints, but the youth they brought in, including Billy Longer, Maverick Weller and such are going to do real well in a short while.

Added your toxx as well tnimark.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Masterpiece.

Also Hume it looks like you're no longer the senior poster.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Okay Muyb I got your back.

:toxx: Melbourne will win at least 7 games this year.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hambeet posted:

No takesie backsies

Also I guess I should do something.

:toxx: if Melbourne finish below St Kilda I will get a Stephen Milne themed avatar/title of NutsNGums choosing

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

hambeet posted:

Or you'll do what?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Vanilla toxx is just a ban if not otherwise stated

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

TG-Chrono posted:

Or you'll do what?

I was just thinking of a ban, unless someone wants to nominate to be the chooser of a new name and avatar for me.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hambeet posted:

I was just thinking of a ban, unless someone wants to nominate to be the chooser of a new name and avatar for me.

I'm sure I can Sparklee up a Jack Watts avatar for you

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'm sure I can Sparklee up a Jack Watts avatar for you

Sure. TG, toxx is as before but if I lose MUYB will Melbournise my name and avatar that I'll wear for 12 months.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
Great OP. Reading made me wish it was March already.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The preseason cup hasn't started and already got Melbourne fans going at one another

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is it bad ettiquette to toxx on your own team failing? I'm thinking it will be like when I tip against my own team. One way or the other I'm going to be happy.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

gabensraum posted:

Masterpiece.

Also Hume it looks like you're no longer the senior poster.
Hey I did the OP for two years running and decided someone else should do the sperging out for a change. It couldn't be in better hands.

Hopefully no-one gets into a stupid slanging match about unrelated poo poo in the middle of a final this time.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

Hey I did the OP for two years running and decided someone else should do the sperging out for a change. It couldn't be in better hands.

I think he's talking about ewe2 :ssh:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

TG-Chrono posted:

I think he's talking about ewe2 :ssh:
Oh, missed that.
He remembers a St Kilda premiership! drat I thought I was old for this thread because I can remember a Richmond one.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

No takesie backsies

Also I guess I should do something.

:toxx: if Melbourne finish below St Kilda I will get a Stephen Milne themed avatar/title of NutsNGums choosing

This sounds like a worthy challenge. :toxx: If St Kilda finish below Melbourne then I will get a Stephen Milne themed avatar/title of Gough Suppressant's choosing. Also either of us must keep the avatar until the grand final at a minimum.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Deal.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
May the best man support the slightly better of two of the lowest rank teams in an elite competition.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
It should be really interesting. Between Roos and Richardson there is some pretty great potential but both are entering wholly broken environments. I'm looking forward to seeing how both clubs handle it.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Pumped for the blockbuster round 1 saturday night spectacular already boy oh boy wowee!

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
Ok I didn't say the games would be interesting but maybe they'll surprise us?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TG-Chrono posted:

This year will probably suck again for the Saints, but the youth they brought in, including Billy Longer, Maverick Weller and such are going to do real well in a short while.

Yeah I know, and then they either turn into arseholes, get traded, or turn into Nick Riewoldt. Sorry, I'm a bit bitter. I don't get how they can do such a good job generally with new players and then fail to capitalize on it. It's maddening. The club culture is just putting me off and it's hard to be a proper born-into-footy Victorian sometimes :saddowns:

And yes I guess I do qualify as oldest poster here but thankfully I'm not spergy about football as well.

hambeet posted:

Nutsngum posted:

:toxx: If St Kilda finish below Melbourne then I will get a Stephen Milne themed avatar/title of Gough Suppressant's choosing. Also either of us must keep the avatar until the grand final at a minimum.

You're all lovely :allears: I was just going to remark to Hambeet about the chances of getting clobbered by Melbourne first round too.

:toxx: If St. Kilda don't make the finals I will get a Nick Riewoldt avatar of some appropriate nature (because there's going to be choice photos this season) and will take effect once it becomes mathematically impossible. How's that for AFL spirit :D

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Carlton made it to the semis despite mathematical impossibility :smug:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

I'll update the toxxes once I get home.

I bet Port are glad they went to Dubai for heat training.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gabensraum posted:

Hmm, how good are the drug tests at Melbourne? :unsmigghh: :itwaspoo:

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

gabensraum posted:

I still have no idea what Carlton are trying to achieve with their list.

In other random 2014 thoughts, the Power and Doggies were super entertaining last year so I hope they get better. The Eagles were confusingly terrible last year so they're the hardest to place. Melbourne are also difficult because there is talent there so who knows.

The Hawks on the other hand should be ok. We played Buddy further up the ground last year so the forward line shouldn't be too out of whack, and McEvoy is a huge bonus as a replacement for Bailey. The draftees look neat too.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Colin Sylvia is pretty much the biggest front runner ever to exist, so he'll probably make all australian and get 15+ brownlow votes this year.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

spamman posted:

In other random 2014 thoughts, the Power and Doggies were super entertaining last year so I hope they get better. The Eagles were confusingly terrible last year so they're the hardest to place. Melbourne are also difficult because there is talent there so who knows.

The Hawks on the other hand should be ok. We played Buddy further up the ground last year so the forward line shouldn't be too out of whack, and McEvoy is a huge bonus as a replacement for Bailey. The draftees look neat too.

If there's any evidence that Scott Watters was a fuckwit it was giving up a developed ruckman in the prime of his career. McEvoy could be AA ruckman this year.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Good news for saints fans though, you no longer have to hear BIG BOY BIG BOY BIG BOY BIG BOY BIG BOY

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

spamman posted:

id really like to see the power make the finals again, their end to 2012 was epic.

i think the dees desperately need a good run with injury, if they get that then there might be some light

i think the eagles also suffered from gaff and shuey coming under closer scrutiny than they were used to (plus schuey's injuries), they should be better for it this year round

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

hiddenmovement posted:

If there's any evidence that Scott Watters was a fuckwit it was giving up a developed ruckman in the prime of his career. McEvoy could be AA ruckman this year.

That was more Ameet Bains, their list manager and McEvoy is a very average tap ruckman and a fantastic resting ruckman. I actually think Longer is an upgrade.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

hiddenmovement posted:

I think that was pretty shrewd list management actually. Longer is arguably a better talent than McEvoy, but McEvoy is ready made. Hawthorn needed a replacement for Bailey and were initially looking at Longer but McEvoy is a much better fit as we are already in the finals. St. Kilda aren't really going to get value out of McEvoy in his prime so they fling him for a pick that turns into Longer and Shane Savage (who wouldn't have stayed at Hawthorn as he is outside the best 25 but will be a good contributor at St. Kilda). Now they have a top young ruck prospect and a decent wing. Hawks get rid of a player that was going anyway and fill an immediate need. Win/win as far as I can tell.

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:
God drat that was an amazing first post mate. Now I actually know a bit about each of the clubs, not just my own.

Obligatory Go go Swannies comment :)

Got my membership sorted for the year already, travelling up from Canberra for the home games. Any other Swans fans in the thread?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

spamman posted:

I think that was pretty shrewd list management actually. Longer is arguably a better talent than McEvoy, but McEvoy is ready made. Hawthorn needed a replacement for Bailey and were initially looking at Longer but McEvoy is a much better fit as we are already in the finals. St. Kilda aren't really going to get value out of McEvoy in his prime so they fling him for a pick that turns into Longer and Shane Savage (who wouldn't have stayed at Hawthorn as he is outside the best 25 but will be a good contributor at St. Kilda). Now they have a top young ruck prospect and a decent wing. Hawks get rid of a player that was going anyway and fill an immediate need. Win/win as far as I can tell.
Agreed on every point. Pelchen knew exactly what he was doing and pulled off arguably the best bit of business in the window.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
also the OP was pretty light on with the dees recent history. i would have made more mention of how badly the club screwed itself over by spending 3 years rebuilding their list then hiring some turkey who throws it all out the window on arrival and actively trades for other clubs dead wood so they can be dead wood in the dees colours instead. most supporters should have been wearing black to games instead of red and blue at mid-point during 2012. if they actually went to games n such.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

also the OP was pretty light on with the dees recent history. i would have made more mention of how badly the club screwed itself over by spending 3 years rebuilding their list then hiring some turkey who throws it all out the window on arrival and actively trades for other clubs dead wood so they can be dead wood in the dees colours instead. most supporters should have been wearing black to games instead of red and blue at mid-point during 2012. if they actually went to games n such.

yeah but putting that in the op implies that anyone who isn't a melbourne supporter gives one single gently caress about melbourne anymore

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
That is an amazing OP.

spamman posted:

I think that this is pretty spot on, the whole trade was a win/win from what I can see. The only thing I'd like to add is that the we didn't actually get Longer as part of the McEvoy trade, but because Longer probably would have gone to the Hawks if McEvoy hadn't we may as well have. Longers first option was the Hawks, but from memory Brisbane wanted Savage as well as pick 18 and the Hawks weren't prepared to do that. Somehow McEvoys name was brought up in discussions with the Hawks and the whole deal happened very quickly after that. It ended up looking something like this (I'm going to ignore late picks swaps etc):

Saints traded McEvoy and 24 for Savage, 18 & 19 and effectively traded Dal Santo for Longer (used pick 25 compo) and Delaney (pick 77 - which from my understanding North wouldn't have done if they didn't get Dal)

We then got 2 really good looking kids with picks 18 & 19 and I personally couldn't be happier with the way the trade and draft period turned out for the Saints.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
^ ruckpostin'

TG-Chrono posted:

That was more Ameet Bains, their list manager and McEvoy is a very average tap ruckman and a fantastic resting ruckman. I actually think Longer is an upgrade.

Yeah, I agree. Even if he does become an AA ruckman it's going to be a few years at least before the Saints have another crack so any form he has will just be, in a way, wasted. A few ruckmen who'll hit their prime with the rest of the team isn't a bad thing. Hickey really hit his straps at the end of the year and alongside Longer they could be a good combo.

gently caress this heat. gently caress my lack of aircon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

So we're finally ditching the stupid round robin format in the preseason to single matches? Thank christ. A game a day is going to be interesting.

• Locked thread