Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

snaeksikn posted:

fitzpatrick (ruckman who still cant run out a game)

He played juniors at the local side here and always had chronic fatigue problems. I think he got over the worst of it but he's still going to be struggling to get top level endurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

quote:

THE AFL has modelled its new holding the ball interpretation on fans’ traditional cries of “baaaalllllll”.

The league will enforce a stricter interpretation of the rule in the NAB Challenge series beginning Thursday night after admitting umpires were too “lenient and inconsistent” with it in the early part of last season.

AFL operations manager Mark Evans said the league had taken note of fans’ reaction times and had instructed umpires accordingly.

He revealed the umpires were asked to be more stringent with the rule towards the back end of last season and that it would continue along the same lines in 2015.

“I think we got to a position last year at the end of the season where we had already dialled it up a notch anyway and I think the game was better for that,” Evans said.

“We’ve really now put into words the way we were adjudicating towards the end of last year.

“I thought at the start of last year we were a little too lenient and a little too inconsistent with various parts of the holding the ball rule.

“Sometimes a player takes someone on and you can hear the crowd yell, ‘That’s holding the ball’.

“So we’ve tried to capture that into how we brief umpires to pay those free kicks.”

Evans said the umpires would also crack down on illegal blocking in marking contests.

The NAB Challenge series will kick off with Hawthorn’s clash against Collingwood at Aurora Stadium on Thursday night.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That feels like a satirical article.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Deadly Hume posted:

I think we should use this thread for this season as well.

Do the cricket megathread thing of having the same thread for two years. The mods here in SAS don't seem to be as fussed about megathreads compared to other subforums

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Chairchucker posted:

That feels like a satirical article.

Only in so much as the herald sun is a satire of actual newspapers. But you're right, if they keep going like this Titus O'Reilly will be out of a job.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

What happens if the crowd suggests that a particular player is a wanker? Does the umpire have to go up to that player and remind him that he is indeed a wanker?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

What about if we cal the umpires fluro maggots? What's gonna happen then?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I'm looking forward to another year of nobody having any idea what holding the ball is.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

this will be great when gaj gets nailed the first time and everyone suddenly complains about the umpiring being shithouse

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Honestly that change sounds amazing and I'm all for it.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Nah I'm redoing the thread for this season, should be up Wednesday or Thursday pending alcohol consumption.

Not wasting this doozy.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Does this mean they are adopting what I can best describe as cumulative opportunity which the crowd fervently believes in?

If a guy barely squeaks out a handball, the next guy barely squeaks out a handball, the next guy barely squeaks out a handball and the last guy gets sat on by three opponents as soon as he gets it and it's HOLDING THE BAAAALLLLLL!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
We can add in more rules to accommodate for it, a hybrid between basketballs shot clock and gridiron/leagues downs system. On each tackle a rolling timer starts and if you accumulate five tackles in a 20 second period you get a free kick.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Was at my brothers wedding on the weekend, and only found out after the fact James Hird's mother was in attendance, and my brother received a Hird signed bombers jumper from his new wife as a semi joke gift. He's a died in the wool Eagles supporter by the way.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Can you do drugs off a guernsey?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Diet Crack posted:

Can you do drugs off a guernsey?

I can't tell if this is an eagles joke or a bombers one

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Column A, Column B.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Mitch Clarke is playing this weekend.

The doggies are actually playing at Whitten Oval. 4:40pm start, doesnt gently caress my saturday night re:drinking. Is anyone up?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I hope he struggles to get a touch

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

The doggies are actually playing at Whitten Oval. 4:40pm start, doesnt gently caress my saturday night re:drinking. Is anyone up?

Completely sold out, gonna have to watch that on Foxtel or listen on the radio.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Entire MCG crowd yells "BALLLLL" at a passing seagull with a hot chip in its beak

The AFL responds, "hmm yes we've listened to your interpretation and deemed it correct and therefore we'll change the rules again this year"

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Ha a friend just tweeted this:

looooooool remember how 'someone' reported the non-Essendon clubs to Workcover? They're all cleared, Essendon isn't http://t.co/BhRcWqmI92

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

At least they are paying attention to fan concerns, under Demetriou it was whatever fly-by-Kevin-Bartletts-arse instinct. Everyone was upset at the holding the ball interpretation last year and they are moving to address it, along with a few other things like kids getting to kick on the ground again.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

They should just install a dB meter in all stadiums, and if the crowd is vocal enough a whistle blows over the stadia speakers and all the video boards flash 'HOLDING THE BALL.'

I bet they're going to rename Subi 'The Domain of Pain' if the Eagles or Freo get a bunch of home wins in a row. It's still such a loving stupid name for a stadium, and no one refers to it by naming rights - and it's going to be torn down in the next 2 years - so what's the loving point?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Testekill posted:

Completely sold out, gonna have to watch that on Foxtel or listen on the radio.

Anyone interested in a goon meet at some pub to watch it? I'm kind of fiending for some footy

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

They should just install a dB meter in all stadiums, and if the crowd is vocal enough a whistle blows over the stadia speakers and all the video boards flash 'HOLDING THE BALL.'

Lucky Adelaide Oval already has the dB metres installed in front of the loudspeakers.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Gough Suppressant posted:

Anyone interested in a goon meet at some pub to watch it? I'm kind of fiending for some footy

Not me sadly, dad is coming down from Wodonga for his birthday.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

I work at the Rose Hotel in Fitzroy, it's pretty much the best footy pub around and we'll definitely have it on

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Shmoses posted:

I work at the Rose Hotel in Fitzroy, it's pretty much the best footy pub around and we'll definitely have it on

You work at the Rose? Nice!

I haven't been able to go back there since Hawthorn blew that elimination final against Freo. Just brings up memories.

Great place though.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

spamman posted:

You work at the Rose? Nice!

I haven't been able to go back there since Hawthorn blew that elimination final against Freo. Just brings up memories.

Great place though.

Yeah it's a great pub, the atmosphere is brilliant when Richmond play. When they beat Sydney in round 23 last year it was insane. Also we're a Freo pub too for some reason so that night must have sucked for you. I had to watch the Geelong v Hawthorn QF from behind the jump there last year so I understand your pain.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Shmoses posted:

Yeah it's a great pub, the atmosphere is brilliant when Richmond play. When they beat Sydney in round 23 last year it was insane. Also we're a Freo pub too for some reason so that night must have sucked for you. I had to watch the Geelong v Hawthorn QF from behind the jump there last year so I understand your pain.

huh, I thought the freo supporting fitzroy hipster on the coodabeens was just made up, rather than a large part of your patronage.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

huh, I thought the freo supporting fitzroy hipster on the coodabeens was just made up, rather than a large part of your patronage.
I have absolutely no idea how it came to be and I don't like it

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I go to the Rose fairly regularly during the footy season to watch big Freo games, always a lot of purple in attendance, went there after the 2013 GF for commiseration/celebration drinks with my Hawks supporting brother, not the best night of my life.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
After a five-year battle, two bone marrow transplants and seven months in hospital fighting Aplastic Anaemia, Madeleine Riewoldt, 26, couldn't fight any longer and her incredibly brave battle ended this morning at Royal Melbourne Hospital with family - Mum: Fiona, Dad: Joe, Brothers: Nick and Alex, Sister in law: Catherine and Nephew: baby James by her side.

:(

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
She's younger than me :(

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/greater-western-sydney-giants/gws-given-extra-325-million-by-afl-20150223-13mn5e.html

quote:

"The AFL's expansion into Sydney's rugby league and soccer heartland has hit a financial bump, with the league forced to tip in an extra $3.25 million into the Greater Western Sydney Giants last year.

Documents obtained from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission show the Giants slid to an operating loss of $529,315 in 2014 despite the AFL pouring in $20.16 million in grants for the year."

20 million in grants and they still have an operating loss of half a million. Seriously, that money would be better spent spread around the clubs that are struggling.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Shmoses posted:

She's younger than me :(

She's younger than 80% of the population give or take

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
gently caress :smith:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Testekill posted:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/greater-western-sydney-giants/gws-given-extra-325-million-by-afl-20150223-13mn5e.html

20 million in grants and they still have an operating loss of half a million. Seriously, that money would be better spent spread around the clubs that are struggling.
To be honest, in the long run, it's probably worth it to have a game in Sydney and another for the telly every weekend. I mean, how many second chances did the Swans get?

Shmoses posted:

I have absolutely no idea how it came to be and I don't like it
Maybe it's partly because Freo were the only team in the comp that weren't total shits to Fitzroy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah, a billion dollar plus payday is kind of worth sinking 2-5% into further growth. Suns are going well though, probably contributed in part to the Titans sucking it hard (apart from the coke use of course)

• Locked thread