Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wow chrono I haven't read it all yet but congrats on an amazing op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

cytoc posted:

Great OP,

I like that list of Fletcher's opponents in 1993, pretty much a who's who of full / centre half forwards.

On another note, has anyone actually tried the sportsync radio, some of the reviews on amazon suggst that it's kind of shoddy quality wise, and that the AM reception can also be less than great. I'm still tempted to get one to escape BT though (I don't have foxtel), especially if people have had good experiences with it.

Also, fantastic choice of icon for the thread, I only just noticed it.

I had one for a while and it worked pretty much as advertised until I dropped it from a tiny height and it split and never worked again.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

Great OP, I am a long-suffering Saints supporter and a part-time Lions supporter (family in Brisbane). This system has worked really well for years when the Saints weren't worth watching. I might just say to hell with both of them this year and go Tiges why not. At least they're giving it a shake. Watching Nick Riewoldt slowly melt down will not be edifying, and the Lions don't seem to know wtf they're doing.

You can't do that :confused:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah Buddy will retire with two or more years left on the contract probably, and the Swans will just keep paying him as if he was there (and that counts in the cap).

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
If Sydney found a way to get him kicked out of the comp for getting 3 strikes would they still have to pay?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm too stupid to work it out. When exactly is the Super Bowl?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

TG-Chrono posted:

1st Monday of Feb (3rd of Feb). At the Great Northern in Carlton. 11am.

I finish work at 2:30pm so I'll come by after probably. If you're still there.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Kepler Bradley did his ACL last year in that manner. He was kicking the ball and someone smothered the kick and bent his leg the wrong way in the process. Goodbye ACL.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I enjoy reading the opinions of bogans, it is funny.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gough Suppressant posted:

I have poor self control when it comes to not yelling at said bogans on message boards.

Yeah I just have a chuckle and don't let it get to me. Actually meeting these people in real life is different but there isn't much you can do about it on the internet, except marvel at them.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna go yell at a child on TV so I can win an award for being black :smug:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Because big numbers can be seen from a distance, making it easy to pick who the player is, but little lovely letters can't? Giansiracusa. Schoenmakers. Polkinghorne. Roberts-Thompson. It is going to look silly just like the long names in other sports look silly. Adds nothing, looks stupid.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gough Suppressant posted:

The fact that you are claiming it adds nothing proves that you are being a deliberate fuckwit about it rather than attempting to engage in any sort of discussion.

Jesus Christ the people you know must have to exercise incredible patience not to smack you sometimes. Your inability to have a normal discussion is sometimes astounding. We are discussing a matter of opinion, not climate change.

I don't think casual fans suffer much from having to listen to the commentary to pick who a player is. Or if they are at the game they can look up on their phone or the record who a number corresponds too. Or maybe *shock scary social interaction* leaning over to the guy next to them at the game, who is probably their mate who dragged them there in the first place, and ask them who that is. You won't be able to read the names at the game anyway, so really it is only an issue on the TV where Bruce is happily telling you their names over and over again.

And it doesn't take hours of studying the loving prospectus to learn that number 5 for Hawthorn is Luke Hodge, but sure you can exaggerate to that degree if you want.

edit: also nobody is saying it is a big deal. The tendency on the internet is to assume that anyone expressing an opposing opinion thinks it is a HUGE loving DEAL AND NEEDS TO BE SHOUTED DOWN. But really most people probably don't care and just think it will look silly. "It is not a big deal" is not a valid argument for the change.

realbez fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 31, 2014

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you can recognise who it is anyway, you know who it is anyway :confused:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah that sure showed me

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is stupid, all I said was it will look dumb. And it loving will. oval office.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know you like to deliberately not read the rest of posts and focus on one example sentence. It also doesn't take much effort to learn that 35 for Melbourne is Tapscott, or that 33 for West Coast is Hill. If you even give a poo poo, which you probably wouldn't unless they were a superstar or part of the team you are supporting.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
We really need the season to start.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
You know I would actually prefer it if we went MORE American not less. I'd rather over the top game day advertisements and cheerleading over the sponsorship logos we have plastered all over the jumpers now. The problem is that isn't going to happen. We will get the names jammed on there with the logos and gradually we will get the ridiculous game day advertising as well. The jumpers are already too crowded. Kill the ads and put the names there fine but it is going to be disgusting with both.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

thepokey posted:

You know the weird thing is before last year I'd have thought the same. Then last year I started getting not too bad Internet at games. Friends would be battling with their phones at half time and I'd generally have a decent connection. Not sure what witchcraft was behind it.

Yeah prior to 2013 I could never get a data connection at the footy but last year I never had a problem except at games with over 80k in attendance. Something has improved a lot at the g.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Luke Hodge is No. 15.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
... gently caress I knew I was forgetting something.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Disappointed in a lack of anthropomorphic stars, lightning bolts and anchors. No giant!?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The new deal *needs* to including a streaming service. We are so far behind in Australia it is ridiculous.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Really guys? It is a pretty obvious dig at port by the crows and it isn't hard to see why port are annoyed. Adelaide isn't THE South Australian team anymore.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have nothing to add but thanks for the interesting posts about sanfl history. This is a good page.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

I believe AFLTV is going to be airing the NAB cup for free, as well.

*Service not available in Australia.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
These lions are less challenging than witches hats. A bit disappointing

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Distantly.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
First 'big boy mcevoy' for the year dropped.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
God shut up Brereton you tool

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Melbourne actually look like a football club.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo the crowd goes wild

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

pkid posted:

I gave up after about 3 minutes because I really should be working....
http://www.sporcle.com/games/grimlock81/afl-clubs-ex-players-at-another-afl-club

I gave up after it told me Josh Kennedy isn't formerly a Hawthorn player.

edit: for gently caress sake it needed Josh P. Kennedy.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
That is my favourite fevola moment just because at the game all the Carlton supporters went up like he got the goal and it seemed like I was the only person who saw the umpire signal a behind. Exciting.

Let's not kid ourselves though fev was a superstar and still would be if he wasn't such a drop kick away from football.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've given all forms of fantasy football the flick this year as it was consuming too much of my time. On the bright side I guess I have a couple of minutes a week to put tips in now so I'll join that.

I'm feeling amazingly confident about Hawthorn this year. I thought last year might be our last real chance with this group but it has just regenerated with new faces so quickly, and our aging midfield doesn't seem so old anymore.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is footytips really slow for anyone else? It isn't unusable just a bit annoying. Another question, are we picking winning margins or just winners?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I agree that we should just get rid of the margin tipping but I'm not too fussed about it since its only one game.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yay football. Booooo watching AAMI ads again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The only thing interesting about this game is that Beams looks better with hair and Lumumba looks worse without it.

• Locked thread