Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I hope to see many more exciting adventures in Haren going "gently caress YOU YOU CAN'T ATTACK EVER."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!
Haha yeah, counters are stupidly effective. I don't think Harren is the only one with counters either, right? This is gonna be fun.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I am glad it's y'all playing this one and not me, because it's a pretty great trainwreck of a jkrpg but I can't even imagine how tedious this is to play. How do you manage it Adam ? Staring at Calintz in all his femme glory must only get you so far. That sped-up hill-climbing sequence was kind of harrowing. The works map for Final Fantasy Ten wasn't any where near this bad, nor come to think of it was Grandia III, or whichever one you played a million years ago was.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 10, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
This game looks completely terrible and I'm eager to see how much the budget is stretched during the cutscenes. That part with the explosion was pretty great, so hopefully there'll be more like that.

Also, I'm enjoying the way you guys are steadily learning more of the game and have ideas completely turned upside-down. Haren went from worst character to best as soon as he started being Mr. Grumpy in the conversations and I love it.

(you're doing a service with the overlays by the way, this game's HUD looks drat near unreadable)

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Octatonic posted:

I am glad it's y'all playing this one and not me, because it's a pretty great trainwreck of a jkrpg but I can't even imagine how tedious this is to play. How do you manage it Adam ? Staring at Calintz in all his femme glory must only get you so far. That sped-up hill-climbing sequence was kind of harrowing. The works map for Final Fantasy Ten wasn't any where near this bad, nor come to think of it was Grandia III, or whichever one you played a million years ago was.

Stockholm syndrome's set in, I think I'm in this for the long haul.

Also, editing is a pleasure, I seriously love editing projects like these and those aspects are always in the back of my brain

Yapping Eevee posted:

:allears: Just got referred to this thread, and it's looking pretty great. Preparing these episodes must take some serious editing.

Some of the battles are sliced so thin on the timeline that they resemble pulled pork

Catling Gun
Jan 4, 2009

About Chi 1 – Background

1. The Book of I

If some years were added to my life, I would dedicate fifty years to the study of the Book of I, and then I might come to be without great fault - Confucius

The I Ching is an ancient Chinese sacred text. It predates Confucius, but, like most sacred texts, its exact date of origin is uncertain. The oldest known manuscript comes from the Warring States period, between 475 and 221 BCE. The text has endured, with two notable expansions (one of them the Ten Wings, the commentaries of Confucius), ever since, despite being banned and burned during China’s communist revolution. Its name roughly translates to “The Book of Changes” or “Classic of Changes”, and it’s one of the most important works of classic Chinese philosophy and literature. For an English-speaker to read it, it must be twice-translated, first from ancient Chinese into modern (which is itself a thing, as anyone familiar with Beowulf can attest), and second into English. My go-to translations are Alfred Huang’s and Wu Wei’s, but if you’re curious, you can find some relatively thorough information on Wikipedia (I know, whaaaat) and you can find a Golden Dawn era translation for free on sacred-texts.com.

In the west, it’s most widely known as a divination system, but that’s not really accurate. In essence, divination with the I Ching is Bibliomancy, randomly determining a passage or section of an important book and divining based on that result. The I Ching is easily the most popular bibliomancy source, although the Bible is also used very often, as are nearly any number of other works. Writers who flip through a dictionary or encyclopaedia to write about a word at random are engaging in the same practice. The only reasons western occultists view it as its own system are that they were, until introduced to the I Ching, unfamiliar with the coin or yarrow stalk methods of selecting a passage, and because of the then-unheard-of philosophical system of the book itself. It was popular with the Hermetic Society of the Golden Dawn, and the infamous Aleister Crowley took it extremely seriously as an oracle.

The closest someone like me can come to summing up the philosophy of the I Ching (in superbasic form)is as follows:
  • The world is constantly changing in cycles. Once something reaches one state, it begins to decay into the opposite state. This can be seen in all things. (This, by the way, is the meaning of the yin-yang diagram you saw on your pogs and doodled in your notebooks. Turn it, and you’ll see what I’m talking about.)
  • Specifically, the world is moved by the interplay of two forces. The active, penetrating yang force, and the passive, receptive yin force. (This is often conceptualized as a masculine/feminine dichotomy, and the basis of modern Wicca and several other traditions.)
  • Observing, understanding, and acting in harmony with these cycles will enable you to turn them to your advantage, or at least avert great disaster.

One interesting thing about Magna Carta’s use of the I Ching for its element system is that the I Ching is rife with military and political metaphors. So, when reading the meanings of the hexagrams, you’ll often see references to generals and their troops, and the six lines of a hexagram are assigned a status within the hierarchy of a kingdom, as well as an ideal yin/yang state. The meaning of Hexagram 63 (Chi Chi, according to Wei) hinges on this, on every line being in the right place. So, the idea of chain of command, of management of a kingdom and of an army, is a core focus of the I Ching. I’m interested to see if Magna Carta goes anywhere with this or just continues to suck.

2. The Gua

The chi system in Magna Carta: Tears of Blood is based on the eight basic trigrams (the Gua) of the I Ching. They’re a simple binary language, eight arrangements of three broken (yin) or unbroken (yang) lines starting from the bottom. Every possible combination of these three lines has a name, an association, and several meanings.

You’ve probably seen them before, even if you’re not a huge occult nerd. Four of them (Heaven, Earth, Fire, and Water, according to Magna Carta) appear on the flag of South Korea. The arrangement of the eight trigrams in an octagon, usually with a yin-yang symbol at its centre, is called the Ba Gua, and is commonly used in Feng Shui, in decorating, and by lazy set designers as shorthand for “CHINESE”. There are two different sequences of the trigrams, the Early Heaven Sequence and the Later Heaven Sequence, the former being the one discovered, according to the legend, by the scholar Fu Xi on the back of a tortoise.

Magna Carta doesn’t appear to use either. Actually I’m having trouble figuring out how the hell they’ve got them organized up there.
Each of the Gua has several characteristics traditionally associated with it, including a personality, an element, and a role in the family. Li, for example, represents a clinging nature, fire, and the family’s middle daughter. They also represent, in the larger scale, a point in the cycle of constant change.

The word “Gua” is also used to refer to the hexagrams, sets of two trigrams paired together and associated with a deeper meaning. These were added to the text later on by the second creator of the text as we know it, King Wen. According to legend, he studied and contributed to the Gua while in prison, and used its wisdom to allow his son to become king, who then declared him a king posthumously.
Much of what I’ll be writing on specific trigrams will be both from the description of the trigram itself, and from the gua where the trigram is paired with itself. These gua have the same name as their component parts, and the same, if intensified, meaning.

I’ll be posting about the specific gua when we come across their dungeons in the story.
It…seems like we’ll be coming across all their dungeons in the story. So, prepare for a post about lightning soon!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Elemental Dungeons?
Talk about new can, same old taste.

But anyways: Chi and various ancient spiritualisms are big old targets for new age orientalism. It's good to get some factual insight on this.

It really does not help that the Chinese regime under Mao demanded a complete severance from aspects of history and culture such as this instead of a simple shelving. If my horrible memory is to be trusted most of the misconceptions and falsitudes originated in China itself. One of the larger being TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) which did not exist in it's current form until the 1950s.

Medicine in ancient China was far, far from standardized as TCM is now. In fact TCM was used as a sort of cultural weapon by the CCP, being pushed and promoted in vaguely scientific ways to make it so that the CCP would appear superior to western culture.

However, many of the old texts that have describing acupuncture and various systems of disease (Theories of disease that involve the body being in disharmony, not going into more detail than that) are real, even having a Chinese Scholar critique them, specifically the yin yang five-phases theory, almost 2000 years ago.

Did I just write that.
Sorry about this.

Catling Gun
Jan 4, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I'm Rigged Death Trap. I'm sorry.

Occultism and divination are kind of pet subjects of mine, and I completely agree about the orientalist aspect. It gets completely absurd sometimes when Golden Dawn Era magical unification theory has totally transmogrified into "all religions are true therefore just grab whatever seems the most spiritual to you maaan".

But, ancient texts are my other pet subject. It's important to actually read and study these things rather than just relying on cultural osmosis, since so much of what we osmose culturally comes through these nutty old orientalist filters or, as you mentioned, unreliable sources.

Thesaya posted:

I'm Saya! I'm sorry!

Hi, Saya! I'm Cat!
I'm sorry.

Octatonic posted:

I'm Octatonic! And I'm sorry!

I had that exact problem playing the game. I legit couldn't be bothered, but Adam has a serious love of video editing, so I'm content to let him do the grunt work!

Also, I forgot to tell you earlier:
If the music is so bullshit, I challenge you to fix it.
Loser has to make an elaborate public introduction/apology.

(Some quotes have been slightly altered)

Catling Gun fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 11, 2014

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Oh snap, it's on now

And I'm sorry.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm Senerio. I'm not sorry at all. Also my favorite is Azel because it's hilarious to me how easy he is to please.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Senerio posted:

I'm Senerio. I'm not sorry at all. Also my favorite is Azel because it's hilarious to me how easy he is to please.
That and how Maya seems to barge in on everyone else's conversations, despite being mute, so that she can approve of you more.

I'm Panic! at Nabisco! And I'm sorry!

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 11, 2014

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I am appreciating this.

I'm Dragongem! I'm sorry.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
I remember playing the sequel and actually enjoying it, but then again my mutant power is an inhuman tolerance for bad games so I'm not a good judge of quality on that front. I was always curious about the first game in the series, so thanks for doing an LP of it.

I'm Simon The Digger! There is a non-zero chance that I might be sorry.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Magna Carta 2 is...tolerable if not actually enjoyable at times. Still has a lovely case of "character design" though, and gross defiance of physical possibility. The difficulty spiked randomly throughout, and the general mechanics could be kind of obstructive, but I didn't really regret my purchase.

I'm apparently sorry as well.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

quote:

I'm sorry

quote:

I'm sorry

quote:

I'm sorry

quote:

I'm sorry

quote:

I'm sorry

drat it, this is pathetic

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

And I'm sorry that you Adam, are such a fantasy racist.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is Maya carrying a ginseng-root plushie? That... almost makes sense.

I like how Haren's "gently caress you, you killed my sister!" gets met with a "gently caress you, you killed my brother!" from Starboobs.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Part 1 - Dealing with Amabat (~20 minutes)
Part 2 - Trevel to Remie (~29 minutes)

Reith's been poisoned, but the tension from that crisis gets sucked out immediately. However, we finally get to speak to the priestesses of Amabat and hopefully find out more about Reith.

Nothing about her past, but they want to make Reith the pope

After dealing with a few assassins, we start on our way to try to find Reith her desperately-needed head-doctor!!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

- You changed your name to Ladrinne?
- Yeah. Used to be Shidhouse.

Magna Carta: Men(?) in Tights

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Oh, she genuinely has mental problems, this explains everything

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
She'll only have them when plot convenient though, of course. She seems to turn on the complete stupid whenever serious scenes aren't going on.

Also what was Calintz's punishment supposed to be? They seemed to have put him in a cell (with all his equipment) and then instantly took him out when someone attacked. I'm enjoying how little sense these scenes make when there's no visuals though, and the random flashbacks are pretty great too :allears:.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm legitimately surprised that they pulled the "Agreian is SECRETLY CALINTZ'S CHILDHOOD FRIEND" thing this early. I was totally expecting them to stretch that obvious plot point out until, like, the final boss fight.

So, good on you, Magna Carta.

Edit: Assuming, of course, that we are early. I know it's been a few hours but this game is laborious as hell so I figure it'll take way longer than it needs to.

Edit 2: Also, there are 44 fanfictions of the Magna Carta games on fanfiction.net so this game does, in fact, have fans. Just so you know.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 30, 2014

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I am glad that you and this game take such a bold anti-Hitler stance. It is heartening to see in this day, age, and forum.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

alcharagia posted:

Edit: Assuming, of course, that we are early. I know it's been a few hours but this game is laborious as hell so I figure it'll take way longer than it needs to.

Hours? Haaaa...

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Spiffo posted:

Hours? Haaaa...

So what you're saying is that Let's Play Magna Carta : Tears of Blood is a Koreanime retelling of Noah's 40 days aboard the ark.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

alcharagia posted:

So what you're saying is that Let's Play Magna Carta : Tears of Blood is a Koreanime retelling of Noah's 40 days aboard the ark.

40 days and 40 nights with some really dumb animals.

Reith is a puppy, prone to wandering off and introducing herself to strangers who may or may not want to kidnap her.

Chris is some sort of creepy lizard. A skink perhaps.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Calintz and Agreian are a male and female anime. Nobody can tell which is which but Noah and he refuses to divulge this information.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd think the disguised Yasons could just take off their helmets or something.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Unrelated question, but what in the world happened to Nessa's avatar? :stare:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Glazius posted:

You'd think the disguised Yasons could just take off their helmets or something.
Removable Helmets magic is too high level, probably.
The best part is, that she sent them without warning anyone, giving them them some mission abort thingie, or a password.

Glazius doing his rounds watering LPs is a sight to behold.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

Removable Helmets magic is too high level, probably.
The best part is, that she sent them without warning anyone, giving them them some mission abort thingie, or a password.

She just sent them out to the slaughter. We're the real villains.

Recording's been taking a while thanks to Dark Souls, but I'm finally back to editing footage :shobon:

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Just wanted to say thanks for playing through this game. I decided to grab a copy and play along with this LP but I just had to stop at the last update. The voice acting is attrocious and the game play is just so drat slow. EVERYTHING takes far too much time. Drawing your sword to go into search mode, initiating dialogue, loading screens. What the gently caress is wrong with the developers of this game? I was just staring at a loading screen and then I got to thinking why the gently caress am I doing this and couldn't be bothered to continue playing.

I'm so sorry you're all suffering through this game for us. but please don't stop.

Catling Gun
Jan 4, 2009

fullTimeLurker posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for playing through this game. I decided to grab a copy and play along with this LP but I just had to stop at the last update. The voice acting is attrocious and the game play is just so drat slow. EVERYTHING takes far too much time. Drawing your sword to go into search mode, initiating dialogue, loading screens. What the gently caress is wrong with the developers of this game? I was just staring at a loading screen and then I got to thinking why the gently caress am I doing this and couldn't be bothered to continue playing.

I'm so sorry you're all suffering through this game for us. but please don't stop.

See, Adam? You said I didn't have to keep saying this stuff.
You said people would get it.

People will never get it. I will never rest until people know that actually playing Magna Carta sucks so much.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Part 1 - Traveling around (~23 minutes)
Part 2 - The Labyrinth and the Pnosen Library (~19 minutes, plus four minutes of talisman combo chat)

In order to find out more information about the Eight Heroes for the general, we need to head for the Pnosen Library. On the way, we can drop off Reith at the doctor's place, where she can hopefully regain her memories. We encounter some training dojos, do a LOT of walking and wandering around (in the first video), wander the desert, navigate a maze, fight some nasty ghosts, and meet up with Chris' drunk father Jecht. All in a day's work!

Part 1 is all traveling and junk. There's a lot of walking, a lot of unintuitive poo poo that you have to do in the city to keep walking, but aside from Reith and Justina leaving the party there's isn't really any plot development.
Part 2 is where scenes happen.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Of the eight heroes in that book, apparently the only two who definitively died are the women who fought in melee?

I wonder if they're trying to tell us something.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
e: nevermind I can't read.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Ah yes. This game. This came out during the PS2's hey-day of "an RPG released every week". I beat it and it was, as a lot of people have stated, anime as gently caress. Tropes abound, so get your bingo cards out.

Also, this game spawned some weird/fetish fan art about calves.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Vrikkian posted:

Also, this game spawned some weird/fetish fan art about calves.

:confused:

Describe for me this thing. I don't want to look for it, but you brought it up and now it's your duty to delight and horrify the thread.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
I don't know if it's a thing outside of this game, but as mentioned a ton of the art makes bodies really disproportioned. I guess some people find this attractive since I've seen at least one fan art (maybe even part of a hentai novel, I don't know) where the females put even Chun Li to shame.

Unfortunately I looked around and couldn't find a SFW picture, or one that isn't official art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Haren is the best character in this game. YOUR rear end IS MINE

• Locked thread