Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
As far as I'm concerned, the FCC acts as a representative of the American taxpayers and has carte blanche to gently caress telecom companies in any way they possibly can for stealing literally billions of dollars in tax credits, grants, subsidies, and publicly-funded contracts they've failed to deliver on.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070810_002683.html
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8401102
http://www.newnetworks.com/failedfiberstates.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/20050207115446/http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/5210654.htm
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...-delivers.shtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zombie #246 posted:

I am honestly extremely confused; I had only vaguely heard stuff about the net neutrality going on last year with all the SCOTUS talk, but it passed right? Isn't that a good thing? Someone give me a cliffnotes.

the FCC basically announced it would be enforcing full-strength versions of regulations already on the books, which for years had not been because the existence of any regulations at all is verboten to conservatives. The ISPs aren't even doing the thing that's being regulated against, (yet), so there will literally be no difference for anyone at all anyways

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

I'm assuming you know what net neutrality is. If not, the extreme basic version would be: if I send data to you, it doesn't matter if I'm Netflix and you're a Comcast customer, if I'm on Sprint and you're on AT&T, if I'm an iPhone user and you have an Android, etc. The data would be treated the same. Companies have hosed around with this in the past so it's not an abstract problem.

The FCC passed a pro-net neutrality order in 2010 that was struck down by courts because they didn't justify the regulatory framework that they used to make the order. The FCC in 2014 was then going to try to pass some regulations under section 706 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 - a two paragraph law (literally) that basically says "the FCC needs to remove barriers to broadband internet adoption!" and pretty much nothing else. No one liked this approach and people got pissed.

Today the FCC applied Title II of the Communications Act 1934 to ISPs, which is A Real loving Law, not two paragraphs that say "yea broadband woo!!". This officially classifies ISPs as common carriers. This means ISPs cannot do the bad things above - blocking / throttling traffic based on content, source, etc; and can't charge more money to prioritize internet traffic. It also has some serious loving teeth: privacy requirements, a legal requirement for ISPs to interconnect (basically before this your ISP could charge my ISP extra money or else they wouldn't hook us up), and universal service, which could help rural/high cost areas get broadband access. The FCC also gets to come in and tell states and municipalities that try to put up impediments to access, like laws blocking communities to make their own broadband service, to gently caress right off. That was actually the first decision today - also decided 3-2 with the Republicans on the dissent.

The FCC isn't going to apply all the laws in the Act because lots don't really make sense to things that aren't telegraphs, so many will be forbeared. The FCC has a memo out about this (https://www.fcc.gov/document/chairman-wheeler-proposes-new-rules-protecting-open-internet) but the actual rules have to get the two opposing Commissioner's objections rolled in before it can be published in the Federal Register, and then 60 days later the rules are enacted.

This really shouldn't make a big difference to most people today - ISPs have done some of the bad things (blocking/prioritization) but not too often and typically in a limited fashion. But this will prevent them from doing it in the future.

It'll also get the FCC sued, because an ISP will almost certainly put a test case out literally seconds after the 60 day window closes. But it's important to note that previous court decisions that have gone against the FCC haven't said "we won't support net neutrality", they've said "you need to be clear under what authority you're making these rules" and there's no real reason to think Title II won't hold up because it's pretty well proven.

Except that you can't just decide to change your classification, you have to adequately justify the change. So the FCC is going to have to explain why they fought the Title II classification a decade ago but want it now.

Also, they're forbearing the universal service and interconnect requirements.

E: and ISPs can still throttle based on total usage, they just can't throttle specific content. They can probably still try to throttle some peer to peer traffic based on an unlawful content argument, but they have less chance of success on that.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ihatepants posted:

To add to this, this is how my Republican friend, who "supports the concept of net neutrality" explained why he's still upset at what happened:

I actually called in to my local radio station yesterday after the host made the comment, "..and if you don't like their slow/lovely service you can just change providers.." to point out that most people don't have that choice and that was the same argument he gave me after we went around a few times. Time Warner has the monopoly in the city I live in and if you live in their district and want something else you're going with Dish or DirecTV for your only other internet/TV options.

You could also consider me a conservative and I'm all for this reclassification of ISPs and the FCC stepping in to smack the telecom company dicks into the dirt.

I won't feel bad for Verizon until they take some of their billion [+/-] dollar annual profit and push it back into infrastructure. Same goes for Time Warner.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/vz/financials

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 27, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The most visible result is that companies will not be able to throttle Internet speeds and charge extra for faster connections.

To be clear - you mean they won't be able to charge you for the privilege of not throttling you, yes?

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Radbot posted:

Buncha middle American mouth breathers who have never worked for corporations (and discovered that they're at least, if not more, incompetent and inefficient than government).

It's funny how people don't realize there is no difference between a government or a private bureaucracy. The structures are the same by design.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

District Selectman posted:

It's funny how people don't realize there is no difference between a government or a private bureaucracy. The structures are the same by design.

Theoretically, the government is at least accountable to it's citizens. A company gives no shits.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

computer parts posted:

To be clear - you mean they won't be able to charge you for the privilege of not throttling you, yes?

Depends. I imagine that, like now, you would be able to pay more for a business account which gets priority routing. More importantly they won't be able to throttle one protocol but not another or charge netflix, hulu, Google, etc for the ability to be preferentially not throttled or (for example) let one company pay to have their traffic not count against transfer caps.

Can anyone speak to how this will affect iptv services such as AT&T U-verse which pipe the video over the Internet connection? I know that U-verse prioritizes the video over other Internet traffic, to the point that it can bring your Internet throughput to a crawl if it decides to keep four streams running (two dvrs will do this apparently). The video also doesn't count against the transfer quotas. I wonder if the argument could be made that this is not neutral.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

FRINGE posted:

Well I was wrong about Wheeler... so far.

My cynicism is still waiting for some secret part of the arrangement to show up.

There has to be a catch, Government doing something right hasn't happened since they sued Microsoft.

I predict China style content filtering, starting with "terrorist sites".

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Kalman posted:

Except that you can't just decide to change your classification, you have to adequately justify the change. So the FCC is going to have to explain why they fought the Title II classification a decade ago but want it now.

Also, they're forbearing the universal service and interconnect requirements.

E: and ISPs can still throttle based on total usage, they just can't throttle specific content. They can probably still try to throttle some peer to peer traffic based on an unlawful content argument, but they have less chance of success on that.

The forbearance on universal service was partial only - ISPs wouldn't have to contribute to the universal service fee (because No New Taxes) but they're going for a partial application of 254. I'm not sure how it'll play out though.

And for interconnect Wheeler's memo specifically indicates that they will consider enforcement actions:

quote:

For the first time the Commission would have authority to hear complaints and take appropriate
enforcement action if necessary, if it determines the interconnection activities of ISPs are not just and
reasonable, thus allowing it to address issues that may arise in the exchange of traffic between mass-
market broadband providers and edge providers.

As to the throttling, yeah, data caps are still on the table, that has never changed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kalman posted:

Well with the way appeals from the agency work the FCC's response to the inevitable lawsuit is "We just did exactly what this court told us to do :shrug:"

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Thanks for the informative answers.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Dahn posted:

There has to be a catch, Government doing something right hasn't happened since they sued Microsoft.

Yes, because obviously the United States is actually a massive illuminati run despotism whose ultimate goal is the subjugation of the world. Like, I know that the US government isn't exactly the most trustworthy organization in the world, and we have good reason to not trust it, but it also isn't some kind of overtly evil force who want to turn the nation into the real life counterpart for Latveria. And even if it does turn out that it does contain that kind of censorship clause, you can bet your life that the second it gets used that there will be a million different lawsuits over it.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Bottom line: if you've been using the Internet this long and feel you have to question the efficacy of net neutrality or what it entails, you should probably stop using the Internet.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Dahn posted:

Regardless of the intent or the actual outcome of yesterday's specific action, you can count on, with 100% certainty, that we are, in fact, on a slope to a regulated-content internet. There are too many people/groups/corporations who want this for either philosophical or business reasons to turn out any other way. Notice that even EFF is getting cold feet on this now, they're smart enough to know what's going to happen.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Dahn posted:

here's my gubbment-telecom regulation story. it'll show my age:

When I was younger (post Ma Bell deregulation) my parents had a land line that would act up every time it rained. It'd get crackly and you could barely have a voice conversation let alone dial a BBS. Sometimes the phone would be completely dead. They'd call South Central Bell and the same thing would happen every time - "a technician will be out in 3-5 business days", and when the linesman showed up the thing was fine so he'd poke around for 20 minutes and say "sorry can't find the problem". This went on for eight or nine months. They went through the call center to supervisors to district managers and everyone kept saying "yeah sorry we can't really do anything." Somebody, probably the poor linesman that was dispatched every freaking week, let slip that our lines had reached end of life and were scheduled to be replaced sometime in the next few years, and we'd probably be doing this same song and dance for a while.

Then one day Mom noticed the mandatory notice in the front of the White Pages that said "if you have unresolved utility issues call the state public utility commission". She called on Thursday afternoon, relayed her long story to the nice person on the other end of the phone who said they'd get in touch with Bell.

Sunday morning when we were all eating breakfast two Bell trucks pull in to the driveway and a guy hops out. The district engineer apologizes and tells us they've isolated the problem, apparently our line's insulation was cracked and water was getting in and shorting it out when it rained. Because it's cracked in a few spots he's already got two linesmen running new cable at the junction a mile away, and they're just going to put a brand new line in for us directly from there to the pole, and here's his business card with his home phone number on it and we should call any time day or night if we have problems any time in the future, and did he mention that South Central Bell is extremely sorry for all the trouble?

Six hours later we had a telephone line that was trouble free for decades.

I'm sure the reality was that Bell probably knew the problem for day one and had figured that the best cost option would be to string everyone out and settle quickly with the PUC if anyone actually complained, but the end result was the same. And I hold no illusions that Title II will necessarily do the same to ISPs, but if Comcast is forced to give a tenth of the response we got, things'll get a poo poo ton better.

Johnny Cache Hit fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 27, 2015

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dahn posted:

They also got a LOT of comments when they opened up for that and probably heard a lot of what citizens are frustrated about. Maybe they actually read information from the interns that compiled those this time. :shrug:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CrashCat posted:

They also got a LOT of comments when they opened up for that and probably heard a lot of what citizens are frustrated about. Maybe they actually read information from the interns that compiled those this time. :shrug:

The libertarians on my facebook page are all up in arms about how this is not only going to stifle innovation but also how the government is taking this over and it will kill the internet with that loving reason article which I refuse to read.

But, if you actually read what the FCC commissioner said it becomes a lot clearer.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Mooseontheloose posted:

Theoretically, the government is at least accountable to it's citizens. A company gives no shits.

Theoretically companies are beholden to shareholders, and the public to continue to buy whatever goods it is they sell (aka Free Market Magic). In practice of course we both know neither is true.

Most of the government is comprised of unelected bureaucrats. Elected officials are a small part of the government. I'd say the corporate equivalent of an elected official is C-Level management. Unelected government bureaucrats are just as unaccountable as corporate bureaucrats (we call them employees). In practice, if someone does something we as citizens/shareholders/general public don't agree with, a figure head is dethroned, and we're contented as if anything changed, but in both cases the bureaucracy thrives on without them.

Most of the figure heads in either case don't have any idea of how the real day to day operations work - they're reported to by people who are reported to by people who are reported to by managers who delegate out the work into such infinitesimally small pieces that most of the people doing the work don't really know why they're doing it. Ok now I'm a little depressed, but hey, Net Neutrality is a good win. Somehow good things happen sometimes :unsmith:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

District Selectman posted:

Unelected government bureaucrats are just as unaccountable as corporate bureaucrats (we call them employees)

I think mostly they're called employees in the government, too!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Shifty Pony posted:

Can anyone speak to how this will affect iptv services such as AT&T U-verse which pipe the video over the Internet connection? I know that U-verse prioritizes the video over other Internet traffic, to the point that it can bring your Internet throughput to a crawl if it decides to keep four streams running (two dvrs will do this apparently). The video also doesn't count against the transfer quotas. I wonder if the argument could be made that this is not neutral.

From what I understand, basic QoS such as a standard prioritization of traffic based on type is acceptable under the new rules, so long as all that traffic is treated the same within their own types. They'll still be able to prioritize, that's what QoS is all about. If Net Neutrality rules made it illegal to perform QoS, we'd have some legitimate issues. Additionally, I believe that for purposes of managing network congestion ISP's will also still be able to throttle, so long as they throttle all traffic for all users, rather than certain protocols or high usage IP's.

The kicker to these new regulations is that you have to treat all traffic a given type equally, regardless of what it contains, where it's coming from, or where it's going. So for example, AT&T can still perform QoS to prioritize iptv/video traffic over other traffic to ensure a smooth streaming experience, but they can't discriminate based on whether that traffic is coming from U-verse vs Netflix vs Hulu. The other big one is that they cannot charge the sender or receiver for a higher level of prioritization for their traffic. So you won't have any more poo poo like Verizon slowing Netflix to a crawl until they pay the robber baron piper.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Well with the way appeals from the agency work the FCC's response to the inevitable lawsuit is "We just did exactly what this court told us to do :shrug:"

If they had, they'd have used the 706 authority, not reclassification.

And they're claiming the ability to do enforcement actions against interconnect issues that violate other principles; they explicitly are not implementing "must connect" rules.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

hobbesmaster posted:

Not to mention the FCC today is not the FCC of a decade ago and expecting it to answer for the decisions of a previous administration would be like expecting the same thing from the DOJ, Congress, or even the President's administration. The FCC might stammer a response solely because it'd be such a "are you loving kidding me" kind of question to ask of an organization whose leadership and operation changes with some regularity. Even a "we(the FCC) were wrong not to take the approach back then and even the courts thought so and as such we're going to remedy that right now" would suffice. The FCC can then start pointing out how companies like Verizon have claimed themselves as common carriers and utilities and poo poo to get access and free money they wouldn't have had otherwise.

Pauline Kael posted:

Regardless of the intent or the actual outcome of yesterday's specific action, you can count on, with 100% certainty, that we are, in fact, on a slope to a regulated-content internet. There are too many people/groups/corporations who want this for either philosophical or business reasons to turn out any other way. Notice that even EFF is getting cold feet on this now, they're smart enough to know what's going to happen.

Ah yes, not allowing ISPs to gently caress consumers vigorously is the beginning of the end for us. Just like how Europe and Asia (outside of China) has been put on lockdown for the last decade or so, right?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Pauline Kael posted:

It's weird how censoring people wasn't even on the table for discussion until this was about to be up for vote. I do get that there are a lot of people fearmongering about hate speech these days but it was never even breathed in the same sentence as net neutrality with anything I read until basically just yesterday.

Either way though, the other part where cities can now more freely make municipal broadband to get around lovely companies like Comcast is what I'm more excited about than whether Netflix has to give Comcast a kickback. I don't honestly expect anything to fix Comcast being assholes except other entities coming in and doing their job better for less money.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Evil Fluffy posted:

Ah yes, not allowing ISPs to gently caress consumers vigorously is the beginning of the end for us. Just like how Europe and Asia (outside of China) has been put on lockdown for the last decade or so, right?

Why do you think that ISPs arent going to gently caress consumers now? What has changed for the positive for consumers?

I have some bad news for you polyanna types. Just today it was pointed out on an industry messageboard I frequent that the new rules apply to 4mb and above, classifying that as broadband. What do you think that will mean?

edit: I mean honestly guys, every time Obama takes a poo poo, you fall all over yourselves explaining how it's a transcendent poo poo that will change everything forever

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pauline Kael posted:

I have some bad news for you polyanna types. Just today it was pointed out on an industry messageboard I frequent that the new rules apply to 4mb and above, classifying that as broadband. What do you think that will mean?

The broadband classification changes mean a company can't try to pass off circa 2005 DSL-grade internet as broadband anymore and if they're required to provide broadband to X% or more of an area and don't under new rules then they have to make some upgrades. It also means that people whose sub 20/4 connections aren't labeled broadband any more might start asking around why and find out it's because they were being taken for suckers.

I'm sure that industry message board will provide some rational and unbiased information for you though. :laugh:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pauline Kael posted:

Why do you think that ISPs arent going to gently caress consumers now? What has changed for the positive for consumers?

edit: I mean honestly guys, every time Obama takes a poo poo, you fall all over yourselves explaining how it's a transcendent poo poo that will change everything forever

Gosh, I was pretty sure that meant telcos could no longer collect subsidies for deploying "broadband" that would have been shameful a decade ago. But you've truly opened my eyes to the impending threat of the telcos throttling everything back to <4mbps so they can put the screws to all the people lining up to watch Netflix on their poo poo connections.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pauline Kael posted:

Mind rewording that to be a coherent post? Broadband has been classified as 4 megabit for several years at this point. They upped it from 200 kilobits where it was prior.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

LGD posted:

Gosh, I was pretty sure that meant telcos could no longer collect subsidies for deploying "broadband" that would have been shameful a decade ago. But you've truly opened my eyes to the impending threat of the telcos throttling everything back to <4mbps so they can put the screws to all the people lining up to watch Netflix on their poo poo connections.

Can you point at the subsidies that telcos are receiving for deploying broadband?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

First post this page.

poo poo

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Nintendo Kid posted:

Mind rewording that to be a coherent post? Broadband has been classified as 4 megabit for several years at this point. They upped it from 200 kilobits where it was prior.
And the DSL by me skates by it just barely with an amazing 5 megabit... on a perfect day :(

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Pauline Kael posted:

Why do you think that ISPs arent going to gently caress consumers now?

They are still going to gently caress consumers. They are just going to have to be a little more creative about it. But that means less profit. Which is the only reason ISPs are against net neutrality because it certainly has gently caress-all to do with anything they claim it does.

An under-regulated industry is going to see more regulation. Of course they are mad.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

crabcakes66 posted:

They are still going to gently caress consumers. They are just going to have to be a little more creative about it. But that means less profit. Which is the only reason ISPs are against net neutrality because it certainly has gently caress-all to do with anything they claim it does.

An under-regulated industry is going to see more regulation. Of course they are mad.

Telco isn't exactly a sane person's definition of under-regulated, you realize that, right?

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Mr. Wookums posted:

First post this page.

poo poo

poo poo indeed. I see a lot of stuff from the Clinton and Bush administrations, but nothing recent. My question was simple - please show me subsidies that telcos (I dont know anything about cable) are receiving today to roll out broadband. By today, I mean, if telcoX spends $10 on February 27th 2015, will they get a subsidy for it. And if so, by whom?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Pauline Kael posted:

Telco isn't exactly a sane person's definition of under-regulated, you realize that, right?

Good thing most broadband in the US is cable.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

crabcakes66 posted:

They're not against net neutrality. You know this because they voluntarily implement it in most cases, even though they've never had an effective requirement to do so. (The Comcast bit torrent resetting wasn't really about neutrality, it was about Comcast not really wanting to allow heavy bandwidth usage, and the various Netflix disputes weren't about Netflix specifically, Netflix was just the most visible victim because the majority of Level3 inbound traffic was from Netflix - anyone whose interconnect service was via Level3 had the same problems, and Level3 was resistant to changing their interconnect deal.)

The telcos are against falling under title II and under regulatory requirements of net neutrality because regulatory compliance requires oversight and that does cost money. I'm not saying all regulation is bad, or even that net neutrality is bad, but that the telcos can be against being regulated without being against the specifics of the regulation itself, and can see a loss of profit in being regulated where they don't see a loss of profit in implementing the practices in the first place. Had the FCC gone the 706 route that the DC Circuit told them they should use, you wouldn't have seen any of the parade of horrible so put forward by neutrality advocates or antagonists, and you also wouldn't have seen legal challenges to it.

crabcakes66 posted:

Good thing most broadband in the US is cable.

Also not an under regulated industry, particularly the broadband segment of it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Anything that puts the screws to Comcast is OK in my book. That company is a massive pile of poo poo that grasps for monopolies in areas. Your choices where Comcast exists are often "Comcast" or "gently caress you." The connections are sometimes downright inconsistent and if you want a non-lovely one you're paying extra. Sometimes they just go down randomly for hours and Comcast gives no fucks at all. Yeah they aren't throttling stuff yet but I guarantee you that Comcast would happily make you pay extra for accessing "premium" (i.e., popular) websites.

The only way to make a company like Comcast quit being such a gigantic poo poo is for the government to step in, twist their arms, and loving make them. If they want to act like a utility they get to be treated like one. In many areas they act like a utility by being the only supplier for something that has effectively become essential. Yeah you don't need an internet connection but these days there's a lot of poo poo you can't do without one and not everybody can easily get to a library with working computers. I feel like this is partly a preemptive "no, you don't want to start doing that" sort of thing on top of "hey Comcast...we're watching you. Do not gently caress up."

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Kalman posted:

Also not an under regulated industry, particularly the broadband segment of it.

Good post. The notion here, if I can goonsay, is that adding a Federal Department of the Internet will make your internet experience better. Thats what some actual posters ITT seem to think.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Net Neutrality is good, force all conservatives back onto telegraphs if they don't stop bitching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Anything that puts the screws to Comcast is OK in my book. That company is a massive pile of poo poo that grasps for monopolies in areas. Your choices where Comcast exists are often "Comcast" or "gently caress you." The connections are sometimes downright inconsistent and if you want a non-lovely one you're paying extra. Sometimes they just go down randomly for hours and Comcast gives no fucks at all. Yeah they aren't throttling stuff yet but I guarantee you that Comcast would happily make you pay extra for accessing "premium" (i.e., popular) websites.

The only way to make a company like Comcast quit being such a gigantic poo poo is for the government to step in, twist their arms, and loving make them. If they want to act like a utility they get to be treated like one. In many areas they act like a utility by being the only supplier for something that has effectively become essential. Yeah you don't need an internet connection but these days there's a lot of poo poo you can't do without one and not everybody can easily get to a library with working computers. I feel like this is partly a preemptive "no, you don't want to start doing that" sort of thing on top of "hey Comcast...we're watching you. Do not gently caress up."

What in yesterday's announcement do you think will make Comcast quit being such a gigantic poo poo?

• Locked thread