Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Install Windows posted:

If the internet was going to be closed from this, it would already be so - this is common practice for the large internet companies.

Perhaps the internet is already closed, and I'm just making all these posts myself on a local server as some sort of elaborate MPD coping mechanism.

Check and mate, other Chokes personalities. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jealous Cow posted:

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I figure the telecoms agreed to this with the promise that the GOP will use legislation to subtly gut it.

Something tells me if this came at the executive branch's behest that it's going to be in place for at least two more years. Especially with the recent rise of :troll:bama.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

computer parts posted:

An important point I've noticed already: CDNs are (rightfully) not counted as "paid prioritization for network service".

I'm actually in disagreement on this one. Despite the large number of connections, most CDNs are shuttling around (minified!) text files. If Netflix isn't/shouldn't be getting preferential treatment (outside of normal QoS), neither should CDNs. Not so much because I have any particular problem with them, but because it's unnecessary IMO, and you need to keep the playing field as level as possible to close loopholes.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nintendo Kid posted:

The gently caress is this? No, most CDNs handle video and graphics and audio, in terms of actual data pushed. CDNs don't get preferential treatment, anyone can choose to host a service in an ISP's data center for rates that are pretty close to general market.

Only CDNs I've ever used are for javascript libraries :shrug:

• Locked thread