Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Beaten like the Internet will be shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Isn't the main issue that companies could start charging extra to use certain sites now!

Regardless these rules should not be changed, as has been pointed out, because the courts told the FCC how to fix the current ones.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The FCC will officially vote next month on the proposed rule changes regarding Net Neutrality.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/02/fcc-net-neutrality-feb-vote_n_6408854.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

More reports are coming out that the FCC will move to reclassify ISPs as utilities. This may also include companies that offer wireless data services.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/t...v=top-news&_r=0

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wheeler officially came out today and confirmed that the FCC will move to reclassify ISPs under common carrier under Title II, as well as wireless data networks.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/4/7977569/its-official-the-fcc-will-seek-to-reclassify-the-internet-as-a-utility

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I honestly did not expect the wireless part and I'm hoping that the telecomms didn't either.

What're the odds these proposed changes fail to pass? :ohdear:
The consensus is that Tom Wheeler would not have made this a big public thing if he didn't have the votes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah, the GOP trying to gut the FCC's authority is not going anywhere while Obama is in office.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently the president doesn't get to have an opinion on anything anymore

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's not a bug, it's a feature. I mean Comcast owns NBC so I'm sure they will come out strong against this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

LCL-Dead posted:

I don't remember seeing it anywhere:

Where is everyone getting the idea that the new regulations will force providers to go full throttle on the "bandwidth for everyone" train?

They changed the definition of "broadband" and made it a little more transparent regarding what we can see in relation to what isp's are doing with their client connections. Chasing the definition doesn't mean everyone needs to throttle up. It means that the isp's stop caging their sub par service a broadband service.

Please. Someone fix me.
Yeah all it really does is redefine what 'broadband' is, so now some companies won't be able to call their garbage service 'broadband' anymore. Nowhere are they forcing companies to adhere to a certain standard or face consequences.

• Locked thread