Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

Sydin posted:

From what I understand, basic QoS such as a standard prioritization of traffic based on type is acceptable under the new rules, so long as all that traffic is treated the same within their own types. They'll still be able to prioritize, that's what QoS is all about. If Net Neutrality rules made it illegal to perform QoS, we'd have some legitimate issues. Additionally, I believe that for purposes of managing network congestion ISP's will also still be able to throttle, so long as they throttle all traffic for all users, rather than certain protocols or high usage IP's.

The kicker to these new regulations is that you have to treat all traffic a given type equally, regardless of what it contains, where it's coming from, or where it's going. So for example, AT&T can still perform QoS to prioritize iptv/video traffic over other traffic to ensure a smooth streaming experience, but they can't discriminate based on whether that traffic is coming from U-verse vs Netflix vs Hulu. The other big one is that they cannot charge the sender or receiver for a higher level of prioritization for their traffic. So you won't have any more poo poo like Verizon slowing Netflix to a crawl until they pay the robber baron piper.

I'm actually going to take a guess that things like FIOS TV and Uverse TV won't fall under the Title II regulations (there's a section in the memo noting that some things won't be subject) as that traffic is more than likely going to be defined at private network traffic rather than 'internet' traffic since it should never leave that provider's network. What it *might* do though, is make AT&T/Verizon hold up to (or at least revise) the speeds they advertise, because at that point the traffic is no longer interchangeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread