Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Anything that puts the screws to Comcast is OK in my book. That company is a massive pile of poo poo that grasps for monopolies in areas. Your choices where Comcast exists are often "Comcast" or "gently caress you." The connections are sometimes downright inconsistent and if you want a non-lovely one you're paying extra. Sometimes they just go down randomly for hours and Comcast gives no fucks at all. Yeah they aren't throttling stuff yet but I guarantee you that Comcast would happily make you pay extra for accessing "premium" (i.e., popular) websites.

The only way to make a company like Comcast quit being such a gigantic poo poo is for the government to step in, twist their arms, and loving make them. If they want to act like a utility they get to be treated like one. In many areas they act like a utility by being the only supplier for something that has effectively become essential. Yeah you don't need an internet connection but these days there's a lot of poo poo you can't do without one and not everybody can easily get to a library with working computers. I feel like this is partly a preemptive "no, you don't want to start doing that" sort of thing on top of "hey Comcast...we're watching you. Do not gently caress up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pauline Kael posted:

What in yesterday's announcement do you think will make Comcast quit being such a gigantic poo poo?

Not much. I think at this point the only thing the FCC is doing is warning Comcast to not become an even bigger gigantic poo poo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pauline Kael posted:

So you're comfortable with the Feds placing themselves firmly into the Internet business to maybe one day potentially warn comcast not to become a bigger poo poo?

I'd like them to get Comcast to quit being a poo poo entirely but we're off to an OK start at the very least.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

When people say it has no effect, we're referring to the vast majority of the forum's experience. Like if you already got service, it's not going to get you faster or better service any time soon. And if you don't already have broadband, you probably aren't on here.

People that live in urban areas probably already have access to blazingly fast, consistent connections. People in less urban areas likely do not. I live within walking distance of people who still can only get dialup.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Dear lord, how long until that bill fails and we hear Republicans screaming at their opponents during elections "YOU VOTED AGAINST THE INTERNET FREEDOM ACT WHY DO YOU HATE FREEDOM?"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kalman posted:

... Except that a LOT of people watch ESPN.

You're making the mistake of thinking that ESPN channel fees are high unjustifiably. ESPN can afford to charge those fees because cable operators know that ESPN is the main reason a lot of people still have cable.

Yeah but isn't a lot of that because ESPN signs things where only ESPN can carry certain leagues or events? If memory serves they have a contractual monopoly on a lot of things. Your choices are ESPN or lolfuckyou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

skaboomizzy posted:

If you want ESPN, you're paying for everything under the ESPN/ABC/Disney corporate umbrella and that's quite a bit.

It'll be the same thing with "Discovery Networks". Just look at all that programming. Enjoy whatever TLC sinks to next after Honey Boo Boo.

And this is why ESPN signing exclusivity on a lot of that stuff is such an insane thing. Suddenly if all you want to watch is hockey they can force you to pay for a bajillion other channels you'll never even turn on. Why should I be paying for Hannah Montana if the only thing I really want is the Penguins games?

• Locked thread