Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kaal posted:

ITT We learn that the FCC can't make businesses apply for broadcast licenses or regulate anything because the internet is magic.

Yes, it magically not broadcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So this might be deserving of its own thread but I feel like they are somewhat related (especially since I stumbled upon it while looking at articles about the NN ruling):

Does anyone know more about Wheeler supposedly trying to reclassify Netflix et al. as MVPDs? I guess the hook here is that if he's successful it would give them the same right to negotiate to carry broadcast television that the satellite providers do.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2471223,00.asp
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shelly-palmer/a-la-carte-cable-is-almos_b_6095438.html

Is this legit or is this nerds getting excited about something that will never happen?

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 7, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

As someone who hasn't bought cable TV for a decade, I'm so ready for this.

I was legit surprised to see this FCC make meaningful net neutrality decisions, so I'm intrigued. I've been paying attention to politics for some time now, so I'm not holding my breath. We all know what the opposite of progress is.

As someone who has only bought cable for sports for a long time the idea of seeing the equivalent of NHL gamecenter not blacked out local would be the end of my cable subscription

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kalman posted:

The FCC ruling would not apply to on-demand, because they're looking at online providers of linear streams (continuous streams of content).

One of their questions is about whether a provider which was linear/pre-scheduled, but only occasionally (e.g., a "channel" that only showed SF Giants games but showed them only in real time and was off air in between) should be treated as an MVPD, but there was no suggestion that OTT on demand services would get MVPD classification.

Yeah but what's to keep Netflix from offering a la Carte access to broadcast content if this goes through? Sure it might not mean I can get shows on demand but even if I'm paying 20$ a month just for a linear stream of NESN for the Bruins games I just cut my cable bill by more then 2/3rds.

• Locked thread