Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
It really is as simple as; we know what we want the internet to do. We know how we want it to behave, and we have a good idea of how we would like it to be priced.
All it would take is some real muscle flexing by the FCC and Congress to ensure that this issue died a happy death. This isn't a business argument, or a practical argument, it is a political and ideological argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Install Windows posted:

But that has absolutely nothing to do with net neutrality.

Sure it does. We could, as a society; create rules that protected, fostered and guaranteed cheap internet to everyone. If we wanted to. The reasons we should do those things are limitless, the reasons we don't are obvious.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Install Windows posted:

Yeah things like improving customer speeds, or reducing profiteering, or even upgrading links between networks don't have anything to do with net neutrality. Net neutrality is an extremely narrow subject.

None of that is net neutrality.

If everyone was stuck on loving 9600 baud that cost $5000 a month it would still be net neutrality.

Here's a little refresher: network neutrality is that data coming in from another network should not be artificially slowed in speed, nor should it be censored beyond the bounds of existing law. That's it.

Holy mother of god take me now.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Install Windows posted:

"Sure mate, just the same way that it has nothing to do with the FCC or Time Warner or legal precedents or anything else. Those are all totally different subjects that have nothing to do with network neutrality. "

You less than 6 hours ago. The merger was approved, they will be the same entity, the entire reason anybody is even mentioning TWC these days is the merger.

What is your ideal internet situation? What do you want to see happen?
When you argue that somebody doesn't understand net neutrality, what they are usually arguing is their ideal opinion. Somehow, you miss the context of their argument, however. But really, tell us, what is your ideal solution to the internet. What do you think the answer is? I think you believe a lot of the same things we do, but we are arguing different things.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 19, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Install Windows posted:

Essentially the status quo, with eventual actual nationalization of infrastructure, but no bullshit pseudo nationalization.

What is pseudo nationalization?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Install Windows posted:

The poo poo FRINGE posted about setting arbitrary limits but still allowing the providers to operate as private for profit entities for stockholders.

So, complete nationalization and government control is what you want?
I'm trying to parse your messages, if I'm wrong, be more clear.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Install Windows posted:

Yes, eventually. There is no place for leaving it as multiple for-profit entities with tightly controlled profit/price/whatever margins on them.

Ok, thank you. So what we are arguing in this thread is process and procedure, not outcome. Right? I want you to correct me if I'm wrong.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Install Windows posted:

Yes, pretty much.

So before I said that we could do this poo poo now, if we wanted to... but I included price and access. That hosed up my messaging. I stand behind what I said however, because even in the context of net neutrality, if the FCC and Congress wanted to institute net neutrality, they could do it tomorrow.

Edit: I just saw your edit.

It seems we completely agree.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 19, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

edit is not post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

HBO Go is going to change the way we pay for content. I've been waiting for this to happen for decades.

• Locked thread