Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VitalSigns posted:

Well there's at least a 50/50 chance this court would not uphold the Dred Scott decision if it came up, so we've had worse...

That's a lovely prize to take home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Install Windows posted:

Time Warner Cable has charged modem rents by default since the time it was primary-branded as "Roadrunner". In fact, that's pretty much the most common way cable modems are paid for?

They sell them at Target, so no?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Install Windows posted:

That's not the default way to get cable modems. Your average user gets a modem when they get the service, and pays rent on the modem that was installed. Just like most people don't go out and outright buy their digital cable box.

Both carriers in my area (Cox Cable and Frustration, Centurylink Telegraph and Latency) explicitly offer a choice between purchase or rental arrangement, as well as listing retailers. You're right about it being the default for now, and the modems aren't cheap (>$100 upfront, less from third party retail) but that's changing. I don't know anyone who hasn't bought a modem from a store in the past couple years because they're aware they can get something better than that shitbox surfboard/DSL POS from Target/Best Buy/NFM, etc. Comcast hasn't shown up yet, so at least there's that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kalman posted:

Just out of curiosity - people who call Tom Wheeler a former cable lobbyist rarely know when it was. Do you know when he lobbied on behalf of the cable industry?

The Cable Center - "The Nonprofit Educational Arm of the Cable Industry" posted:

From 1976 to 1984, Mr. Wheeler was associated with the National Cable Television Association (NCTA), where he was president from 1979 to 1984. After several years as CEO of new technology start-ups, including the first company to offer high speed delivery of data to home computers and the first digital video delivery service, Mr. Wheeler was asked to take over the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA). He served as CEO of CTIA from 1992-2004 and was selected to the Wireless Industry Hall of Fame.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kalman posted:

So he was a cable lobbyist 20 years ago.

Does anyone think that the cable industry might have changed a bit since then and his "lobbied for the cable industry" past might not actually be as relevant as his being a tech VC for the past ten years, or is it just me?

Absolutely nothing relevant to today's aggregation into "natural monopolies" happened in the 80's. Nothing at all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hobbesmaster posted:

Thats more what I was remembering being described. They charge more for businesses of course.

So for what I pay in the US for 20mbit cable plus a DVR gets you 160mbit down internet, a DVR and about half the channels we get in the states.

Not that it accounts for that drastic a disparity but Japan doesn't have the problems the US does with people hating other people so much that they will literally move dozens of miles away from anything resembling civilization and demand those of us without the strange amalgam of agoraphobia and psychopathy that is colloquially known as "white flight" to subsidize modern living for their worthless asses.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kalman posted:

Legislators are underpaid for their qualifications. I make more than anyone in Congress and I am considered a relatively junior lawyer.

Not all congresspeople are lawyers, but it's kind of average pay for white collar work. A couple shares of BRK.A are well more than their yearly salary and those have substantial growth potential to boot.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Do these libertarians not see the irony in demanding a government committee regulate private business in the interest of the consumer? Surely they understand they're asking for the state to dictate what a set of businesses may or may not do with their property.

I'm all for more people behind the cause but god drat.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Of course the bar for "inappropriate influence" by the WH would be far lower than the one set for lobbyists and corporate donors which theoretically exists but is likely to be so high as to be outside the range of current telescope technology.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hangedman1984 posted:

Then whatever your do, stay out to of the uspol thread. It'll make you suicidal.

Currently it's loving hilarious off-the-charts gaydar readings regarding Rep. Aaron Schock (R-Downton) and his personal photographer who goes everywhere with the congressman. Congressman and photographer in question are the two gents on the right:

There's also a lot of :smith: about how hellish it must be to have to be closeted in a party that actively believes you are subhuman lest you come out and have them ruin your career/life.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hangedman1984 posted:

I find republican politics absolutely abhorrent, but they DO make a cute couple.

They'd be a cuter couple if they weren't living a torturous lie, that's for sure.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Who the gently caress wears a tie with jeans? What is wrong with this person?

I don't know, he kind of makes it work.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VerdantSquire posted:

I like how the FCC decides on taking literally the best possible path for consumers and goons react by making predictions on how it's all going to fall apart and that corporations will reverse all of it.

Yeah how dare goons not trust the government not to cave to organized corporate force regarding regulatory oversight.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

tsa posted:

I honestly would not be shocked if a majority of gay people vote R in 20 years. The idea they are a reliable demo for dems is solidly rooted in the republicans quickly dying homophobia.

OK this is funny as poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

tsa posted:

Yea I'm sure a bunch of rich white people will be perfectly fine with paying lots of taxes.

Plenty already are.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

Tom Wheeler:

"This is the proudest day of my public policy life."

"I've been working towards title II since summer [2014, before Obama's address]".

Maybe I was wrong about the former industry lobbyist? :psyduck:

I will happily say I was dead wrong and assumed the worst about him when he was appointed, given his CV. It's the good kind of wrong. He's a good dingo.

E: A DINGO ATE MY PROFITS

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 26, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kalman posted:

Absolutely nothing, but there won't be some kind of cost savings compared to cable. For the same reasons cable bundles, you'll likely see Netflix bundling.

What would force a change from their present model? Cable already bundles but Netflix doesn't. What do you believe will change their outlook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kalman posted:

... So you think you can ask Netflix to give you a subset of their on-demand library?

Netflix bundles already. Why would they change?

Because Netflix isn't tiering their streaming service now, nor are they offering content packages. Claiming their current offering is a "bundle" is being intentionally obtuse.

• Locked thread