Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Christie Declares Christie Exonerated!

Whew! Sure glad that's all over with. And to think the Dems would have gotten away with it if not for that smiley photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't know what to credit, but I was pleasantly surprised pretty much every news outlet seemed keen on avoiding taking the bait on this one. Everything I read made reference to how ridiculous this investigation was in their headlines and first paragraphs, and half of them made it a point to remind everyone their tax dollars paid for some PR bullshit that no one honestly believes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I think Christie is no longer made of Teflon in the media's view

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
So yeah, they also throw Wildstein under the bus, but they don't go all "flighty, emotional woman" :argh: like they do with Kelly. Yay sexism!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/28/nyregion/irate-friends-see-sexism-in-report-on-former-christie-aide.html

Also, Samson is nowhere in the report. lol

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Wildstein already had his moment as far as getting thrown under the bus when Christie attempted to distance himself from him and in doing so created this bizarre high-school score-settling impression.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Report as summarized is mostly what I expected, though I thought we'd get an email tidbit or two (maybe they don't have access to those since people were working with private email addresses) and I thought they might take this chance to move Samson to the Christie naughty list just to create the illusion of hard-headed fact-finding and consequences (and also to succumb to the fact that he was demonstrably involved). But nope it's just pulp fiction. Kelly and Stepien sitting in a tree, then they weren't so... gently caress Ft. Lee?

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Samson just resigned

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

In this press conference, Christie claims that he's "mystified" that this kind of thing could happen, but he's not sure if we'll ever know the true motives behind the bridge closings. He hopes, but he can't say for sure. lol

This idiot is either profoundly incurious or utterly corrupt. Take your pick!

J. P. Beagley fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 28, 2014

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

the boston bomber posted:

Samson just resigned
Huh, maybe it was a "either you leave or you're in the report" type of thing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Christie will not rest until he finds the real bridge closer.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I think Christie is no longer made of Teflon in the media's view

Only thing the media loves more than a hero is to see a hero fall.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Radish posted:

Christie will not rest until he finds the real bridge closer.

Eagerly awaiting thousands of bulk ordered copies of "If I closed it..." showing up on my local 2nd hand stores shelves.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If the...anything, really...doesn't fit, you must acquit.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If the gastric band doesn't fit, you must acquit.

enbot
Jun 7, 2013
Republicans like smug superiority (Bush), they don't dickish incompetence. The reason people thought he ever had a chance is because they forgot he would actually have to campaign at some point. If it wasn't this it was going to be something else, except at an even more damaging time in the campaign cycle.

A big flaming stink posted:

There's a difference between being a predatory capitalist that has absolute contempt for the poor and being a petty fat bully that has no sense of proportion.

One of these is the platonic ideal of the Republican party and the other is a guy that's trying to imitate Tony Soprano in real life.

Yep, if you think Romney's business / capitalism credentials were initially a negative to the public at large you've been spending too much time in a forum with active marxism threads- it's hardly a negative a priori in America.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

enbot posted:

Republicans like smug superiority (Bush), they don't dickish incompetence. The reason people thought he ever had a chance is because they forgot he would actually have to campaign at some point. If it wasn't this it was going to be something else, except at an even more damaging time in the campaign cycle.

From what I've seen these last 10 years, they like whatever is convenient for their goals at the time or is just plain contrary to the opposition. I'm racking my brain to come up with somebody that seems to sincerely believe in the overarching ideology instead of just wanting to get paid.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

enbot posted:

Yep, if you think Romney's business / capitalism credentials were initially a negative to the public at large you've been spending too much time in a forum with active marxism threads- it's hardly a negative a priori in America.

The specifics of his activities as a venture capitalist weren't exactly a boon for Romney. It wasn't just Obama who attacked him for shutting down factories and stripping companies of their assets, the original attacks on that front came from Newt Gingrich during the Republican primary.

Being a successful businessman isn't necessarily a liability in American politics but given the general tenor of the 2012 election I definitely don't think Romney's background helped him. If he'd been a successful tech entrepreneur or something then I could have seen his background being a bonus but the fact that Romney's profits largely came from shutting down unprofitable enterprises and selling off their carcases left him wide open to all sorts of populist attacks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Helsing posted:

Being a successful businessman isn't necessarily a liability in American politics but given the general tenor of the 2012 election I definitely don't think Romney's background helped him. If he'd been a successful tech entrepreneur or something then I could have seen his background being a bonus but the fact that Romney's profits largely came from shutting down unprofitable enterprises and selling off their carcases left him wide open to all sorts of populist attacks.

Also, Romney won the nomination as he shut the gently caress up and let all the others knock each other out first. Each of them took the lead in the polls, and when the public scrutinized them for whatever poo poo they had done, they failed and were removed from the running.
There were four at the last, Romney, Jesus Frothy Freak, End the Fed Freak, and Moon Base Freak. No one knew poo poo about Romney apart from he was rich and Mormon. And they chose 'rich' as the least worst.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Moon Base Freak had him so scared he basically carpet bombed his whole campaign with hundred dollar bills.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Naga Warlord posted:

In this press conference, Christie claims that he's "mystified" that this kind of thing could happen, but he's not sure if we'll ever know the true motives behind the bridge closings. He hopes, but he can't say for sure. lol

This idiot is either profoundly incurious or utterly corrupt. Take your pick!

Yeah either conclusion is bad for his future, either he knew what was going or was so in the dark that multiple staff members could do lots of shenanigans on the side.

He's pretty much going the Ollie North route and tossing subordinates under the bus to cover his bully political machine tactics.

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 29, 2014

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait for Christie to come in 5th in New Hampshire, flame out of the primaries a couple of weeks later and then put on another hundred pounds.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

ecureuilmatrix posted:

So yeah, they also throw Wildstein under the bus, but they don't go all "flighty, emotional woman" :argh: like they do with Kelly. Yay sexism!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/28/nyregion/irate-friends-see-sexism-in-report-on-former-christie-aide.html

Guys. This was all a big miscommunication. Bridget Kelly calls her ladybits "Fort Lee" and "traffic problems" is a euphamism for sexytime.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lamb posted:

Guys. This was all a big miscommunication. Bridget Kelly calls her ladybits "Fort Lee" and "traffic problems" is a euphamism for sexytime.

slutty subordinate closed the bridge in a fit of irrational womanlike decision making

The whole internal review was a hilarious charade since it focused on selling the out of control irresponsible subordinate story while ignoring all the other elements of story
such as the Port Authority involvement.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A statement from her attorney hints that Kelly may be open to cooperating if she's given the appropriate legal protections.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/28/briget-kelly-responds_n_5052368.html

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

FlamingLiberal posted:

A statement from her attorney hints that Kelly may be open to cooperating if she's given the appropriate legal protections.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/28/briget-kelly-responds_n_5052368.html

"Promise me that I'll get off scot free and I'll tell you what I know."

"Sure, here you go."

"I don't know anything more than you do! Ha Ha!"

"Welp."

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gerund posted:

"Sure, here you go."

"Welp."

It really is just mob prosecution 101. Kelly did the bad thing, but I don't doubt that if they promise her immunity she'll flip on Christie in an instant. And lets be honest, Christie was involve.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gerund posted:

"Sure, here you go."

"Welp."

most immunity deals would involve this for that trade, you pretty much have to provide useful info as part of the immunity deal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Immunity deals can still be voided if the witness doesn't cooperate.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlamingLiberal posted:

Immunity deals can still be voided if the witness doesn't cooperate.

How about if the witness cooperates but simply fails to deliver? I.e. it's just a ruse to give Christie ammunition to say "THEY'RE HANDING OUT IMMUNITY TO MY STAFF FOR WHAT?"

E: not sure why I put victim there.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 30, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

How about if the witness cooperates but simply fails to deliver? I.e. it's just a ruse to give Christie ammunition to say "THEY'RE HANDING OUT IMMUNITY TO MY STAFF FOR WHAT?"

If they lied about what information they have I'm pretty sure that deal gets voided.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FAUXTON posted:

I doubt he'd fall for that. He's formerly a prosecutor, remember?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Volmarias posted:

I doubt he'd fall for that. He's formerly a prosecutor, remember?

A job he got through dubious political connections seeing how Christie neither had the work experience or educational background for the job,

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

BridgeGate Hits Next Level As Feds Launch Grand Jury Investigation

quote:

Federal prosecutors in New Jersey have convened a grand jury to investigate the George Washington Bridge lane closures, ABC News reported on Friday.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/bridge-scandal-grand-jury

Is this a big deal or an expected development?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Naga Warlord posted:

BridgeGate Hits Next Level As Feds Launch Grand Jury Investigation

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/bridge-scandal-grand-jury

Is this a big deal or an expected development?

Maddow led with this tonight: as far as she can tell it's just a continuation of the grand jury that's been convened already to issue subpoenas, not a brand new one that's charging in guns blazing. In other words, not a big deal.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Just to play a little alt-history, if in the "I fired Kelly because she lied to me" presser someone had had the guts to ask Christie "should NJ fire you if you're lying to us now?" there would already be a lot of "should Christie resign?" stuff flying around.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pangstrom posted:

Just to play a little alt-history, if in the "I fired Kelly because she lied to me" presser someone had had the guts to ask Christie "should NJ fire you if you're lying to us now?" there would already be a lot of "should Christie resign?" stuff flying around.

"The people can fire me if they think I'm doing a bad job, but my ~electoral mandate~ answers that question :smugdog:"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Looks like David Wildstein has started cooperating with the feds.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
“When I first heard that he was accused of blocking off three lanes on the bridge, I said, ‘What the hell is he doing, standing in the middle of the bridge?”

Chris Christie responds to getting roasted with his characteristic good humour and class. In fact he only tried to snatch away Joy Behar's notes once during the entire 2 minute segment, showing some real restraint on his part.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
If his skin's that thin about it it's to guarantee the scandal remains an issue, whether or not he suffers legal consequences. That was an entirely predictable joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well now I definitely want him to run because given his temper, it looks like there's a real possibility he could snap and eat Ted Cruz on live television, just sort of unhinge his jaw and stuff that simpering little dough goblin past his lap band.

• Locked thread