Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Qublai Qhan posted:

I wouldn't think so. What exactly would be the charge? Indirect involuntary letting a person die? I'm pretty sure when SCOTUS decided Everybody v. Everybody they overturned the butterfly statute last year.
I don't know how likely charges would actually be, but a case could be made for manslaughter. You did something with disregard to human life that a reasonable person could foresee resulting in serious bodily injury or death (when the traffic doesn't move emergency vehicles can't get through either and someone could die because the EMTs didn't get there in time/couldn't reach a hospital).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

farcry posted:

I am from the UK so I have little understanding on how this all works.. But is this really a case of a "ruler" of a city decided to try and torpedo another persons chance at office by ordering a bridge to have its lanes closed for no reason. Then some workers actually closed the roads for no reason and did no work without questions?

How would that cause someone elses chances in politics to be hampered? Why does anyone have a useless power to close a road without some kind of work order that gets signed off by multiple people, how is that even a thing?

I feel that surely im missing something major in all this.
Christie is the governor of New Jersey, the highest State office one can hold. He's the equivalent of the President, just on a smaller scale. It wasn't done to hamper someone's chances at office, it was done as a childish act of retribution (the exact target still up for some speculation).

I'm not from the UK but I assume if you have a job and your boss tells you to do something you will do it even if it sounds dumb because you don't want to get fired for insubordination.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
This is the problem when people are loyal to you out of fear instead of love. They'll roll over like nobody's business the minute things get lovely.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SedanChair posted:

Do you want to clean up after that?
Maybe they could do it on the boardwalk in Atlantic City, and the seagulls could have a party.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

glowing-fish posted:

Can they legally, or even semi-legally, do this?
I know that such a thing as plea-bargains exist, but this would seem to be different than a plea-bargain. If they are investigating a crime, they can't base their investigation on what he is currently doing.
Sure. Our corrupt-as-gently caress bribe-taking AG was being investigated by our legislature, the feds, and the DA. He resigned in November and everything ground to a dead halt.

• Locked thread