Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

allta posted:

1%.jpeg :colbert:

Max cash worth of spirit shards.

Heeeey buuudy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

allta posted:

1%.jpeg :colbert:

Max cash worth of spirit shards.

How much do you box/merch every day to get that kind of shards?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

allta.gif

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

Spergminer posted:

How much do you box/merch every day to get that kind of shards?

It's from the beta server

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Hey guys vote on the thread, we need to reclaim our throne of being the only Gold thread on the front page of MMO HMO :v:

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
Content time!

In Branches of Darkmeyer, the avatar goes 'what was that?' when you throw a smoke bomb. Who knew that thing could talk? It also refuses to leave that room. Coward.

Also, I did a 200 vyrewatch corpse burn with maple pyre logs.

The total value of the resources I used was 759,600 gp.
The total value of the items I obtained was 1,149,892 gp.
The total profit of the items I obtained was 390,292 gp at GE mid.

It actually ended up being a little over 400k, but it wasn't really worth the trouble... only worthwhile if you want to do the task associated with it.

VVVVVV Nooooo you took a screenie of my plan :( VVVVVV

Themata fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 25, 2014

allta
Mar 28, 2011
:siren:Goons suggestion World Event 4 idea's:siren:

Okay finally done cropping all 72 images and I posted them into a gallery. It's worth reading them all because this actually is a good idea and jagex has made updates from the suggestions forums before (stealing creation I believe came from the suggestions forum as an example).

If you lack the effort to read through all of it, for sure read the big wall of text one's and saftey/danger should be able to fill in the random gaps I don't have screenshots for and/or explain it better than I ever could.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Huh, you'd think vyrewatch corpses would be better money makers, considering you can get clue scroll rewards from it.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

allta posted:

Okay finally done cropping all 72 images and I posted them into a gallery. It's worth reading them all because this actually is a good idea and jagex has made updates from the suggestions forums before (stealing creation I believe came from the suggestions forum as an example).

If you lack the effort to read through all of it, for sure read the big wall of text one's and saftey/danger should be able to fill in the random gaps I don't have screenshots for and/or explain it better than I ever could.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Themata brings up a good point.

Why we only got 4 'zas, jagex

I demand an update

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
You folks wanted to see my goony, deep-fried face. So here it is.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Son, you've got a condition.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
So I made a thread on the RSOF with a bunch of dumb ideas.

It's linked here for easy access and hopefully it doesn't get locked or anything!

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

You folks wanted to see my goony, deep-fried face. So here it is.

Ogodwhat? :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

allta posted:

Dosen't include my idea that the Goblins ran off with Bando's body at the end of the World event and created Mecha-Bandos piloted by Yelps.

Worst update :colbert:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So, what do I need to do to get a bank cleaning?

IceMateria
Oct 12, 2012

Posting with love! <3

Themata posted:

Content time!

In Branches of Darkmeyer, the avatar goes 'what was that?' when you throw a smoke bomb. Who knew that thing could talk? It also refuses to leave that room. Coward.

Also, I did a 200 vyrewatch corpse burn with maple pyre logs.

The total value of the resources I used was 759,600 gp.
The total value of the items I obtained was 1,149,892 gp.
The total profit of the items I obtained was 390,292 gp at GE mid.

It actually ended up being a little over 400k, but it wasn't really worth the trouble... only worthwhile if you want to do the task associated with it.

VVVVVV Nooooo you took a screenie of my plan :( VVVVVV

Of course you'd do all that math for Runescape. How much money do you have banked at this point?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
So I found the best/worst thing after someone pondered if there were Runescape themed mods for Skyrim.

Someone is remaking Runescape in Skyrim. And it looks like it's pre-RS3 Runescape as well.

There's not much there, but the Skyrim Nexus site thing has this gem:

All other skills have Runescape based text.

Other gems are that they're going to have 'player npcs'. And you can get your character put in. One of the 'suggestions' as to what type of 'favorite activity' is doing bank sales.

Development of this thing started 2 years ago. Last update is 2 days ago.

As far as I can tell, they've got from lumbridge Al Kharid to that mage's maze thing. The one that had the quest with it. They actually made the quest to go with it.

And there's voice acting in this thing. No idea how the combat works in this thing, since presumably they don't like EoC. At least one of the devs (at one point?) basically said they hated RS3. It appears to be what 'revived' this project.

Kgummy fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 26, 2014

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Kgummy posted:

So I found the best/worst thing after someone pondered if there were Runescape themed mods for Runescape.

No, I asked if there were Runescape themed mods for Skyrim. :colbert:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Whoops, typoed it. Though the thought of people actually bothering to mod in old animations and such from earlier in RS history is kind of hilarious.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Man, it has been years since I played this game. Is this stuff worth anything now?

Because I won't sell or give them to you.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Apple Craft posted:

Man, it has been years since I played this game. Is this stuff worth anything now?

No idea if you're trolling, but yeah, that poo poo is worth a lot of gold.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Apple Craft posted:

a good way to check is to wear those around other players and see how they react

joachim783
May 9, 2013

Apple Craft posted:

Santa's are worth 150m each last i checked and the masks are 100-188m each

joachim783 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 26, 2014

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Apple Craft posted:

If you don't trust us, then give them to FlexMentallo and he'll sell them, so he can pay the goon communism citadel workers.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you

taiyoko posted:

So, what do I need to do to get a bank cleaning?

Just post your current bank on here and PM me (on SA) with your login details, as well as anything you want me to keep (along with tab preferences?) and I'll get to it when I have time! :)

IceMateria posted:

Of course you'd do all that math for Runescape. How much money do you have banked at this point?

I'll post an updated bank pic sometime soon.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
I've got a horrible work laptop and lots of downtime, should I use my old account from 2004 or make a new one? I think I had a couple million which probably isn't much now.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Khako posted:

I've got a horrible work laptop and lots of downtime, should I use my old account from 2004 or make a new one? I think I had a couple million which probably isn't much now.

Use your old account. A couple million is enough to get you back into the game. And you never know what old items are worth a lot now!

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
An old extra account I had, if there's anything useful I would rather it be given to the goon bank.

BankBankkkkk

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Throw that stuff on your main account! Don't feel obligated to kick into the goon bank, it's more a way to give newbies some supplemental income than anything, and afaik the fund is doing fine - we don't actually need to bribe people to do Citadel work, because it's fantastic XP in and of itself, and then throws gobs of bonus XP at you to boot. Any time we run out of money, cit pay ends and we still have no problems getting things done every week because the XP is so good.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Am I going to open up a can of worms if I ask why people hate Runescape 3? Is it purely just "the end is nigh!"/nostalgia stuff, or are there some pretty good (objective) reasons?

The reason I ask is because I could never get into old runescape, but RS3 actually looks like a much more interesting game to me.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

Am I going to open up a can of worms if I ask why people hate Runescape 3? Is it purely just "the end is nigh!"/nostalgia stuff, or are there some pretty good (objective) reasons?

The reason I ask is because I could never get into old runescape, but RS3 actually looks like a much more interesting game to me.

No, it is still, and always has been, an objectively Bad Game, and should never be played by anyone. They've fixed a few mistakes, but most of the glaring defects are still readily apparent, and are probably never going to go away. People 'hate' evolution of combat, because they were stuck in their ways of "click this enemy and wait for it to die," and really hate that you can now choose to use abilities if you feel like it. They dislike this so much, that they would rather play the 2007 version of the game, than the current.

Runescape shouldn't honestly be viewed as a game for the most part, but more as something to do while doing something else.

Professor Oak
Jun 8, 2010
So I ran into this gem while doing Contact! earlier

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

As someone who spends a lot of time on both the RS3 and 2007 servers, the major complaints tend to revolve around the new interface and (unpolled, generally unwanted) combat overhaul. Prepare for :words:.

Major issues with the new interface:
Unintuitive, lots of options hidden under sub-sections or unrelated tabs. Tabs within tabs within tabs. Cosmetic store tabs hidden in weird places (pets are next to your stats tab, split completely from the other Solomon's store tabs), lots of unlabeled buttons that you have to experiment with to figure out. The notes tab is hidden behind several other menus, the list goes on. Many options are put in obscure places, basically.

Combat issues:
RuneScape has never been a game that requires a lot of player input for combat, or anything else in the game. It's largely a grindfest where you click and wait for things to happen (ex: Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, Divination and so on). The new combat system introduced a combat bar similar to that of WoW, and requires lots of active input to deliver maximum DPS. Most players seemed okay with this, because Jagex promised a Momentum skill that would provide the more AFK combat style players were accustomed to. As it turns out, Momentum wastes tons of ammo and is completely useless for most combat situations. If you're aiming for efficiency, prepare to mash the 1-9 keys thousands of times over. Furthermore, there's little diversity in the skills you place on the hotbar for any given situation. Ranged and magic setups basically have one set of hotbar choices each.

The weapon/armour stats were totally overhauled with the changes to the combat system as well, creating strictly defined hybrid, "all", melee, ranged, and magic armour types. The "hybrid" type of armour effects your overall block rating differently from the "all" type, for no apparent reason. Otherwise, the system is fairly clear: Mage>Melee>Range>Mage. Additionally, armour/weapons were split into tiers, and combat stats were made fairly irrelevant outside of flat requirements for equipping items (i.e. your max hit would increase in an obvious way if you raised your strength level in the past, now its almost entirely tied to the weapon you use).

All of the weapon/armor stat overhauls ended up making lower-level armour and weapons useless to those who were at a higher level, where previously some lower-tiered weapons could be useful to a high-level player (Dragon dagger specials for pvp/enhanced excalibur for PvM, etc.). Now, its almost required to have weapons of T80+ to efficiently do anything, especially bossing, where one could get by with lower-tiered weapons pre-EoC.

Overall, I enjoy both the classic servers and the live game, but I think the EoC update was a huge mistake for Jagex. The overall players online has dropped sharply, falling almost immediately upon the release of the interface and combat overhaul from 120,000 players online at peak times down to ~70,000 at best (With that 70,000 including players on the 2007 servers in the total, of which there are typically 10-20k online). Many, many players on the RuneScape forums have expressed a desire for Jagex to scrap the EoC changes entirely in favor of the old system, but the damage has been done already through lost memberships.

Updates not involving the Squeal of Fortune or Solomon's store have really become lacking in quantity and quality (How many quests have we gotten in the past year?), and really failed to involve the players in shaping the game. Compare this to the last year of updates on the 2007 RuneScape servers, where a skeleton crew of developers has stabilized (and grown!) their user base by taking ideas for future content from the community and running monthly polls on what updates the players would like to see.

I truly believe that if Jagex advertised the 2007 servers on the front page of their site alongside the RS3 servers, and implemented F2P servers for the older game, you would see an equal amount of users on each game. It's incredible to me that a seven year old version of RuneScape accounts for 30-40% of online users at any given time as it is, while charging the same monthly fee for membership, and speaks to the quality of the development team and community.

tl;dr: Confusing interfaces, button-mashy combat that doesn't fit the generally AFK nature of the game, and a lack of quests and content not consisting of "Buy More Spins!" or "Click this for an hour to gain 50k bonus xp in a skill of your choice" events.

Niavmai posted:

Runescape shouldn't honestly be viewed as a game for the most part, but more as something to do while doing something else.

Essentially, this is why the new button-mashing combat doesn't really fit RuneScape. Combat bars are for games you actively play. RuneScape is the window you have open while you watch Netflix/study.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Woah, thanks! That makes a lot of sense! Now I can definitely see why someone would prefer the old version and why someone would prefer the new one.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

Magres posted:

Throw that stuff on your main account! Don't feel obligated to kick into the goon bank, it's more a way to give newbies some supplemental income than anything, and afaik the fund is doing fine - we don't actually need to bribe people to do Citadel work, because it's fantastic XP in and of itself, and then throws gobs of bonus XP at you to boot. Any time we run out of money, cit pay ends and we still have no problems getting things done every week because the XP is so good.

Can you transfer things between accounts now?

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Khako posted:

?
You mean you weren't able to do so at some point?

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you

Khako posted:

No, you still have to do it manually.

Using supercompost while farming is the key to success!

I don't know why this happened, but things suddenly turned very blue when I arrived at Varrock.

Also, an updated picture of my bank! If you compare to the old one, you can see I did a lot of quests.

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
Let's not delude ourselves into thinking that the majority of players who quit were actually humans, as opposed to bots. Seriously, botting basically disappeared with EOC.

(in before "pubbies aren't human to begin with")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Dwarf posted:

Let's not delude ourselves into thinking that the majority of players who quit were actually humans, as opposed to bots. Seriously, botting basically disappeared with EOC.

(in before "pubbies aren't human to begin with")

Kind of interesting to me that they would even be so aggressive in combating the bots anyway. People who bot are still paying membership fees. Was there any real reason beyond "cheating is bad" for going after botting?

• Locked thread