Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit tldr:

- Interning at a company
- Discussing full time, haven't gone through the interview+presentation+test+etc process yet, but my team wants me
- Recruiter wants to talk salary before this process so we don't waste either of our times, wants me to give a number/range
- I insist on not giving a number and am more comfortable discussing after, or he can give me a range so that I can decide whether or not to continue with the interview process
- He declines, says that idea sucks pretty much
- I try yet again
- He declines, says he could say a range but, word for word: "our ranges are wide so if i was to give you one it wouldn't really help you to make your decision "
- I finally say okay, I'll give him a number next week.

How high of a number should I ask for?

Applying for a materials engineering position, somewhat niche.
Glassdoor: Mechanical Engineer, 78k-130k, 97k average (48 reports)
Manufacturing engineer: 82k-118k, 96k avg (32 reports)
Design engineer, 76k-128k, 99.6k avg (30 reports)
Mechanical design engineer: 72k-117k, 92k avg (10 reports)

I'm afraid of asking for the 100s because of my lack of experience. I've also heard rumors of starting salaries are mid 70s to mid 80s. Really not sure what number will be too high/out of their range/scare them off. I was really hoping for low 80s but now it sounds like I could get a lot higher... maybe...?

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For what it's worth, it's my third internship not my first, but that's not a lot of additional experience. I'll probably just get entry-level and might be able to squeeze out ~85k at best. I'll throw out a number in the high 80's and see what happens. Thanks all.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dik Hz posted:

I don't mean to sound antagonistic, but third internship? Doing more than one internship is going to make people wonder why you didn't get an offer after the first or second. But, you do sound like you know the job market and you sound confidant about your current internship, so I think you'll do fine. Just don't tell them you're not entry-level because you've done three internships.
I'm still in school, and they were all paid.
e; graduating by taking my last small handful of classes online since I have <1 semester left. It'll be part of the full time offer agreement.

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 8, 2015

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blinky2099 posted:

edit tldr:

- Interning at a company
- Discussing full time, haven't gone through the interview+presentation+test+etc process yet, but my team wants me
- Recruiter wants to talk salary before this process so we don't waste either of our times, wants me to give a number/range
- I insist on not giving a number and am more comfortable discussing after, or he can give me a range so that I can decide whether or not to continue with the interview process
- He declines, says that idea sucks pretty much
- I try yet again
- He declines, says he could say a range but, word for word: "our ranges are wide so if i was to give you one it wouldn't really help you to make your decision "
- I finally say okay, I'll give him a number next week.

How high of a number should I ask for?

Applying for a materials engineering position, somewhat niche.
Glassdoor: Mechanical Engineer, 78k-130k, 97k average (48 reports)
Manufacturing engineer: 82k-118k, 96k avg (32 reports)
Design engineer, 76k-128k, 99.6k avg (30 reports)
Mechanical design engineer: 72k-117k, 92k avg (10 reports)

I'm afraid of asking for the 100s because of my lack of experience. I've also heard rumors of starting salaries are mid 70s to mid 80s. Really not sure what number will be too high/out of their range/scare them off. I was really hoping for low 80s but now it sounds like I could get a lot higher... maybe...?
update: asked for $88k. a direct quote from a meeting today: "I took a look at the number you threw our way. I think it's more than reasonable, and in fact, we'll probably be able to beat it."

Well, I hosed up by not asking for enough, but had no way of knowing that was the case. At least recruiting is somehow willing to (possibly) offer me more than I asked for, for some weird reason. Not too worried about the $ difference between what they're going to offer vs. ~maximum value~ since it's likely I'll be moving between a few companies for the first decade out of school. I'll count my blessings instead.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rouliroul posted:

Is there a graceful way to go back on a range I gave early in the process like a dumbass? Cause I lowballed myself
Tell them you wrote a typo and really meant $180,000 instead of $80,000

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are typical signing bonuses at engineering companies (google, apple, smaller companies/startups, etc?) What's the typical commitment required to keep the whole bonus (1yr? 2? 4?) I assume they vastly vary based on position and experience.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steely Glint posted:

Yes, they have a great deal of variability. I can speak to the bonuses given for new grad software development hires at big tech companies in the Bay Area; initial offers range from 15k (Google) to 75k (Facebook intern conversions) with 1 year of commitment being standard.
Great, thanks. I'm in the bay area about to do the final negotiations from an intern->full time transition so I'll try to ask for a billion dollars and take what I can get.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
- asked for X dollars 3 months ago based on as much research as I could possibly do (unfortunately it was on old information, now they pay more. they forced me to give them a number despite a lot of back-and-forth)
- just received an offer for 9% more than I asked for
- I want to ask for more b/c why not (both of my managers said to go for it). I won't offend anyone except maybe recruiting but it doesn't matter as I'm already in the company.
How do I word it? "thanks, i asked for X dollars 3 months ago but have since then been in discussion with other companies and +5% is my new target"? and if they tell me to screw off, ask for extra equity?

edit:
"Thank you so much for this offer. I'm really excited to work at _____ and am confident that I will bring a lot of value and succeed here. The offer of $X is interesting, but after doing further research the past few months, I was hoping it would be a bit higher. Is it possible for you to bump the offer to x+10% per year? If so, I would accept the offer immediately."

That okay?

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 5, 2015

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not a Children posted:

Don't mention your lower offer. Don't even give them a flicker of a hint that you might possibly be satisfied, in the past or ever, with a lower number than you're gunning for.
Welp, tried that but he brought it up when I requested more money.

Me 3 months ago: fine I'll give a number, 88
recruiting's offer htis week: 95
My response: after 3 months of research i was hoping for 105, can you do that?
recruiting: i increased based from 88 already "and don’t have a lot of room on the salary side". may be able to bump equity, how do you feel about that

I'd like to try once more on salary. do I repeat 105 again, ask about 100-102, or just ask him what he's willing to do on the salary side since he clearly has *some* room ("don't have a lot of room")?

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rouliroul posted:

After nearly 6 months of being unemployed, I finally received a disappointing offer of (target salary -20k). I called another company that had made me wait about a month after the interview, and they offered (target salary - 7k), with great benefits worth about 10-15k. The second company knows the first one's number. I was hoping to get at least (target salary - 5k) as base. They already shot down my suggestion of tuition reimbursement for the MBA I completed earlier this year. Second company has pretty well defined salary bands for every position, so there might not be much wiggle room. Do I have any negotiation leverage here?
It sounds like the only negotiation you made was asking for tuition reimbursement. Can't you just ask for (target salary)? Or say "offer is interesting but i'll accept immediately if you can do (target, or target - 3k, or target -5k, whatever you think you can get away with).

rouliroul posted:

Edit: Blinky I'm jealous of your job market
papa prodan has it best

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

calvus posted:

Is this common? I have only ever gotten salary offers by email

My recruiter tried time and time again to discuss salary with me in-person as frequently as possible. I'm not sure if it was so he could sweet talk me during negotiations to agree to a low number, or if he just preferred talking in person, but I assumed the former and insisted that offers be discussed via email.

I'd assume the worst and that even if there's no pressure on making a decision, they might use your reaction to judge how far they need to negotiate. Call it paranoia, but the way I see it, it can very easily hurt you discussing in person, and it's very difficult for it to help you.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First offer letter was 50% RSUs, 50% stock options. I was told repeatedly that I could switch to any combination of those after signing, so I signed and in the same email requested 100% RSUs. they updated the offer letter and sent it over but assured me I didn't need to sign it.

Fast forward several months later and I'm finally awarded my RSU grant, but it's half what I expected and includes options. The stock price has tanked over 25% since I signed. Thus, the options will likely be worthless for the remainder of my work here.

I was originally told they couldn't fix it, but since I had it several places in email, it's being fixed and saving me over $10k per year I stay at the company.

Get everything in writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I tried to negotiate salary but was only able to negotiate bonuses, might be good to have a section for bonus originally offered/bonus negotiated? idk

Also: "number you asked for" if you were forced to give a number upfront

• Locked thread