Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

devmd01 posted:

So I went through a series of interviews with a company back on the week of the 7th. I was called by the HR recruiter on the 14th, saying they would like to offer me the job, here are the benefits, pay, etc and that a formal offer letter would follow once I accepted the terms. I asked her to send over the detailed benefits information and I would get back to her.

I did so the very next day, and countered 10k higher than what they were offering, which was 6k below what i'm making now. I was told that I should have a response within a week or so, so I waited. I waited until the 23rd and sent off a polite email reiterating my strong interest in the position and asking if any progress has been made on a response.

Nothing yet. When should I follow up next, if at all?

EugeneJ posted:

They have passed on you.

Man, that's lovely if true. And also scary since this isn't the first time I've heard of something like this happening recently. It kind of flies in the face of the whole "don't be afraid to negotiate!" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
I'm in kind of a strange situation that I wanted to run by you guys. I'm finishing up a PhD and last summer started doing some remote contract work for a local company. I was just doing some stats/data analysis work for ~ 10 hours a week. I accepted their offer of $45/hr because it seemed like a good deal for such easy work.

Things have changed since then, and I've taken on a much more substantial role at the company. I work 4 days a week, two in the office and two from home, still under the same contract. My responsibilities have skyrocketed - I'm looped in on multiple projects and frequently asked by the CEO to "take the lead" on things.

Now, a permanent offer is likely coming my way soon, and I'd like to accept it. In terms of negotiation, have I already screwed myself by accepting a number for what I thought at the time was going to be a 10 hr/week side gig? I'd like to make the case that I should be paid more given the increased responsibilities. I'm also doing a really good job there - so they know what they're getting.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Ok, thanks guys. I'm actually happy with the money, but I thought I'd figure out my options given the "always negotiate" mantra of the thread.

A permanent offer would add benefits, and I don't have any right now. Would it at least be reasonable to ask that the salary stay where it is despite the addition of benefits?

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

Dik Hz posted:

Like I mentioned earlier, get another job offer to improve your negotiating position.

Probably easier said than done given the timeframe. And I'd say that $45/hour is probably about what I'm worth, realistically. I sent out a smattering of applications about a year ago and ended up with $85k in Philadelphia, $125 in NYC and $63k in Pittsburgh. I turned them all down after realizing that moving away would probably solidify my status as a perma-ABD.

Current job is in DC, but I'd be taking that money back to Baltimore where things are much, much cheaper. So if I'd need to be in a position of saying "hey, company X offered me this" it'd probably be not much more than $45/hr or maybe less.

• Locked thread