Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Grumpwagon posted:

Gave notice today, got a very strong push back offer. They're putting together an offer to get me to stay, including the training I would have been getting at the new place, and the path to that job in the future (on top of money). I really like my current company.

There's a guy here who worked there before. I'm talking to him in a minute.

That said, I signed the job offer at the new company.

If the current company comes back with a better offer, how dumb would it be to take it? My position is in huge demand, so I don't think it's just an offer to hold me over to train my replacement.

IMO it's almost always a bad idea to take the counteroffer. If you really liked the company and wanted to keep working there, I would have just asked for a raise instead of telling them you were leaving so you could see what they were actually going to give you without them knowing they were possibly losing you. If you already signed the new offer and were prepared to leave, then you should stick with that since there was clearly a reason for you to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

OOPRCT posted:

As I feared, but have I rat hosed myself into a poo poo position or can I still recoup more money from the initial offer?

What field is this? What's your experience level? How many others applied for the position? What's the salary for similar positions at other employers? What are your options if this doesn't work out?

I don't know how often internships have wiggle room for salary. I also don't know how often asking for 50%/38% more with no counter-offer ever works out, as those both seem insanely high to me. However, your answers to the above questions will help figure out if you were being outrageous and they're just going to move on to the next person, or if you're right in line with expectations and you'll get your wish. If their number and your number are that far off, than either this isn't the right position/company for you or you need to reel in your expectations.

My hunch (based on the word "internship") is that they have a million people applying who are all similar to you, tried to get you to realize that the stated offer was pretty much the rate, and basically moved on once you didn't get the hint. If you're fresh out of school (or not yet out of school) and this is your first position, then your 1.5x number was likely insane and they possibly think you are arrogant or naive. I could be wrong on a lot of this though, so feel free to give more information if I'm reading too much into what little you've said.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Betazoid posted:

Your point is noted, for sure. The lower paying job is the one that suits my skill set. The commutes are the same and the benefits are the same (I'm on my husband's insurance since he's a govie). This thread has been stressing over and over that you'll never get what you don't ask for, so I figure I should counter-offer.

How does this look for a counter offer email? I feel like it's too soft, but the job is good, and Jedi Knight Luigi's response is making me nervous about declining it, considering I'm your typical English major type and this is still good money, though it's not *great* in DC.

In general, asking if you can negotiate is a huge mistake, as it gives them an opportunity to shut down the negotiations before they even start. You're in a great position, since it sounds like you aren't going to take the job if they don't budge. If that's true, then flat out say you want a certain amount, and if they don't meet it then thank them for their time. If you might still take it, you can be a little softer or make the number a little lower, but I still wouldn't ask if you can negotiate.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

potatoducks posted:

Was told during the very first interview that all contracts were non-negotiable. The offer was fair and my BATNA was house husband so I took the job but COME ON man you're supposed to at least play the game.

If you didn't even try to ask for more, then it was you who didn't play the game. Sounds to me like they played the game, and won.

That being said, if you liked the offer and didn't like your alternatives, then there's nothing inherently wrong with accepting it, but don't blame them for not negotiating.

• Locked thread