Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

I asked this question in the newbies finance thread so apologies in advance if it's not appropriate for me to ask again here. Let's say I'm making 100k as a permanent employee. What salary do I need to ask for if I were to go into contracting? What does insurance and assorted overhead cost in the US?

The rule of thumb is to divide your annual salary by 1000 and use that as your 1099 hourly rate; in your case, $100 an hour. This is because of all the expenses you'll have to pay yourself, as swenblack mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

asur posted:

It sounds to me like the reason you'd be hard to replace is because they are paying peanuts. In my experience, most people overestimate how easy the are to replace if the company is willing to pay the market rate.

I also agree with Otto Skorzeny and others in the thread, that getting an offer and using it as leverage to get a raise is a generally a bad idea. If you can't have an honest conversation with your boss about your compensation and your value to the business, then you should go just take the other job.

In addition to this, you should also be prepared to be told "great, take the other offer, see ya" if you try to leverage an offer at a place that is severely underpaying you. Bosses aren't stupid, we know what the market is and we know where you fit within it.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Jesus, dude. You are wrong. Having an offer rescinded is earth-shatteringly rare. You've poured about 10,000 words into this thread to exhaustively argue with everyone that it is something you should even consider. You shouldn't. The chances of them going "oh, you asked for another $5K? No, and also gently caress you!" are so small it is literally not worth considering.

Any company that you should ever entertain working for would, at the worst, say "Nope, sorry, offer is firm" and not go "HEY MAN gently caress YOU WE'RE JUST GOING TO GO WITH OUR FIRST CHOICE WHO WANTED THE SAME AMOUNT AS YOU." I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but the odds of any professional company rescinding an offer are quite literally zero for all intents and purposes that don't involve fraud.

They decided on you for a reason (and made you #1, not #2 or 3) and ultimately nobody involved really cares if you get an extra $5K or not. Really. The recruiter doesn't get the difference added to their check. The hiring manager doesn't get a bonus for keeping salary low.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Not Grover posted:

I spent some time asking around with my peers and heard responses back in the 12.50 range for day practices, so that does make me feel like I am right to be disappointed with that initial offer. Before I send a response back, I'd like to run it by the thread so you can tell me if it sucks or not.

I feel that it's kind of bare as far as justifications for increased pay, but the hard facts are that I don't have a lot of relevant experience in critical care and I am a recent graduate. I was a top student in school and worked as a TA in the school clinic teaching other students in the year behind me all of the small animal clinical skills and stuff, so while I'm not a salty veteran, I do feel that my skills are better than the majority of my freshly graduated peers. I don't know how to get that across without sounding arrogant, especially since there is a perception in vet med that school doesn't teach you poo poo when it comes to being in practice. Any advice or ideas?

I don't have time to give detailed feedback on this but you are way way way way too blunt.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

KernelSlanders posted:

Let's assume the lawyer says, "yes, KernelSlanders, it means what you think it means." Now we're back to a negotiation question. Or were you suggesting to have the lawyer negotiate the terms? That is going to be a much more expensive proposition.

Just say "I'm not willing to sign the noncompete as written. What can we do about that?"

They'll likely just remove it all together (you'd be surprised how often this happens) or they'll ask your problems, and you can say that you'd want to be compensated while you couldn't work. It's only fair, after all. Basically every place with a noncompete they actually plan on enforcing will agree to do so (primarily because except in the absolute most employer-friendly jurisdiction, a noncompete that doesn't pay you is likely unenforceable.)

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Xandu posted:

Discussions for 2015 compensation are starting soon at work. I assume I should be naming a number if I want a raise, right?

You need to go at least find out about the process and when you your manager has influence into it. At some companies the window for managers to input recommendations is already about to close, so you should hurry.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

KernelSlanders posted:

In negotiations over job title is it better to be "head of chocolate teapot making" or "director of chocolate teapot making"? I assume all else being equal chief teapot officer is the best, but is there anything else I'm not thinking of?

Director, but only because in my industry I have the impression that "Head of" titles are given to people who whine and bitch about not having a good enough title whereas director titles are earned. It's personal bias probably but hey, that's what everybody's opinions are :shobon:

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
If you said you were interested already, it's going to look really dumb to try to negotiate now. You already gave away your negotiating power. Playing unrelated offers off of each other won't work and will make you look even more dumb.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

FateFree posted:

software architect

You're not going to get anywhere near $200K and I wouldn't even waste your time. If they are at all calling themselves a 'startup' still you have no chance of that.

I'd be surprised if you even saw $150K.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

FateFree posted:

You'd be surprised at a lower than average offer for a java architect in nyc?

If you were going into finance, sure, it'd be well below average. Going into a self-identified startup? 150K is a pipe dream.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

OhHiMaahk posted:

Let's say I am a bonehead who did not find this thread early enough and let my current salary slip before an offer was made. Is there any way to dig out of this hole? Is making an insane counter offer a feasible strategy or just bad form?

Nope, you're hosed.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
You also need to see the cap table and somehow know what the founders and VCs plans are for the future of the company, because it's trivial for a company to dilute you to nothing, or not even to do that, but just to have lovely funding that has participating preferred rounds or the like and you end up with nothing.

Equity in startups (other than "we're going public next week" startups, but even then...) is 100% a lottery ticket, and should be valued as such.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Also, this: http://www.nceo.org/articles/stock-options-alternative-minimum-tax-amt

(You'll almost certainly be getting ISOs from a startup. And yes, it is correct that it is possible to incur AMT liability for options that you literally can't exercise or liquidate or sell to pay said AMT. Being 1099 vs W2 doesn't change that part, but it's still lovely.)

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Geez, this is a depressing "negotiation success stories" comments thread; half these people have never negotiated anything at all and the others feel like they're getting away with something for like $1000 over the initial offer which seems like nothing: http://www.askamanager.org/2015/04/ask-the-readers-tell-us-about-your-successful-salary-negotiations.html

I really love AAM but her readers are the most passive people I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
I'd also link to this, it's specifically tailored for one industry but still pretty good advice: http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/

It's very lengthy but a great read.

• Locked thread