Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I suppose this might be the thread for this.

I was applying for an entry-level position today just ahead of the University's career fair, and I came across one application that asked me what my expected salary was. I was pretty dumbfounded, so I just put "Negotiable" and moved on.

As I continued to fill out the application and reached the employment history section, there was a required field that accompanied each position requesting the pay I received at each position. :psyduck:

I filled them all in as "private". Luckily it didn't holler at me for a numerical value.

I don't expect to hear back from that company, but I'm not so sure I care.

Interestingly, talking to a professional friend of mine who is somewhat older than me, she was shocked that I wouldn't answer their questions. "How can they determine your new salary if they don't know your current one!?" I replied that I'm not even in the field right now so it wouldn't matter, but she was still convinced I made the wrong decision and should definitely read up on the matter if it ever comes up again.

I dunno, should I have used a word other than "private"? Mind you, this was on the application, not even during a negotiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

AmazingK posted:

All negotiation works the same, whether it's a job offer or closing a business deal. Unfortunately it's too much to type out, as negotiation is really it's own entire college degree.

It's really going to depend on how good you are at negotiating. Almost all methods of negotiation are basically different forms of compromise. Personally I don't compromise.

Yeah, my buddy is in Purchasing, and we've had some long sit-down conversations about what he does, strategies, BATNA, etc. It's all very, very interesting.

For content, I just found ANOTHER application that is asking me for all my pay history. This one is a Fortune 500 running a (massive pain in the rear end) Taleo-based system. Ugh. It's a shame they have double-digit numbers of positions that I am interested in.

Edit: removed non-pertinent info and moved to correct thread

Zarin fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 16, 2014

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Put zero in for salary. They probably won't filter for it, it's used solely for negotiating later.

You think $0 would be more correct than "Private"?

So far, I haven't run into one that validates for numbers only, which seems a bit silly. But I'm not complaining!

Edit: Also, Dwight Eisenhower, thank you so much for your posts in this thread. They are INCREDIBLY informative!

Zarin fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 16, 2014

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Cross-postin' a bit from the Accounting thread, but is tangential to this thread as well:

I'm a recent Accounting grad (May 2013) with a 3.72 accounting GPA. Midwest. Non-traditional student with a lot of customer service and manufacturing work experience, but I'm not over 30. Yet. (Still employed at a Fortune 50 company, in a role that should be management-level, but we have a habit of dangling carrots in front of our hourly people as a way to "gain experience". FML.)

I've been applying around, and have landed 4 phone interviews for entry-level accounting positions in industries (not accounting firms) so far. Yay me.

Unfortunately, three of these interviews asked me about salary. I took the advice of this badass thread and got them to tell me the range for the positions, which has been around $32k-$36k. :suicide: One of these was a fluffed-up payables/receivables position, so I don't really count that one. But one was a full-on Accounting position, and another was a Revenue Analyst position (which is pretty close to accounting, kinda).

I'm already making more than that. My company hires fresh Accounting grads in at $57k, and we're proud that we pay market rates, so I've been using that as my number for the "my research indicates that the ballpark market rate for Accounting grads is $57k", with the expectation that maybe I might accept down to 52k-ish, depending on benefits.

I'm wondering if maybe I should have said "thanks but no thanks" to these people at the end of the call? So far I've been saying things like "Well, I did say ballpark, and it could depend on what the rest of total compensation looked like . . ." with the hope that maybe the hiring manager would approve something more in line with what I want, should I make it to the next round. But, I know deep in my heart that I literally WILL NOT move for anything less than $50k, and would have to consider very strongly anything less than $52k (which is conveniently 25% above what I'm making now, give or take).

1). Anyone know if I'm aiming way too high here?
2). Ugh, maybe I should just look for stuff in manufacturing (management, etc.) and be one of those people who "got a job in something other than what his degree was in"
3). #2 is a horrible idea, somebody talk me out of this

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I don't know accounting salaries that well, but if you've done your research and are confident in the salary range then stick to it, particularly since you're already in a job that pays nearly as well. A lot of places will market jobs that are essentially book-keeping or data entry as accounting so you need to be really careful about what they're asking you to do. Have you considered going to CPA route? You need to spend some lovely years getting your letters but once you have it your options open up considerably and the salary range goes up noticeably as well.

I definitely want to get a professional designation; trick is, even if I take the test, I'm not a CPA until I have work experience. Same with CMA or CIA.

The plan is to pick up an Accounting job that pays better than what I make now, grind out a test while gaining the experience, and then either get more pay there or go wherever I want after that.

I have done the research though, and while $57k is what my company pays, I'm tossing that out as a "high end" with the expectation that I'll accept something somewhat less for a smaller company, etc.

Worst case, I'll just pursue something in my current field and just forget accounting altogether, I guess. There are certainly other avenues to pursue, such as American Society for Quality certifications or Six Sigma Black Belt, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Why not talk to HR at your current shop to see if there are any spots open to make the move?

There aren't, unfortunately.

I had an interview in Fall 2012, and company policy states that I cannot interview again until Fall 2014.

Otherwise, the company is hemorrhaging employees at both the management and hourly level currently, so there are not many opportunities for advancement at the moment. Everyone I have talked to is under the impression that any open jobs have already been filled before they were even posted, but are posted for the sake of formality. (Yay policy)

I did talk to HR at one point when I was rejected for a position due to the fact that I graduated in Spring 2013 and they were looking for December 2013 graduates. In other words, I was rejected because I already had my degree. HR brushed me off with an excuse that I proved false in under five minutes.

• Locked thread