Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Zarin posted:

You think $0 would be more correct than "Private"?

So far, I haven't run into one that validates for numbers only, which seems a bit silly. But I'm not complaining!

Edit: Also, Dwight Eisenhower, thank you so much for your posts in this thread. They are INCREDIBLY informative!

If it lets you input letters, I'd go with "Market" myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Transmogrifier posted:

They aren't a charitable/NPO; it's a furniture store with several partners throughout the state and seems to be doing well. I get the feeling they are low balling me because of my lack of experience, not necessarily financial. I'll try submitting a counter offer, but if they can't even meet close to it, I will end up walking.

As to the 90 days salary adjustment, keep in mind that a 10% raise is absolutely astonishing, so there's no way they're going to bring you up to market then if they hired you at 25k.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Transmogrifier posted:

Nothing aside from family and friends. I'm single, no dependents. I'm not against relocating.

I sent my counter offer of 55K, citing the market of the city, surrounding areas, and nation wide, as well as my having a Bachelor's, and they fired back saying that "because it's an entry level position they can't pay that much." They offered to do 30K, which would have been the salary increase after 90 days while still having room for salary increases as I improve. I will be writing my rejection letter shortly.

Thank you, again, for helping me out and giving me a little more solid ground to stand on.

Here, I wrote it for you:

quote:

Hahahahahahahahahahah, no.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

corkskroo posted:

Just to hammer home the importance of negotiating, this dude wrote an email and IT MADE HIM FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS PER YEAR. Not only that but the employer won out too imo because they got an employee who feels they value him and is probably more likely to feel invested in them. Everyone wins!

To put it another way, he got an 11% raise just by asking. How often do you get an 11% raise after you started?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

In something like nursing, you're always going to be in a fairly rigid bracket based on your experience and qualification, so don't worry too much about it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sarcasmatron posted:

Smile when you're talking, even if it's on the phone.

Further to that, do not take or make business calls unless you're fully dressed, with shoes on.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Xandu posted:

That always makes me wonder about the reverse. When an employer gives me a range for the position (before an offer, during the interview stage), can I expect to be able to negotiate to the top of that range, or are they going to try to stick with the low-to-mid part of the range?

They're going to want you near the bottom, you're going to want to get to the top, the actual salary is going to be somewhere in the middle. Whether it's middle-high or middle-low depends on your negotiating skills.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

burnsep posted:

After a series of interviews for a position I've been informed that the organization looking to fill a position has decided to go with another candidate. I strongly believe I'm the right person for the job and am tempted to contact the person ultimately responsible for the choice (with whom I haven't spoken yet) and make a case for myself. Would this be a faux pas, and would it hurt my future chances with the organization?

That would be like going to someone's wedding shower to convince them that you're really the right choice for them and they're about to make a huge mistake.

It wouldn't hurt your future chances with the organization, it would destroy them.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

While that makes a lot of rational sense, a lot of managers might react badly to "If I don't get paid enough, Imma gently caress off elsewhere."

I mean yeah, everybody's in it for the paycheck, but in our culture you're not supposed to come out and say it because

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

swenblack posted:

As an aside, I don't appreciate the straw man argument. Asking if an offer is negotiable is way to gain information about it without committing yourself, it's not asking permission.

It's a great opportunity for the other person to say "No, it's final!" which if they have any smart about them, they will do.

A better way to phrase the question is "Do you want me to accept this lowball?"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I was making a joke.

If you ask someone if you can negotiate, they will tell you no if it's not in their interest for you to negotiate. Open with a counter offer, don't ask for permission first.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Everything's possible, what it means is that they only guarantee your employment for 12 months.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yep, you're dealing with an idiot.

There is a correlation at how bad an organization is at hiring and how bad it treats it's employees. Unless you're desperate for the job, you should seriously consider staying away. Do not consider anything they say to be representative of the market as a whole.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah, gently caress these guys.

In other news, when considering a job offer, how should one assess the value of the employer having a defined benefit pension?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Not Grover posted:

Update: I just had my 90 day review at the emergency clinic. My hospital administrator was verbally very positive, but on paper I got lower marks than I would have expected in some areas that I didn't necessarily agree with (and feel like they were artificially low). I got a 12.5% performance based raise, and once my license kicks in, I'll wind up with another ~8% raise. Looking in the long game, I am not too salty about the marks I got on my review; when the next one comes around, the marks that were low will only serve to demonstrate how much I will have "improved". For my situation now, I'm just really glad that I put some effort into negotiating and pursuing those conversations.

There was another tech I spoke with who used to work there, and after a full year there and obtaining her license, was making 2k less/year than I started at. It still seems so crazy to me how I used to feel like I had to grovel for an employer to deign to grant me a job that I should be ever so grateful for and never dare to negotiate for better compensation. Thanks to this thread, I'm earning about 5k more per year than I otherwise would be. Awesome.

A lot of managers feel the need to artificially rate people lower so that they can show improvement on their next review. There could also be an unspoken rule that nobody gets a perfect mark, ever.

Both practices are dumb as hell, but hey.

• Locked thread