Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Transmogrifier posted:

I've been offered a full time position as a Front End Web Developer/Designer. I'm a relatively fresh out of college graduate (six months) with some industry experience. They offered me $25K/yr, which right off the bat I knew was low, and my search into entry level positions in that area shows the offer is definitely 50% less. There is a review after 90 days that could result in a pay increase, assuming I've transitioned into the web side of everything. They did not specify how much that pay increase could be. Given my lack of experience, is it still acceptable for me to request something higher? Not necessarily the 55K that entry level Front End Web Developers are making, but definitely more than 25K.

DISCLAIMER: I've only negotiated once, though it was successful.

I think I would ask if the offer was a typo as it's waaaaay below market and possibly less than minimum wage (didn't do the calculations). It also kind of allows them to save face and offer you a proper salary if they were lowballing you.

At least this is what first came to mind when I read the situation.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Keep looking for jobs. Use them as practice for negotiation with dipshits and getting your backbone to calcify.

This is the best idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I'm running into a bit of a wall when it comes to revealing a number first these days.

I'm getting contacted by a good number of recruiters now that I've updated my LinkedIn and in the phone screen they've all asked for an expected range and my go-to deflection before I got the position i'm in now is no longer working at holding them off. They always couch it in not wanting to waste anyone's time in case they can't offer what I'm looking for. I've been acquiescing and giving a range that I'd be happy with, but I don't know if I'm lowballing myself since it's in an area I'm not extremely familiar with and I'm not sure how to find out a market rate for this kind of position. It's not an uncommon one, but it goes by different titles at different companies with variable responsibilities.

Any advice?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Uranium 235 posted:

Remember, these recruiters are reaching out to you. Instead of giving them a range, ask them for a range that they can offer.

That is true, though I took that approach and was met with a "not allowed to disclose the range" from several of them. Didn't try with all though.

Harry posted:

I don't think there's much benefit from not telling a third party recruiter what you're looking for. From the ones I've worked with on the hiring side they didn't just blurt out "he wants $x amount".

Sorry, I should have clarified that these are all internal recruiters. I wouldn't have an issue giving out a range for a third party recruiter since they work for you and get paid based on your eventual salary, right?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

whitey delenda est posted:

Closure: company met her halfway with a 22.5% increase on their initial offer, guess we're moving to NYC :3

Now to sell off or give away half our stuff...

Thanks for the support yall!

Enjoy! I just moved here myself and it's pretty awesome! Though, like everyone said, prepare for a drop in disposable income. It's more expensive than you expect going in.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I'm being recruited by the consulting arm (non-tax/accounting) of one of the Big 4 and I have an in-person meeting with a partner next week. I've spoken with him multiple times over the phone and have had several other interviews (phone and in-person) with directors on down to senior consultants/associates. He just happens to be on the east coast (where I would be located) and wanted to meet me in-person to "firm some things up." I've also been sent the detailed benefits package that the company offers (info on deductible, co-pays, etc.). This is making me think that I may be offered the job during this meeting and have to negotiate while I'm there. Is this a normal thing and is there anything I should be prepared for with an in-person negotiation if I'm correct in my assumptions?

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 14, 2015

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Chaucer posted:

I work in Big 4 consulting. In my experience, the official offer and negotiation is done with the hiring manager. During my interviews, the partner/MD/etc only spoke about the position, the team you're working with, the client you're servicing, etc. I would still familiarize yourself with the median pay range for the position/office location just in case. It's possible that different Big 4 companies will handle this part differently. One thing I wish I knew when I was negotiating my hire: they can totally add on a signing bonus.

Definitely planning on asking for a signing bonus since I'm being poached right before the stock I was given in my current company vests. Also, I've been at my current company less than a year and may have to pay back the relocation assistance I was given (not sure about this and can't ask without setting off some alarm bells).

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The partner will be looking at:
- fit
- business sense
- can they put you in front of clients
- some firms will have the partner make an offer, others won't, so you should absolutely be ready to negotiate.

Keep in mind the advisory practices at the big 4 have relatively constrained comp bands related to their histories of coming from audit, so if the number you're getting isn't to your liking for the title you're interviewing for you may need to push to be in a higher band to see better pay. For example, an alternative to the consulting practice I just started was a 'Manager' level role at one of the big accounting firms. I'm billing more than double that hourly rate and was told, after some pressure, that there's a hard cap and the hiring situation is such that they're not looking for anyone in a higher paying band in the group I was looking in. I was given a hard maximum they could get to as a final offer so I went the consulting route as I had lined up a 6 month project which would equal the same gross comp in half the time.

Thanks for this. I'm actually not entirely sure what level I'm being considered at since they just like my skillset and I've been kind of shopped around to different areas within the practice to "find the best home" as they put it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I just had a second phone interview with the head of HR for a senior level position I'm interested in. I'm currently a regular analyst. I haven't disclosed my salary, but he mentioned the range for the position I'm interviewing for and it's slightly less than what I currently make. However, it didn't seem like it was a hard range. The first interview I had with the internal recruiter, she mentioned the position salary range was based upon an applicant's experience, background, etc. During this second interview the head of HR mentioned the range but said "around" the range. The head of HR and the internal recruiter have not had a chance to talk yet since the head of HR has been out traveling. I already have an in-person scheduled with the hiring managers for next week and the recruiter will be following up on this second phone interview I had early next week as well. Should I mention my concern then since I would expect an increase in salary to go from Analyst to Senior Associate and the related increase of responsibility and workload that would entail? If a range is thrown out there, how much wiggle room is there normally?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Saint Fu posted:

That's pretty much where I am right now. I have an offer in hand that I feel is pretty fair and I'd be happy with the number as is if they refuse to go higher. I'm still going to ask for more, probably about 15%, maybe only 10% haven't decided yet. The way I see it, 1) it's all business at the point and 2) no one's going to remember this negotiation in a year but the outcome will affect my salary for the rest of my career as long as I remain with this company. This comes with the caveat that I know they have invested a great deal of time in recruiting me and I don't think they have any other candidates lined up. If I knew they had a line of people ready to take the job, I might consider differently. It's all about leverage and not being desperate to take whatever they give you. If they rescind the offer, I'd be pretty disappointed but there are other fish in the sea.

It would be a huge red flag if they rescinded the offer just because you tried to negotiate. I'd consider that a bullet dodged.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I've been extended an offer for a position that receives an annual bonus, but I wouldn't be eligible to receive it until 2017 since I'd be starting near the end of this year. Am I off-base in thinking of asking for a signing bonus of some kind since that portion of the compensation package will not be available to me in 2016?

Also, the base salary itself is 30% more than I currently make, but they came in slightly above my target range (I was forced to give something by the recruiter near the end of the process), which makes me think I may have lowballed myself a bit. The position is hard to locate hard data for because the title can be applied across many different departments which seem to have different compensation structures. I'm happy with the base salary offered, but should I ask for more in this case? I could probably justify it due to my healthcare premiums tripling and getting less coverage with the new company.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 12, 2015

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you've given them a target which they have surpassed you don't really get to go back and say "welllllllllllllllllllll now that I actually did my homework I want more money"

That's what I figured, though I tried to leave room when giving the target by saying something along the lines of "Without knowing the full terms of the compensation package and scope of the position, I can say I would probably be comfortable at $X. This may change as I get more information about the full benefits package, etc." Which they said they understood during the conversation. Still not a good idea to come back now that I've gotten the full terms of the benefit package?

Though I'm still unsure about this part.

Chaotic Flame posted:

I've been extended an offer for a position that receives an annual bonus, but I wouldn't be eligible to receive it until 2017 since I'd be starting near the end of this year. Am I off-base in thinking of asking for a signing bonus of some kind since that portion of the compensation package will not be available to me in 2016?

Haven't dealt with a bonus before and the jobs I had before didn't have any room for negotiation (state job) or I created the position and got everything I wanted (my current job).

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is the bonus a significant amount of your total comp? My job is like... 30% of total comp is bonus, so that would be a non-starter (we prorate bonuses)

It's 10% of base salary and could go higher based on performance.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

asur posted:

Can you just ask for what you want in terms of benefits? I'd approach it that way first, and then maybe if they say no to that ask for more salary specifically because of the difference in benefits.

If the bonus is delayed for more than a year, I think it's perfectly acceptable to ask for a signing bonus to cover the lack of it, especially if the bonus was brought up in the salary negotiation as part of the compensation.

Just for anyone else reading this, you should try to get all the information you can regarding compensation (salary, bonus, benefits, options, etc) before beginning the negotiation as each factor can have a large impact on total compensation.

I already asked about vacation which can't be changed and the other issue I had was that my health/dental/vision premiums are going to be much more expensive at the new company for less coverage, so I may want to consider an HSA. Is that grounds enough for a small percentage bump in salary?

I'll ask for the signing bonus then since it was definitely presented as part of the total compensation package (the 30% raise I mentioned is just base salary though).

oxsnard posted:

lol it ain't gonna go higher than that.

10% is that number you can generally count on but will never get more than.

I hope this isn't true. Recruiter mentioned that 10% is base you can expect as long as you're doing your job and during a few interviews with Associates that are at the same level I'm coming in, they mentioned they'd gotten larger than standard bonuses at times. :ohdear:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I guess I'm not being clear. I was told that there is a 10% bonus. You get this if you "meet expectations" at your year-end review. If you do better than "meets expectations" your bonus is higher.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

so if i do better than meets expectations, what is the resulting bonus? 11%? 20%?

how am i measured for this review, what are the metrics used to decide if I meet expectations or not? If they're not objective metrics I guaran-loving-tee you that very few people "Do better than meets expectations" on an annual basis.

Ah, okay. Sorry, it sounded like you were asking if the bonus existed at all. We touched on performance appraisal in the interviews, but I don't know much other than they have a standard 1 - 5 not meeting --> exceeding setup nor what the increase would be at each level above 3. At this point though, I'm only considering the 10% in the negotiation because that's "supposed" to be a given and, like you said, I don't know what you have to do to get a 4 or 5 and what the corresponding increase would be.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ask what % of employees receive a 10% bonus and what % receive greater than 10%.

Red Oktober posted:

Also ask how many receive each number in their first year, versus other years. I've been places where you essentially get Meets until you're reaching the next promotion checkpoint and you start getting Exceeds or Above - but not until then.

Will do. I have a call with them later today to discuss the offer.

Thanks for all the info/advice everyone!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Chaotic Flame posted:

Also, the base salary itself is 30% more than I currently make, but they came in slightly above my target range (I was forced to give something by the recruiter near the end of the process), which makes me think I may have lowballed myself a bit. The position is hard to locate hard data for because the title can be applied across many different departments which seem to have different compensation structures. I'm happy with the base salary offered, but should I ask for more in this case? I could probably justify it due to my healthcare premiums tripling and getting less coverage with the new company.

For those that care, after a lengthy negotiation that involved an extra interview because I was asking for a salary bump that put me above their cap for the position apparently, I was able to negotiate a 7.5% bump in salary, a signing bonus to account for the lack of bonus in 2016, and a start date that allows for me to reach my vesting date for stock with my current company. Overall, I'm pretty happy.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Saint Fu posted:

:homebrew: congrats!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Enjoying the malaise of showing up to work at a company whose future you are now uninvested in? (I know I am...) Congrats.

Thank you both. And I'm definitely embracing the apathy that's settling in.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

redcheval posted:

Position I am very interested in, gone through the interview process and told I'm the top candidate. They want me to send my salary history before I get an offer, which is pretty brief (I haven't been in the workforce long) and also in some of the cheapest COL cities in the country. This job is in one of the most expensive cities in the country. I'd rather send something along the lines of 'I'd prefer to have that conversation revolve around my merit/qualifications and the responsibilities of the position'. Any better way to phrase this type of thought?

Take this from someone who has not been in this situation, but you might consider giving them your target number in addition to your history (factoring in the change in COL in new city) so that things start around what you want rather than what they think they can offer from your lower previous salaries. General advice is to never name a number first, but it might help in this situation.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

rouliroul posted:

I did give a range of target to target +5k at the end of the interview

And they came in under your target (probably expecting you to negotiate) with their offer. I'd ask for your target and see what comes back. If they don't move, then they don't move, but you should definitely counter with what you want, especially given you gave them a target range with your target at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Just chiming in for the eventual goon that keeps the tally but this thread helped me negotiate a salary 7.5% higher than the initial offer (even after committing the sin of giving a salary range and having the initial offer come in ABOVE the top of my range), a signing bonus, and a later start date than they wanted so my stock at my old company could vest.This is the most valuable thread.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 12, 2016

• Locked thread