Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Thanks to this thread I landed a 20% raise at my year review. Thanks, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
By being fairly underpaid in the first place.

I was managing a small team (<30) of contractors for $15/h that I'd practically built from the ground up; in fact I tripled capacity since I started. At my year review they offered "3% (Max)"; I countered with $21/h (an aggressive but not insane number--a metric I learned from this thread) with the argument that there was a metric ton of projects we would not have been able to turn around without my help over the past year. After a week and a half of phone conversations with the COO (whoever said that they're the ones who set those caps in the first place was right), we settled on $18.

For reference I have a BA in English and live in the Midwest (read: low cost of living).

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Richard Noggin posted:

And here we all affirm why percentage based raises are utterly garbage. Glad you're happy with things, but $18 an hour to manage anyone is still underpaid.

I still agree with that sentiment, and that sentiment is based on another thing mentioned over and over in this thread: your experience and merit can be used to leverage better compensation...at a company other than the one you're currently at.

That said I still believe I'll be happy with it for the next year. It's a fun job that I really enjoy.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

hbf posted:

Anyone have any resources/advice for renegotiating while staying at the same company? Basically, I was hired during a slow period a couple of years ago when the company (a huge one) was in transition. I was also new to the area and wasn't exactly certain of the averages for the city so I didn't negotiate properly at all. Now my specific line of work is in very high demand and the company itself is doing great. I could easily job hop for +20% increase elsewhere and I'm being headhunted pretty heavily. However, I'd prefer to stay as I really like it and the other options, while they do pay higher, have their own set of negatives. I know they are offering the salary I am gunning for because I referred a friend recently and he strait up showed me his offer letter. Another coworker also divulged their salary when they left for a new position a couple months ago. I am guessing I shouldn't mention these things though.

My current plan is to request a meeting and make my request known, while showing industry standards and my performance reviews (all perfect). My worry is that even though I'm basically requesting to be brought up to average, it's still a huge increase so they won't go for it. I am positive if I was hired right now I would get the number I am looking for though which makes this so strange. How firmly do I push? I don't exactly want to threaten to leave, because well I really don't want to, but I could if I had to.

I recently went through something similar to your situation. I'm guessing at best they will meet you halfway between the difference in what you're making now and what everyone else was making.

If that meets your minimum happiness quotient, then by all means stay. You'd probably be better off compensation-wise jumping ship, though.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The number one thing I've learned from this thread but still have not had the opportunity to test in real life is that you'll only be able to significantly increase your compensation if you jump ship--i.e., have competing offers in hand--yet here I am 3 years out of college and still at the same place that hired me off of Craigslist, and along the way I've made nearly 60% in wage increases from my starting pay. Going from an underpaid post-production grunt to capitalizing on other people's mistakes and departures makes me wonder whether I'll be subsequently useless in any other industry, lol.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Betazoid posted:

So I'm about halfway through this thread (thank you so much to everyone who posted updates and advice; this is an awesome resource) and I am expecting an offer today.

The role is as an Editor at an educational research think tank. I interviewed a week ago, and it seems like an interesting place. I have experience in education, and I'd like to return to that, but I don't necessarily have to teach. The role is primarily a copy-editor and proofreader, but I would also be responsible for document coordination, proposal editing, and training some interns in how to use Word effectively. It sounds super easy and kind of feels like it was written for me.

This is how the initial phone screen went down:

Recruiter: How much are you looking to earn in this position?
Me: Well, with the responsibilities for this role and the importance of the publishing team, I would like to earn $65k. [This is my current salary and I expected to earn less anywhere else because contractors gently caress over the government.]
Recruiter: Oh. Hm. I don't think we can do that. With your master's degree and four years of experience, the salary range for this position is $53k-$55k. Maybe we could wring a couple more thousand to get you to $57k. Could you work with that?
Me: It would depend on other benefits, but that is an income drop from where I am now. I want to keep talking, but I would like to see other incentives and benefits.
Recruiter: Okay. Let's get you in for an interview to see how you fit.

One week ago from today, I interviewed, and I think it went well. I met two managers and talked to HR about the benefits. They offer 401k contribution, 17 days PTO in year one, 20 days PTO starting on your one-year anniversary, and flex time to work from home if needed due to sick family members. The PTO is one bucket, with vacation and sick together. This was not a negotiating interview and there was no opportunity to ask about improving the benefits. That opportunity will be after they make an offer.

So, right now I earn $65k doing bullshit "work" at a company that lied to me about what my title would be. I was supposed to be a Communications Editor and got downgraded to Technical Writer, which in this role requires taking meeting minutes, sending Outlook meeting invitations, helping create contact lists for off-sites, and other secretarial work. In three weeks I have received no assignments and still don't have a building access badge, but I'm billing the customer.

It feels loving dumb to give this up, but I can feel my career stagnating, and I don't want the title of Technical Writer. It doesn't align with my career path as a professional editor. I posted about this in the Career Path thread (last page). I literally read Something Awful, browse Facebook, and apply for jobs, while bringing home $65k a year. The gravy train is about to run out, though, as the transition is almost over and I'm about to become a government secretary. The writing's on the wall. And while the $8k difference is a huge help to my household, my husband supports whatever I want to do.

My question is this: What else should I ask for to offset the $8k difference? Assuming they can even get me to $57k and not like $53k.
- I don't think PTO is negotiable; the 17 days starting out seems standard. I am planning to ask for more anyway.
- I plan to ask for one day a week teleworking, or something like that. Does it look greedy since they already have flex time?
- I'm not C-level, so the idea of a signing bonus is hilarious.

I'm just not sure what to ask for to make me feel better about taking a hit. This organization sounds really great and I liked the people I interviewed with. I just don't want to feel like I hosed up and lost money just to get out of a dumb situation.

My BATNA is just staying in this secretarial job, which is objectively easy but does not align with my desired career path. I am employed, so not in a hurry to take just anything, and can keep applying for jobs elsewhere.

If anyone else is in this line of work, I did look up the OES for Editors here.

Edit:

The offer came in. I think I have to decline it... They will pay $55k and provide 17 days PTO.

Thoughts for countering? That's a pay cut of $10k. I don't think I hate my job THAT much. It's just boring and not in line with my sparkly rainbow dreams of being an editor.

Judging by the job description I doubt they're gonna budge. I *wish* I got paid $55k a year to train people how to drive well in MS Word. If I were in a double-income household I would probably take the lower-paying, high-engagement job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I'd put number 3 in all caps, but that's just me :v:

• Locked thread