Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

I have a few questions about negotiating with my current company. Here's the quick background:

I work in the Midwest and have a decent position in IT. My spouse and I are expecting our first and want to be close to family. I have some former colleagues at a company that is halfway across the country but near one set of family. There is an open position that is perfect for me and we were very much set on moving but I recently went down for an on-site interview and really disliked the surrounding communities as a place to raise a child/live.

The interview went really well and an offer is on the way but I will eventually decline. However, I was thinking of taking the offer back to my current company to do the once-in-a-company ask for more. I have received yearly raises but never explicitly asked for one because, until the last few years, I have also had promotions which have significantly bumped up my salary. The company also has a reputation for not handing out anything but cost of living raises (mostly).

Soooooo, can I use this offer as leverage? If my current company calls my bluff I'm not leaving, so I don't want to get burned. Of course, I don't plan on telling them the location of the offer.

Tl;dr. Anyone have any advice for using an out of state offer that I don't plan on taking to try and get a raise at my current position?

Thanks thread, I've learned so much from you already!

*Edit for clarity

Fireside Nut fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I'd say be very very careful in trying to lever an external offer for a pay raise without being fully ready to take said offer. If you show and balk you then have no credibility and you'll be in a very poor negotiating position for the rest of your time at that company.

Thank you to all who responded. I figured it was a bad move so I'm glad I asked. I think I'll take swenblack's advice and simply ask for a raise without leveraging the outside offer.

• Locked thread