Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Funddevi posted:

There's a good chance that I'll be getting a phone call soon to talk about pay for an internship I'm trying to score. The interview went fairly well, I think, and I'll hopefully be hearing from them in the near future. The HR person said she would call to specifically figure out what pay we're looking at, so I've been doing some research to make sure I don't get shafted.

Generally, how, uh, optimistic are glassdoor's salary estimates? Internships for the specific company are shown between $10-20/h. The low end being HR, and the high end being software dev/engineering. I'm going for an IT help desk position, which doesn't have a specific entry on glassdoor. The generic "intern" pay is about $16. Other companies show $10-15 for help desk interns.

Right now I'm working a decently-paying retail job, but I'd really love the internship. It's pretty much exactly what I want and it would be a great learning experience. I just really don't want to short myself on pay, especially because I might have to work fewer hours than the retail gig gives me.

Any advice? Or is this a classic case of getting them to throw out a number first and going from there? Does anyone know what pay range these kinds of positions are in?

Edit: fwiw I haven't disclosed my current pay, and I have thought about what the bare minimum for me to accept would be.

It depends. I worked for a company that did help desk for two big clients and one half of the building got paid $15, the other half got $10.50 for ostensibly the same job. And these were full time non-interns. It depends on what the client is willing to pay. And also we had an office in the Phillipines that paid way less but more work was starting to go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread