Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maxwell.mu
Jul 10, 2011
I have a job offer and am wondering how to negotiate it. I already have a job (been at it for a few years), and would be fine staying where I am, but want to maximize my salary if possible. Due to lack of skills, I did a poor job of negotiating the offer for the job I have now. What I make now is not bad, but it's lower than where it should be given that my field is fairly competitive right now (software engineering and I live in Seattle), I think. I don't actually know for sure what a reasonable salary is for my position (I'm pretty new to this), but from looking around on glassdoor, what I make is lower than the low end listed and about 20k lower than the average. I know that numbers on there are not always accurate, but I think it gives you a general sense of where you should be at.

Anyway, I'd welcome any advice about negotiating in general, but I also have a specific question. I'm wondering what I should say if the new company asks me how much I made at my old company when discussing compensation (I got the offer a couple days ago but they haven't settled the details of the compensation package yet, and from the looks of it they're going to talk to me to figure that out). Do I

* lie and say it is $y, where y is what I think the reasonably salary for my position is? Again, if they think y is too high and come back with something less than y, or just drop off altogether, that's ok. But are there any downsides to doing this?

* say that I don't want to share that, but that I think $y is reasonable and I expect something in that range? Then I don't have to lie, but I look shady.

* say that it is $x. I'm honest and not shady, but I've anchored them to a lower starting point and have possibly needlessly thrown away money.

If they offer me something between x and y, I'd probably take it... I'm guessing that my current company will counter-offer, but I can't say for sure. So I have to assume there will be no counter-off, and try to make the most out of this. Not sure what to do here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread