Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Zarin posted:

I dunno, should I have used a word other than "private"? Mind you, this was on the application, not even during a negotiation.

Nope, that's fine. The only thing that happens when you give up your previous salary is that the company gets negotiating leverage over you.

The reason why people claim that your first salary anchors all future salaries is because they subscribe to ideas like this.

Your skills now are worth a certain amount to the company up to a max amount, which they have no incentive to disclose. Your previous salary has no bearing on the value of your current skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Baby Babbeh posted:

Sometimes giving a range works out for you. Last time I switched jobs, when asked I told them my real range+10 percent, and then they gave me the top of that range for some reason. I'm not sure if I'm good at negotiating or this company is just bad at it.

You're bad at negotiating. They were probably willing to shell out a whole lot more, but gladly gave you the price you wanted.

• Locked thread