Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Admiral101 posted:

Option #1 is pretty popular, but will very badly backfire if they ask for a W-2/paystub from your previous job (which they'll ask for in order to "confirm prior work experience")

If your future employer is asking for a W2 or a paystub DO NOT WORK THERE. That's extremely unprofessional. Huge red flag. If they need to verify employment dates they will contact your previous employer's HR department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Zarin posted:

I dunno, should I have used a word other than "private"? Mind you, this was on the application, not even during a negotiation.

What would you have written if the employer had a field "What is your dick (or bra) size?"

That's the same level of invasiveness into something that is zero part of their business in my mind. If they don't accept private as an answer to a private question, you don't want to work from them anyway.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I've been applying for entry level public sector transportation engineering jobs, and on Friday I was given an offer by hometown public works department for an internship with a virtual guarantee of full time employment within a year (and if for some reason it doesn't work out like that, I'm also returning to school for my master's and will have a year of experience so I'm ok with that). They've given me a deadline of close of business Monday to accept, and I intend to do so.

However, I also interviewed strongly with a state DOT of a different state two weeks ago, and have not heard back from them. I'd prefer to take that job if offered because it's full time out of the gate and I'm interested in moving to the area. Is there any way to e-mail them to try to get an offer from them before I have to reply to the other job that doesn't completely sacrifice any position I have bargaining for salary? I feel like if I say "another job offered me, but I'm yours if you can offer me today" leaves me with absolutely zero leverage.

Of course there's a strong chance that they won't be able to do that because this sort of stuff takes forever in the public sector, and there's also a chance this is all pointless because they already hired someone else and are just waiting for him to pass a drug test or whatever before sending rejections, but I figure trying is better than not trying.

"I have received an offer with X deadline, but because your department is so xyz I would like to hear a response from you before I make my decision."

However getting that turned around in 1 business day is a bit unlikely.

• Locked thread