Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
I'm suppose to have an interview next week for a senior level role for my position. If all goes well, I'll be utilizing everything I learned from this thread hopefully sometime next month, which I summarized down to: don't give out the first number and you're golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
:stonk: There's no way that recruiter is for real.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
With all this negotiating, I figure, you're in a less favorable situation when dealing with an internal job transition considering they know how much I already make?

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

spwrozek posted:

Where I work if you go up a grade it is 10% that's it. A lateral is 4% max.

drat. My fiancee and I both work at the same company and she got a 23% bump after going one grade level up when she transferred to current position. She didn't bother negotiating because it was well above what she was expecting.

If I'm offered this position, I want to ask for more, but I figure they're just going to laugh at me and tell me it's non-negotiable.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
I didn't get the job offer and now I am sad :smith: I guess I'll have to wait until next time before I can put my negotiation tactics to the test.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
I have a negotiation question, but I've been jumping around between Resume and Interviews thread and this one, so here's a background story on my situation.

I applied for a senior position that requires 5 years of clinical operations experience, interviewed, and was told today the recruiter will have an offer for me early next week. Yay!

While I have 2 years of clinical research and 1 year and 9 months of clinical operations experience for a total of ~4 years of clinical experience, I don't have the 5 years of actual clinical operations experience, which the interviewers and the recruiter pointed out. My current company does not make the distinction between clinical research and clinical operations, but this new company does as the job was originally supposed to be posted as a project management/operations position that supports clinical studies. But a lot of the core skills/experience in both clinical research and clinical operations carry over to this position for which I applied.

The recruiter already let me know the salary range for the senior position is from $75k-$86k, which is more than $10k above my current pay, but she wasn't sure how that would work as I didn't meet the "minimum of 5 clin ops experience" requirement. She briefly mentioned the possibility of a level II position, which is a level below senior.

So, while I don't have the offer yet, I want to strategize how I can respond in the event they offer the worst case scenario: level II with a much lower salary range. I understand my situation, but my goal out of this negotiation is to get that senior title because it will, at minimum, get me to $75k. If they offer the senior title and $75k (I would be completely happy with this), should I bother countering considering I don't meet one of the main requirements which they pointed out? Do I even have a leg to stand on?

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Wow! I didn't realize I was in a more favorable situation than I assumed. I thought I was at their mercy. It looks like it'll ultimately depend on whether or not they give me a senior title. Great advice, everyone. This guides me a lot more hope!

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
HR is short staffed so things are backlogged :negative: Waiting for this offer is becoming physically painful

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

Hand of the King posted:

HR is short staffed so things are backlogged :negative: Waiting for this offer is becoming physically painful

gently caress. Recruiter let me know they cannot move forward with the senior position due to the 4 vs 5 years thing. They want to put me at a level below and rescope the position. They'll have to recreate the requisition and the recruiter will push to keep the salary range. I wouldn't have to reinterview. This is another week delay.
:sigh:

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Can someone please give me advice on how to tell a company to hurry up with the hiring process to see where I am (and if they would make me an offer) because another company just offered a job to me?

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

swenblack posted:

Dear [Hiring manager],

I'm very excited to work for [your company], but I have another offer with a deadline of [whenever]. Unless I receive an offer from you before the deadline, I plan on accepting their offer. Please let me know as soon as is reasonable if you still think I'm a good fit for your team.

Thanks,
HotK

They'll appreciate you being professional and to the point. If I received an e-mail along these lines from someone I planned on hiring, I'd print if off, take it to the VP-Operations, and tell her to get off her rear end and authorize the budget for the hire. If it wasn't someone I planned on hiring, I'd write them back immediately and tell them to take the other offer.

Thanks, my message to the recruiter at company B was pretty similar. However, I need to inform the company A whether or not I'm going to take the (verbal) offer by EOB tomorrow (6/19) and it's already half way through today (west coast). Should I just call company B if I don't see a response in the next hour?

Company A's was just a verbal offer and they won't give me a written offer unless I give them the OK. I'm hoping company B can at least give me a verbal offer.

Hand of the King fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 18, 2014

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

Uranium 235 posted:

If that's the case, I would go ahead and call. You don't have much time. Worst case scenario, they tell you they won't have a decision ready in time, or that you didn't get the job. Then you know to take the other offer. You really have nothing to lose by calling and asking.

The recruiter responded by saying they'll have a decision by Monday 6/23 :ughh:

That's too late!!! I already explained I need to give the other company a response by EOB tomorrow! :(

I replied to her e-mail reiterating that I need to respond by EOB tomorrow and that she needs to give me a firm yes or no.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
I did try calling the recruiter yesterday like five times but the line always goes directly to her voicemail without even ringing. Yes, I did leave a voice message.

I don't think I'd want to burn bridges with this company. This is one of the leaders in their therapeutic area and has a large presence in where I currently live.

Edit: if I don't hear a firm yes or no from the recruiter by 11 am today, I plan on calling the hiring manager to get a straight answer. Or is this a bad idea?

Hand of the King fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 19, 2014

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

Xandu posted:

I think I understand your frustration, but she's likely given you the best answer she can and the decision is out of her hands. Maybe she's waiting on the hiring manager or even another candidate. Calling the hiring manager if you have his info isn't a bad idea to at least see what he has to say, though the recruiter won't like you going around her (is she external or internal?) Id probably move on because you're likely not the top candidate (if you were they'd have given you indication), but maybe it's worth turning down the other offer or asking for more time to think about it.

The recruiter is internal. I don't think I can extend the offer. The recruiter who made the offer on Tuesday said she would like a reply by EOB Wednesday (again, it was a verbal offer and she wants a verbal OK from me) but I asked for EOB Friday, and we settled on EOB Thursday. So I've already asked for an extension. I'd hate to lose out on this other company and not see what they could've offered.

I know it's probably inappropriate to go around the recruiter but the hiring manager did give me his business card and told me to call him for whatever questions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

Hand of the King posted:

The recruiter is internal. I don't think I can extend the offer. The recruiter who made the offer on Tuesday said she would like a reply by EOB Wednesday (again, it was a verbal offer and she wants a verbal OK from me) but I asked for EOB Friday, and we settled on EOB Thursday. So I've already asked for an extension. I'd hate to lose out on this other company and not see what they could've offered.

I know it's probably inappropriate to go around the recruiter but the hiring manager did give me his business card and told me to call him for whatever questions...

Update: Company B's hiring manager said it would take more than another week before he could give me a decision. Although it's a better position, I had to withdraw from the hiring process. I took Company A's offer (the position is not as good as Company's B, but the company itself is a much better company with more growth potential) at $80k/year with $10,000 sign-on bonus! This means I'll be making $17,500 more than my current position - a 28% increase! They were firm about the zero wiggle room on the base salary but said they could go higher on the sign-on bonus. I simply asked, "I'd love to accept the offer but I would like an increase on the bonus" and they came back with $10k, which is what I had in mind. The benefits are comparable to my current employer's so I'm happy with them.

I now feel like I'm finally being compensated fairly for my work and value. :)

• Locked thread