Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Ghostnuke posted:

I had a phone interview recently where the guy straight out asked me how much I was making at my current job. My first instinct was to say "gently caress you, how much do YOU make?", but just as I managed to suppress that urge I just blurted out how much I actually make.

My question is, what would the appropriate response here be? Luckily for me the dude was cool and said, "Well lucky for you, this pays significantly more." He totally could've just reduced the pay scale.

"I've been asked by my employer not to disclose that information."

There's a very real chance that he lowballed you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Make it higher than what you actually want. What I would do (and in all honesty, this has gone both ways in the 2 times I got person badgering me for a number) is tell them the number that would make you accept the job offer on the spot, no questions asked, and go from there.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I just got a LinkedIn message detailing a position and I'm quite interested in checking out the company. They say to send my resume and "salary requirements. " What's the right move here? My instincts say to throw out a moderately pie-in-the-sky figure, but I don't want to scare them off by quoting something too high. I currently make 65k, plus overtime and tuition reimbursement. I was thinking I'd shoot for $75k. Should I mention explicitly that I'm being compensated for school? I'm excited for the opportunity, but I don't want to blow things before I even get in for an interview.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

fishhooked posted:

I've been interviewing with two consulting/engineering companies for the past few weeks. One of them is a position similar to what I'm doing now at a firm that is rated in the top 20 of the "best firms to work for" according to Forbes. The other is with a smaller consulting firm with a position that is slightly bigger step up from what i'm doing now. The second firm has given me a good offer with a roughly 15% increase in what I make now. The problem is I really want to go with the first firm but have not yet had an offer from them. I just finished my second interview with what I feel were very good positive results. On my way out they said they would like to see me aboard and that I would be hearing from HR soon.

The second firm wants an answer by Monday and their is probably no way I'll have firm in hand offer from the first firm by then. I do feel like that offer is coming, however, I don't want to just completely blow off the second firm as its a very good offer in itself. Reputation does get around a bit in the engineering field so I'm hesitant to accept the second firms offer and then jump ship if the first firm comes through. Anyone have any suggestions on how to stall on the second firms offer while I wait to see how the first firm pans out?

When I was job-shopping fresh out of college, I put off a lot of "we need an answers" by saying that my significant other was out of town until the following week and that I needed to discuss it with her.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

antiga posted:

I am meeting with my boss shortly to discuss salary (and set expectations in the likely event that he chooses to share everything I say with the decision maker), not negotiate.

Any salary discussion is a negotiation. Full stop. Your boss is meeting with you to feel the situation out. If you put out the wrong signals, he will take advantage of you.

quote:

My aversion to showing up for this discussion with an offer letter is that it would be an ultimatum and I think this can be resolved without extreme measures. I have reliable "market" data and evidence through my assignments and my previous review that I'm performing well.

Do not be afraid of giving ultimatums. Obviously you don't want to up and say "gimme $$$ or I walk" unless you're in a uniquely integral position, but if your boss ascertains that you're unwilling to walk away from your job, you've lost most of your leverage and they'll offer you a pittance. Be cold. Give hard data, directed toward numbers that favor you. If your boss has a thoughtful bone in his body, he'll put 2 and 2 together and realize that if he doesn't pay you, someone else will.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't mention your lower offer. Don't even give them a flicker of a hint that you might possibly be satisfied, in the past or ever, with a lower number than you're gunning for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

The only way to give yourself a secure BATNA is to seek out offers from other companies. It sucks, but when your options are between staying at $45 and earning $0 when your contract ends, they more or less have you over a barrel. You may have a bit of wiggle room if you're responsible for a lot of ongoing work, but that may only take you so far, depending on the particulars of your circumstances.

• Locked thread