Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
How do you bring up the subject of employee agreements? I would think only very senior people would negotiate those typically, but I was handed one with a truly obnoxious non-compete clause. I think it's bad enough for me to walk over, which would make me sad, but I don't think I can sign it and hope it's not enforceable. I really have no experience negotiating contract terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

12 months, no pay, even if terminated not-for-cause. Also, it's fully assignable, so even if they run out of money, someone will inherit their rights to the agreement.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

swenblack posted:

I hate to say it, but this isn't a negotiation question, it's a highly regionally-dependent labor lawyer question. Usually this sort of thing is negotiable and unenforceable, but there are a lot of situations were the opposite is true. Spend $200 and get a real answer from a lawyer.

Let's assume the lawyer says, "yes, KernelSlanders, it means what you think it means." Now we're back to a negotiation question. Or were you suggesting to have the lawyer negotiate the terms? That is going to be a much more expensive proposition.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I would suggest you give it another go at deflecting. Try something like:

"I think it would be premature to share my salary expectations before we've discussed the position and how my skills fit with the opportunity. I'd be more than happy to discuss compensation once I've met with your client and discussed the role. The position is in a new city with a higher cost of living than my current position so any discussion on salary would need to take that into account."

If he continues to press, then providing a high but justifiable target based on a salary reference for the city and the industry is the right call.

Isn't the flip side of that that you end up wasting a lot of your time? I understand the game theory behind not wanting to make the first offer, but at the talking to recruiter stage, especially if they came to you, what's wrong with saying "I will not respond to offers below [current salary plus 25%]. Is that in line with your client's expectations?" I understand at the very high end (e.g., promotion from chocolate teapot maker to executive vp of chocolate teapots) there might be some disadvantage to that, but I'd imagine the recruiters for a position like that aren't going to bother asking what your salary expectation is.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

In negotiations over job title is it better to be "head of chocolate teapot making" or "director of chocolate teapot making"? I assume all else being equal chief teapot officer is the best, but is there anything else I'm not thinking of?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Xandu posted:

Don't tell them what you make, if they already have an idea of what people at your company make and offer you less than 50k, insist on a higher salary.

Also people with a master's in chemistry only make 50k? I thought STEM was where it's at.

STEM means computer science.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

When I'm going through a recruiter or without one should I bring up salary requirements if they don't?

It depends entirely on the type of recruiter and the types of positions they fill. For an inside recruiter they probably won't bring it up and you shouldn't either. It's probably enough to say, you expect to be paid in line with industry norms for the position. There are two types of outside recruiter: retained and contingency. Retained recruiters act very much like an inside recruiter. They're paid a flat fee whether the position gets filled or not, but if it gets filled sooner they can move on to something else. Thus it's in their interest to find someone who is likely to say yes in the end. Contingency recruiters are more complicated. They get a percentage of the salary, which means for very high level positions they're actually on your side (sort of like how both real estate agents work for the seller). However, the lower end contingency recruiters just try to maximize volume so they generally want cheaper candidates since they're more likely to take the job.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

asur posted:

I think disclosing is advantageous in this case, unless they expect you to take a pay cut, as it shows that the maximum salary is a minimal raise. I would not give total compensation as the public sector job likely has better benefits and then they could use the total compensation numbers as a way to attempt to justify a lower salary. If they push back on vacation, I'd definitely bring up that you had 3 weeks at your previous position.

The State Department, for example, has a program whereby they can pay you substantially above grade if your previous job paid higher.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

If you like an offer generally but are concerned about the future of a company, say a startup late in its current funding cycle or a declining business with potential you'd be trying to turn around, is there something similar to an acceleration clause you can ask for to hedge that risk? I'm thinking something like a carveout a CEO might demand if things looked grim, but as high visibility, but not C-Suite employee.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I don't have any experience in this realm personally. It is a sound line of reasoning, but if you're at this point of trying to get contractual clauses to make your decision financially worth your while hire a loving lawyer. Otherwise you run the very real risk of signing a contract that delivers something far less valuable than you estimate it to be.

Yes, of course, although I'd rather have a lawyer review the contract than have a consult about my goals, then draft language, participate in negotiations, then review the contract. That poo poo adds up. At this point, I don't even know what to ask for.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Also, and I know this is a serious first world problem, but what's up with offer with a three day expiration. Do people take them seriously?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

KernelSlanders posted:

Also, and I know this is a serious first world problem, but what's up with offer with a three day expiration. Do people take them seriously?

Dik Hz posted:

False urgency is a common negotiation tactic. Politely ask for more time if you need more time to decide. If they're dicks about it, they're likely to dicks about a lot more things.

Update for those following along: They, at least, did take it seriously, although I told them I wasn't going to. Yes they were dicks about it, and several other details of the negotiation. I got calls from their HR trying to close in the middle of the night. I ended up killing the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Betazoid posted:

I'm not C-level, so the idea of a signing bonus is hilarious.

Am I the only one who found this perplexing? I report to someone, who reports to someone, who reports to someone C-level and was offered a signing bonus when I started. I think it's an easy way for them to offer something up in a negotiation that doesn't cause them any HR issues if you're near the top of band for your title and doesn't impact the monthly operating costs going forward.

• Locked thread