Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I have a question regarding a position I was just offered and the offer I was given. I'm in San Diego and have a year and a half's experience post college working in the pharmaceutical industry as a contract worker in a temp position. Back at the end of September my contract was not renewed due to some major personal issues affecting my work performance since the start of August. A note for my pride, things were improving by the beginning of September, but not enough. I've been looking for work since then, and today got an offer for an extremely similar position that is also contract. Main downside being that they offered it to me at ~80% of my last position. However with the additional overtime this job would entail (12 hr shifts, I'd still be working ~40 hrs/wk), the take home pay is pretty similar, less by about $40/wk. Given that I had to explain the bare bones of what happened in my last position during the hiring interview (one of my references was my last boss, yes I know), do I have much position to negotiate? If so how would I go about it? I'm familiar with all the techniques and equipment this position entails. Also, the contract is for six months, at which point they could choose to renew it. In addition some of these positions they're hiring for will be converted to FTE, which would also give me another possibility for renegotiation. What should I do goons?

Edit: they know what I was making before, due to the employment application and me not having read this thread before that

Spikes32 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So turns out I had no bargaining power because they are only hiring at one salary. Oh well, that just means at the six month mark I'm either going to get a raise or really look for another job (not that I won't start again at the 4 month mark anyway). Interestingly the HR lady informed me that for contract positions like this they don't draw up the job offer letter until there has been verbal acceptance. Is this normal?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks Kalenn, I essentially did what you suggested in accepting the offer. And as to how I represented what happened, that was exactly the tact I took, and it seemed to play out well in the interviews. And my employer is actually a really great lady, and I'm sure spoke well of me overall, but I'm not sure she would have lied about why I no longer worked there which is why I owned up to it in the interviews ahead of them calling her, if that makes sense. So I know she's a good reference in general, I just couldn't blatantly lie about why I no longer work there.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
As I was a contract worker, it was very plausible that "my contract ended". Which I'm sure is what they thought before I got called in to interview. Which, technically it did end. Just abrutptly. But I didn't go down that route, and I'm thankful I did what I did.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I found out yesterday that I'm going to be converted from a temp contract worker to FTE in the next month to two months. I found out due to needing to RSVP for a company retreat in June, which the other temps were not invited to. Obviously I have less negotiating power in this situation as I'm already working for them. However they low balled me majorly on the temp rate (80% of my previous pay, I was 5 months unemployed and wanted work in my field again). The other part of this is I would much rather work for a related, but distinctly different department, and I wouldn't want to work in this department for more than another year. So even if I take the FTE, I still may start looking for other work especially if they low ball me again. Anyone have any tips for me as I approach this process?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks all for the advice. As to who is trying to hire me, it's my department manager. Which is why the whole transfer departments within a year thing would look bad during that process I feel.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So I just got my offer letter to move from a temp position to full time with benefits within my company. I've worked there as a temp for six months now, they hired me on for 80% of my previous hourly rate (which was also a temp/contract job). I attempted to negotiate during the contract hiring but HR (who does all the negotiating, which is really frustrating) didn't budge. My offer matches my previous hourly rate and comes with all benefits (health plan, eye & dental, matching 401k, vacation, stock options). It also included a promotion from Research Associate I (temp) to Research associate II. What kind of leverage do I actually have here (without another offer), and do you have any negotiating suggestions for an HR department that doesn't know me/my contributions to my department? My department is large (20 people) and in terms of experience I am in the top 5, but I know I could be replaced without all that much difficulty. I would be estatic with a $5/hr increase, happy with a $3, and content with $1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I guess I just got stuck on getting the same rate at 2 years experience w/benefits as too similar to 0 years experience but no benefits. I'll think it over more tomorrow and crunch some numbers.

• Locked thread