Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I have a phone interview for a position on Wednesday, and my friend who works there briefed me. It's a small company, and he said they're going to ask me straight up what my salary requirements are, as they did to him. It's not with HR, it's with the head of the department who would be my boss. Apparently they just want to know what you expect to make. This is also pretty close to a 'dream job' for me. I would consider even taking a pay cut for this job, it's closer to home, they have catered lunch and dinner, subsidize public transportation, etc etc. They even do a 401k and in my industry that's actually kind of rare. Also stock options! My current job has no 401k, no stock, and is an hour commute.

How do I approach this? The would be great career wise, even at a pay cut, but I obviously don't want to take one if I don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah i'd quit your current job as well as never reply to any contact from the person you're talking to now.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I've got a fun one. It's got an offer question at the bottom.

So a couple months back I quit my job due to a couple of factors. My partner got a new job in a different city, and I was about ready to quit the gig I had. My industry is a pretty small, tight-knit one where I know and have worked with most of my "competitors" pretty closely. We decide to move to the new city. I put in my notice and help find a replacement.

Before I quit I told a few close friends in the industry that I was on my way out, one of them at an industry convention. The next morning, he texted me to come meet a friend of his and lo-and-behold it was the hiring manager of another company that was looking for what I do, in the new city my wife was moving to! How convenient. He's got 2 jobs that I can do, one a step-up and one a smallish-step down from what I was doing. The step-up one, I have some serious competition for, including someone who is applying to replace me at my previous job as well as the one at the new company. After a couple months of casual interviews and some more formal ones, he tells me that he's probably going to go with that other someone (that was also applying for my replacement job), and that I'd be a great fit for the step-down job, he's going to set me up with some final interviews with a few more people. A couple weeks go by and I find out that my old job, in fact, hired the guy (I assume made him a better offer, I was gone by this point). It'd been radio silent for the past couple weeks (it's the holidays, things are slow moving anyways, I didn't think it was a big deal).

He emailed me tonight asking if I'd be interested in the step-up job! He knows that I was aware of the other candidate being offered the job. Also that other candidate is, I'm not afraid to say this, substantially more experienced than I am and is a "better' candidate.

How the heck do I navigate this situation? I'm not hurting to take a job right away, and this job is a pretty good one that I would be interested in, but not a once-in-a-lifetime kind of position. I am very clearly not their first choice.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Thanks for the advice, I had a call with him and it was VERY clear that I was not their top choice. He mentioned it several times, including wistfully, but then he gave a run down of what the timeline is for getting hired, and when I'd start and where to go from there. So, yeah, he is very clearly interested in me now.

I'll come back when I actually get an offer letter.

• Locked thread