Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

swenblack posted:

It sucks negotiating from being unemployed. It's incredibly difficult to mask that weak of a position. Despite this, you got three offers, so you're probably pretty awesome. Don't beat yourself up over this.

If you like to be risky you could always claim somebody else is offering x salary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

swenblack posted:

It's fairly easy to get away with lying, but most professions are small enough and connected enough that this sort of thing catches up with you eventually if you make a habit of it.

I agree but salary negotiation is a little different. Employers will often try and screw you on salary, it helps to have strategies.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

Spadoink posted:

Question: I've been working at a small firm for the last two years. In the summer I passed exams and am now differently qualified professionally and received an accompanying promotion, that came with a 'salary bump' (~$4k) that was disappointingly small but that was meant to be addressed during normal end-of-year raises. I've been chronically underpaid in this industry, and have recently become aware of an $18k gap between my own pay and a friend who received her qualifications at the same time as myself. Our only difference is she works for a much larger firm - we have the same level of experience, and I probably have more responsibility. The pay issue is starting to chafe, but I want to know how others have handled or have received a request from an employee for what will be a substantive jump in pay. I don't plan on asking for $18k, but would like to see my pay raised by about $10-12k.

I hate negotiating pay stuff, which is why I'm asking. My history with my employer saw me ask for and receive an additional week of vacation during raise-time last year (where I received a measly $1500 as a raise, but also received $5500 in non-guaranteed bonuses this year). Secondly, I am well appreciated in my job, but haven't done anything amazing or stand-outish since receiving my promotion, and have had the unfortunate timing to be very sick in November, followed by losing my grandmother last week, which has meant that my boss' recent memory of my work performance will most likely be of me being out of the office followed by hurredly plowing through work backlogs. Any advice would be appreciated.

Not sure how to navigate this generally but realize that firm size often determines pay since there is often a drastic difference in their billable hour rate. I have colleagues who also have this issue where they have more responsibility than those at a larger firm but receive less pay.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

Skier posted:

There was nothing fishy about it, it was another low-key discussion where the offer was handed to me and we talked for a bit. No pressure into making a decision then and there.

Is this common? I have only ever gotten salary offers by email

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

You guys are being a little silly, some people are just old fashioned and want to do things face to face or over the phone. Simply opening and navigating gmail/outlook is a real struggle for a large swath of the population. Just make sure you're prepared ahead of time with as much info as possible and fake confidence even if you're broke and about to get evicted and you can go about these things in person like respectful adults, it's fine. Email and time is preferable sure but don't turn that into a war or anything.

Most employers will try to screw you over in any way possible, people speak from experience not out of paranoia.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

MickeyFinn posted:

Or they are like my boss who wants to do everything face-to-face because it is faster and he can change his mind without a paper trail.

Your boss sounds like a great guy

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

The low valuation yielded is assuming that you will in fact take 10 weeks of unpaid time off if you have a kid at a job without paid paternity leave. If you made $60k and got 10 weeks off then that benefit is worth about $11.5k per kid. After N months in a higher paying job, it has paid off over staying at the paternity leave job.

Staying at the paternity job gives you $23k over your career and then $5000 * N months income.

If you take a job making $100k / year to and were gonna have two kids, you incur a cost of 19.2k in lost wages per kid. For two kids that's 38.4k. You make $8333 / month From here it's a matter of finding the N where the positive value of the paternity leave is surpassed by the additional income:

Then we just solve for N

23000 + 5000N = -38400 + 8333N
61400 + 5000N = 8333N
61400 = 3333N
N = 18.4

That's the breakeven point, if you stay in the higher paying job you're ahead, over your career, after 18.4 months. Every additional month thereafter you're ahead an additional $3333k / month.

edit: derp maths

It may just be better to flip a coin

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

OOPRCT posted:

X is $32.00/hr and the job is outside NYC, also.

Ya, you may have hosed up

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

OOPRCT posted:

As I feared, but have I rat hosed myself into a poo poo position or can I still recoup more money from the initial offer?

As the guy above me asked, its tough to know if you are supposed to haggle. From my experience in the US, internship offers seem to be more standardized.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

asur posted:

You are almost certainly going to lose this. If she responded with what you wrote, then it's not entirely clear as she wrote eligible pay and then didn't define it. I would read it the way you did as well since she answering with a yes, but you could easily argue the other way. In most cases, I don't think you have any option for recourse or at least any that would be worth pursing. If you can't resolve it internally then you'd either have to go to arbitration or through the courts and at that point unless the sum is gigantic you might as well just walk away. Most people don't work under a contract and so salary and benefits can be changed at pretty much any time by the employer.

Takeaway: Private sector will screw you over, never trust a company unless they earn it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

Blinky2099 posted:

First offer letter was 50% RSUs, 50% stock options. I was told repeatedly that I could switch to any combination of those after signing, so I signed and in the same email requested 100% RSUs. they updated the offer letter and sent it over but assured me I didn't need to sign it.

Fast forward several months later and I'm finally awarded my RSU grant, but it's half what I expected and includes options. The stock price has tanked over 25% since I signed. Thus, the options will likely be worthless for the remainder of my work here.

I was originally told they couldn't fix it, but since I had it several places in email, it's being fixed and saving me over $10k per year I stay at the company.

Get everything in writing.

Smart move, you should always ask yourself how could your employer gently caress you over a few months/years from now

• Locked thread