Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Saint Fu posted:

They might have some insider information that could help you in the interview process.
Relevant to this thread in particular, they're usually privy to the budgeted salary for the position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Skier posted:

Anyone have thoughts on what it means when a company wants to make you an offer and will only do it in person? They're local, I've met with almost the entire company during the interview process, but this feels a bit off. Not sure why they are doing things this way. It'd be nice to know what to look out for on this.
Sometimes companies will ask for this at the point of signing a letter to not have to screw around with multiple days of delays sending written offer letters back and forth via registered mail. I've never heard of someone doing this before disclosing the basic details of the offer.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

momtartin posted:

I'm in the process of hunting for a new job possibly, and I reached out to a former manager who's now hiring in his new company. I sent him my resume, and he was impressed, and said he'd look to see what options he could create for me. He then asked me for my salary ask. I have no desire to pigeon hole myself into a number that might be lower than what they may pay (even though I do have a target number), so what's the best way of responding?

"Regarding Salary, I'd prefer to see if there is a position that benefits both of us before getting into those specifics?" Or do I give him a range? This is the first time I've really been in this type of situation.
If you leave it wide open, one standard tactic people like (when they aren't scared of you balking at the offer and walking) is to lowball you by several tens of thousands of dollars to see if they can get you to say "I was really hoping for $X." Don't give a range unless you're playing a game to test how much the company values talent by biting at either the low, middle, or high end of your range. You knowing your former manager is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, if you give a number that's way too high, he's probably not going to be offended and want to stop working with you. On the other hand, he probably knows very well what you were previously making.

I'd say not to overthink it and just to give a reasonable number that's somewhat on the high side. See what he does with it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Unless the company doesn't generally offer any equity whatsoever to their employees, or your name carries a reputation, 0.5%-1% is way more than you should ever expect to get for being employee 200+.

• Locked thread