Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

This was an e-mail chain that went back and forth between myself and a local recruiter. I had been offered a position at $30/hr, but it had zero benefits (no PTO, 401k, anything). I think it's a good example of telling someone to go gently caress themselves in the most polite of terms. For reference, I had countered asking for 5 days of PTO time.

Recruiter posted:

Deviant– We got word back from our VP and the PTO was not approved. Sorry but we tried. As we talked about yesterday, I’m hoping that you keep the big picture in mind with the great pay of $30/hour, the company being $CLIENT, the doors that it can open up for you, and everything else we talked about.

If you crunch all the numbers and compare apples to apples with everything else it may not exactly compare to your current job I get it. But the fact you are on the market and interviewing leads me to believe you are not that happy out there anyway. I honestly can’t think of another company in Orlando that has a Tier 2 Helpdesk that offers $30/hour so keep that in mind.

Let us know what you want to do, we need to tell $CLIENT by lunch time if you are in or out because they need to fill it and have 15 vendors on their list that will send more candidates over. Call me if you have any questions.

Thanks,

$RECRUITER

Deviant posted:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline. I thank you for all your time, help, and consideration, and I apologize for the inconvenience I've caused to both $COMPANY and $CLIENT.

Recruiter posted:

Well that’s disappointing for all parties. For future reference, you should definitely make sure you understand all aspects of positions moving forward so you don’t waste your time and the companies time. I’ll make sure Eric and I get together to discuss what he did or did not talk with you about so moving forward we can make sure everything is on the table with other candidates so we don’t run in to the same issue.

The only thing I can try and say to salvage this is that I could possibly get you incremental pay increases throughout the duration of the contract. This is different on our gross margins than just giving you free money as nobody else at $CLIENT is getting PTO. Let me know if that interests you as we really don’t want to have to tell $CLIENT you declined the offer based on this as that won’t look good for you or us.

Incremental pay increase would be something like a dollar raise at 3 months, 9 months, 12 months type thing. Let me know what you think.

Regards,

$RECRUITER

Here is where I lose my poo poo. I wrote and rewrote this e-mail for about 4 hours.

Deviant posted:

Thank you for your candor in our ongoing discussion regarding the position. Unfortunately, it appears as though we won't be able to negotiate a set of agreeable terms. While I regret not learning of the policies regarding overtime, and holiday earlier in the process, I could hardly negotiate effectively prior to a formal offer being made. Furthermore, I don't see negotiation for a position as 'wasting time', nor do I appreciate the vague threat implied by 'we really don’t want to have to tell $CLIENT you declined the offer based on this as that won’t look good for you or us.'. As such, I must respectfully decline the position as well as employment with $RECRUITER a whole.

Thank you for your time.

In conclusion: Always negotiate, you owe recruiters less than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Hand of the King posted:

:stonk: There's no way that recruiter is for real.

They exist. Apex Systems.

I also copied that last email to his boss, and about an hour later I got a much more polite apology.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 10, 2014

• Locked thread