Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

LloydDobler posted:

Yep, in my case it was "so what does the position pay?" and the guy replied with "What are you looking to earn?" I replied with "$xxxxx" and he said "Yeah it pays about that." Also he was a loving liar and he got me at $10k a year less than the guy I was replacing.

One of the most important things to do in a negotiation is never be the first to throw out a number. The guy in my story clearly knew that and he won the negotiation.

You can also answer with vague statements like "I'm on the lower end of the pay range for a position of this type" if you want to be honest but non-specific.
Uh, he isn't a liar if he paid you about what you stated you were looking for. That indeed was/is what the position paid...

Go high. Always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread