Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Dik Hz posted:

with the number of success stories in this thread, I suspect we're well over the $1,000,000 level in gained total earnings for goons. Myself included. Thanks in part to the advice in here, I got a good raise recently.

So, thanks guys. It'd be cool if someone with more free time went through and added up the success stories.

Thanks in part to this thread (call it 40% this thread & other research, 40% opportunity, and 20% strategy & personability) I went from grossing 98k in 2013 to 146k in 2014 with a nice 5% bonus to start off 2015. Not bad for a recession graduate.

Thanks, everybody.

swenblack posted:

This is your life. Take charge of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
I'm going to buy my first house, and after several months of searching finally found a great home.

They're asking $480k. House has been sitting for 300 days---probably due to the high price. Also, the area is remote (I'm increasing my commute to 50 minutes so that I can have an acre of land).

My research on comps and the real estate agent's research both line up---my target price is $450k with a walk away price of $454k. This considers relevant similar properties, condition of the house, upgrades they've made, etc.

I have the cash to put down up to 20% plus closing costs (~$20-$22k). I'm under no time pressure and can easily walk away.

How do real estate negotiations typically proceed?

I am preapproved for $900k, and my lender won't give me a letter with no preapproval value listed, so I am confident I should go in with the letter listing my target price ($450k) since this can be modified at any time.

But do you roll in with a best and final offer right off the bat and let it sit? Do you make a lowball offer expecting to meet in the middle?

I was definitely going to communicate a rationale for whatever offer I make---comps, house quality, upgrades, etc; however, I don't want to be dismissed as not serious off the bat if I come in at $420 on a $480 advertised price even if to me it'd be pretty clear (if I was the seller) what my target price is based on that offer. Also, what's a reasonable offer relative to advertised prices? HGTV shows suggest that if a house has been sitting for 14 days, let alone 300, you can drop that price by $20k. The internet suggests 5% to 10% below advertised is acceptable which aligns with what I'm suggesting. Finally, in this area, it consistently appears that closing prices are 95% to 96% of advertised prices.

I feel confident with salary negotiations and car negotiations, but this is a new game for me.

edit: I felt this thread was more appropriate for my question than the real estate thread. Thanks for any advice!

Sunny Side Up fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 1, 2016

• Locked thread