Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

If you found a salary range offered, put the highest number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

So here's a weird one:

My mom has been the head administrator of a small suburban church for 28 years. She was hired at $14,000 a year and has received raises tied to inflation bringing her up to a touch over $30,000 today. She never asked for anything extra out of loyalty to the church, but at 57 is starting to realize that there are things she wants to do in retirement that she'll never be able to afford. In order to (negligibly) help, she is doing the books for a property management company for $400/month, and appropriately updated her LinkedIn. Within a month, she received a letter of interest from a headhunter, asking her to come for an interview in an office near the top floor of the nicest highrise in our city. The job would be to manage the property-based assets (ranch-land, apartments) of a rich local family and take stock of the value of possessions like art and jewelry. Apparently she fit exactly what they were looking for: a sharp, established little old lady who wouldn't steal a paperclip.

But my mom is terrified. She doesn't know where to start; while she's hired dozens of people in the past, this will be her first time on the other side of the desk since 1987. And I'm not even sure she wants to leave the church. It's been hemorrhaging members for a decade and is weaker financially than ever before, and she keeps saying it's not the right time to leave. But this job has the potential to triple her salary, and I'd really like to encourage her to be bold with this. At least to get to the interview. What should she do to prepare?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

No, a range is stupid. Just put one word or one number. Why should they care about the high end of your range when you've already told them you'll work for less?

VV That can also blow up in your face. It's probably worth doing the back-and-forth with competing offers once, but more than one round and you start looking like a jerk.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 3, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

If you can, could you be more specific on the situation? Why was the job becoming more stressful, and was it only money that solved the issue?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Baby Babbeh posted:

Sometimes giving a range works out for you. Last time I switched jobs, when asked I told them my real range+10 percent, and then they gave me the top of that range for some reason. I'm not sure if I'm good at negotiating or this company is just bad at it.

Your range wasn't high enough on the high end.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah, you done good. Get that base, gently caress bonuses.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah, my dad is a starving real-estate agent and he's out to sell houses, whether they cost $189,000 or $229,000. It definitely affects the advice he gives to clients.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ask for more vacation time.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Saint Fu posted:

Everything you said is right. Their BATNA is better than my BATNA, I have very little negotiating leverage at this point. Thanks for the reality check all. You're spot on in my failure to better communicate. Hopefully someone else can learn from my humbling lesson.

a good post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

KernelSlanders posted:

Am I the only one who found this perplexing? I report to someone, who reports to someone, who reports to someone C-level and was offered a signing bonus when I started. I think it's an easy way for them to offer something up in a negotiation that doesn't cause them any HR issues if you're near the top of band for your title and doesn't impact the monthly operating costs going forward.

This is heavily dependent on field and office culture.

• Locked thread