Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Quick question: my girlfriend has an interview tomorrow, and she's located in Hong Kong. She's not exactly the fiercest negotiator, and she's been sent this little e-mail with two documents. The first one she needs to fill out her name, address, work permit etc., and, oddly, "expected salary."

The second is a form where she allows future employer to contact current employer for employment, performance and salary information.

This is a fairly big, international, well-respected engineering company.

I advised her in no uncertain terms to under no circumstance sign off on the second paper, because

1) Disclosing current salary significantly reduces her negotiating power.

and

2) Once new firm contacts current firm with these questions, of course current firm will know she's looking to get a new job, and will give her raises, tasks and promotions accordingly. (This could be a good thing, but I'm not holding my breath.)

Is Asia vastly different about this? I find the method incredibly bizarre...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is the travel based on you providing the car and them paying you a set rate per mile? In that case I would use that as leverage ("I share a car with my wife, so this would mean an added expense for me.") to get above 65k. Otherwise, it's usually the company's headache to get you to places that aren't your office, they'll have to provide you a rental car if they want you to drive places, but a mileage deal + a little more pay might be a better deal for them.

With regards to other ways of getting a bit above 65k - do you have any other areas where you excel? "I agree that my overall experience is on the lower end of the scale, but I happen to speak and write perfect Ugandan." or something. Also, you can use the "70k" in your favor in a year or two come salary adjustment. They said the position pays up to 70k, and you are now experienced, ergo you should get 70k.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just had a pretty weird process with a recruiter. I felt I fit the position really well, and they pressed me for a salary, without me having interviewed with the actual company, nor them having fully detailed the particulars of the package. I stated "north of $X" with $X being what I make now and being the average salary for the top 25% of candidates with my profile and skills. Pressed for answers it then turns out the company has zero pension scheme or anything (which is not a dealbreaker but a pain in the rear end and expensive to do yourself on the side, which should be reflected in the salary.)

I then get an email back saying that the company offers "newest exciting technologies and possibilities" and are currently not able to match market rate, so they've decided to move forward with a different candidate.

Said company has been in an industry magazine recently and complained that they couldn't get people WITH MY EXACT SKILLS locally and that it was limiting their growth.

I'm quite confused. Either communication has gone very awry or else there's a very good reason why the company can't find skilled people.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The weird thing is that by going through a recruiter they're spending a boatload on fees. They're also expanding the technical staff by 40% (if they fill all open positions) and they were supposedly in a big hurry to hire. But hey, if they have only limited funds then fine.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Guinness posted:

Yep, this. If you're not comparing and negotiating on total comp then you're doing it wrong. Base salary is only one (albeit large) piece of the puzzle, and though frequently the easiest to negotiate on is not the only thing to negotiate on.

Thirding this. Evaluate the whole package. I recently got a new job with a handsome pay raise, but traded a 15 minute one-way stress-free commute for a 30 minute crap one. It turns out that this gets to me more than I expected, and I'd happily suffer a decrease in pay if it meant I got an easier commute.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm interviewing with what can only be described as a startup next week. They seem to be growing and have funding, and the founders have a good track record, but they still haven't sold a single unit (ran a very successful Indiegogo campaign though.)

Any tips for what to expect? Are startups generally more stingy with salary? Good questions I should ask?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'd like some input on the following situation: I have been contacted by a recruiter offering an attractive position. I sent him my CV, we had a brief phone interview, he presented my profile to the company in question, and they find me interesting.

What they'd like to do now is a) a phone interview and b) send me a "test" (I'm assuming a (set of) programming problem(s)) which should take 6-8 hours to complete. There's no firm limit to how much time I can spend, as far as I understand it. I can have it all weekend if I like.

The recruiter is one of those people who somehow manages to be able to have an entire conversation without giving concrete, solid answers, so to be honest I'm not entirely sure about the order of things. To me it seems weird to claim a day of my time without having even seen me in person, and to be honest I'm a little miffed on principle. I'm a single guy, so I have all the time in the world, but what if I had three screaming kids and a lawn to mow?

What's the SOP for tests/evaluations like this?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Company I'm currently in negotiations with wants me for a technical interview for six hours, on a workday, basically forcing me to either call in sick or burn a leave day to attend.

On one hand I'm excited they find me interesting, but a big part of me wants to tell them to go pound sand. Each and every one of my previous jobs have been landed with no more than two 60-90 minute interviews.

Thoughts?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Richard Noggin posted:

Seems excessive, but you didn't tell us what the position is. Do YOU think it's excessive for the role?

Software Engineer, Senior I guess (I graduated 10 years ago.) No management responsibilities.

I think it's somewhat excessive. I've already had one interview and one personality/IQ-test interview deal. What my panties are mostly bunching up over is the fact that they just announced this in a one-liner e-mail. No "We-know-this-will-be-a-bit-of-a-pain-in-the-rear end-but-hear-us-out."

asur posted:

A day long interview is pretty common in my experience even for junior positions.

OK. I'm not in the US though.

I have another interview by phone tomorrow (different company) So I'll postpone any response until I've had that.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It's on the longer side of normal but it's not out of the ordinary either. I had one company have me spend over 20 hours over a weekend doing a case study, which is another thing that's becoming much more common.

So it turns out that what the recruiters REALLY wanted was a one hour meeting and the 10am to 4pm was just the time frame. Jesus tittyfucking christ, I thought techies hired people persons because they were good at communication.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Well, yeah, techies hire communication majors so the comm. majors can do the communication for the techies. (Q.E.D., I guess.)

Anyhoo, no matter the outcome I've learned a lot about this process. Next time I'll be MUCH more proactive, and demand a full schedule for what happens when instead of letting the recruiters run the show.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

null gallagher posted:

They said I wasn't actually worth that much.

Matter of opinion, but fair enough. Rules of the game.

null gallagher posted:

I was being unreasonable and overly concerned about money.

Gotta love that part. Like anyone else than yourself is concerned about your financial well being. I've gotten that spiel from two different bosses ("money isn't everything, bolind"). OK, so give me some of yours then?

Think you're correct in dodging a bullet there.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

ThreeHams posted:

I'm unemployed right now, so I'm trying to get at least two offers to be in a better negotiating position. What's the best way to try to time that intentionally, if I don't know how quickly / slowly the companies move?

Your current unemployment leaves you in a less than ideal position to negotiate. What if you overplay your hand on both and end up with no offer? Get the best job you can right now, and use that to leverage your next position.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Slightly out-of-scope for this thread, but I don't know where else to ask: what's good advice when your boss pulls you aside and asks you about a former co-worker of yours, who has now applied at your current company? Especially if your opinion of said co-worker is less than stellar...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'd like some input on the following situation:

A friend of mine is looking for work. She has recently moved to a new country, and has an interview lined up. So, currently unemployed. She has a decent CV and held a good job, if slightly underpaid for the stress level, before she moved.

Her previous job was in a very low-income-tax environment whereas the new country taxes income high, and progressively.

Would it be reasonable to bring up the take-home pay of the previous job to compare with? On one hand, it shows what other thought she was worth. On the other hand, the new employer can rightly not really give a rat's rear end about the pay and tax levels of a different job in a different country.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm toying with the idea of a job change. New place reportedly pays well, but has no paid paternity leave. Current place pays less well but has 10 weeks of paid paternity leave. I could see myself needing paternity leave in the near future, probably just once. Maybe not the full 10 weeks, but something like 6-8 would be nice.

I'm perfectly fine with paying for the paternity leave myself, should the need arrive, but how many years should I amortize it over, for lack of a better term? I'm thinking a 24 month period. Scenario 1 is $CURRENT each month for 24 months, scenario 2 is $FUTURE 22 months out of the next 24, thus $FUTURE * 22 should be at least as big as $CURRENT * 24.

Thoughts?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Will run the numbers later, but thanks a million guys, it makes sense.

I think I'll use it as a bargaining chip, but in the long run (and, hell even in the short-to-medium run) almost any pay increase is worth taking, as it sets the bar for the rest of your career, I'd say.

Guinness posted:

There is also real non-monetary value in spending 10 non-working weeks with your newborn child and wife.

I fully agree, and I imagine I'll make that happen anyway. We're in a financial position where that would have little discernible impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Looking really good. Seconding Kalenn Istarion's notion that it's important to look at the whole package. Another angle to what KI just wrote is that if the candidate is being squeezed on one thing (salary, for instance) he can use this to leverage other areas. "OK, I'll take 100K instead of 105K, but then I'll need two more days of vacation a top-of-the-line MacBook." Or the other way around: "Seeing as you can offer me only two weeks of PTO, which is below industry average, I'll have to stand firm on the salary." Edit: I'm a dumbass and should read Dwight's excellent post. Dunno how I missed that.

If I get time I can write a post expanding on the part of "don't ever tell them your current salary" and "what's your salary requirements?" issues.

Edit: Having given notice about one's resignation have its benefits, so here we go. Tear into it goons.

=================================

I’d like to expand on the “Don’t tell them your current salary” and “Don’t give a number too early in the process.”

“Don’t tell them your current salary”

First, a lot of employers, and an even larger ratio of recruiters, can be very insistent on knowing your current salary. This is very important knowledge to them, as it gives them several benefits.
  • If the new position pays significantly less, they know they should cut their losses and not progress with the candidate.
  • It tells them what the candidate would be happy with (current salary plus a modest increase.)
  • It let's them, given more than one roughly equally attractive candidate, the option of getting the cheapest one.
Companies, and recruiters, will come up with all sorts of sorry rear end excuses for knowing your current salary. All of them are bullshit. Here’s a list of responses, ordered by snarkiness:
  • "I’d rather not say."
  • "I don’t see how it pertains to our current discussion, I’d much rather talk about my potential role in this company, and how we could benefit each other if I came on board."
  • "I’m contractually obligated not to disclose that information."
  • "I don’t know, why don’t you tell me what the budget is for this position/what you pay people like me currently?"
  • "I don’t know, what’s your salary?"
  • "Gentlemen, thank you for your time and the coffee. I wish you the best of luck filling the position. Don't worry, I know the way out. Good day."
Interviewers pressing this issue are most likely people you wouldn’t like to work for, and it’s a huge red flag. Consider this: by pressuring the candidate on this issue, they’re doing three things:
  1. They’re bullying the candidate to show his hand in the negotiation.
  2. They’re going to hire a candidate who’s dumb enough to do that. (Think about that for a second. How will a candidate dumb enough to do that behave when, after being hired, having to negotiate on behalf of the department or company? How dumb will he be when he writes code/designs bridges/sells stuff?)
  3. They (often) have no way to verify the candidate’s information, so he could be lying through his teeth, making this information useless anyways.
    There’s a few instances where you could let your current salary slip, in order to anchor the negotiation in your favor. Examples could be if you’re vastly overpaid and you know it, if you’re OK with making a horizontal move salary-wise because you’ll benefit in other ways (better commute, more interesting tasks, better bennies etc.) But those cases are few and far between.
TL;DR: Never disclose your current salary, and walk away if they press the issue.

“Don’t give a number too early in the process.”
A common thing for an interviewer is to ask for a salary requirement early in the process. This makes little sense from the candidate's point of view. For the candidate to give a number, he would need to know the details about the entire package. For instance, in my locale, pension comes on top of the salary, and can be anywhere from 0-20%. I’ve had a lot of interviewers request my salary demands before giving me this information, which is just... strange. Either make sure to get all the details first, or, if pressed, give a high enough number to satisfy you in the worst case. A wiggle-out from this is the "Oh you're talking gross salary, I though we were talking net. Well in that case, my demand is $X.)

I often put down three numbers on my notepad before the interview. My bottom dollar (“less than this and I’ll walk”), my happy medium (“this’ll be a solid number”) and my sunshine scenario (“this is where I’ll sign up right here right now.”) and the less I know, the more conservative I make the numbers.

bolind fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 8, 2016

• Locked thread