Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

How obnoxious? I signed an 18 month one where they at least had to pay your salary for that time (they had no money to pay to enforce it in the end though). I'd really like to hear about negotiating them as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

So I'm looking for advice about a poorly negotiated offer: I have a capped bonus. It's not the end of the world, but I've come to realize it's pretty mediocre for the industry I'm in and plenty of my peers do not have caps at all. I have some leverage: I'm good at what I do, which is relatively obscure, and we've had a ton of trouble finding even a junior capable of taking some of the easier work off of my hands. So I think they'd want me to stick around, and they're already planning to promote me. I have good relationships with all of the higher ups as well, so that's a plus.

Anyone have experience in negotiating this kind of thing?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

So I think I'm being given a lovely deal by my employer but I wanted to check here if I'm missing anything. Basically, they've given me the "opportunity" to buy equity in the company, but it only vests once I've accumulated $150k, and I likely get the equity at the fair market value when it vests. That's at least all they've told me so far.

This seems really lovely - this provides numerous benefits to my employer: deferring compensation which will be paid by dilution, tying me to the company, etc., while all I get is the ability to reduce my paycheck to some day hopefully accrue $150k of stock at a price supposedly raised by my contributions to my employer's bottom line. To accumulate that money without me essentially putting all of my financial eggs in one basket, the success of which would be highly correlated with my employment, would take quite some time. There might be some benefit if it's structured in a way that I'd just be paying LTCG instead of income tax but that's all I can think of, and that hardly outweighs the cons.

So as it stands I'm almost surely going to turn this down, but the lovely part is that I would gladly hold some equity in the company; it's an up and coming company in a lucrative industry.

Have any of you dealt with this? I would like to try to tilt this more in my favor but I'm not sure what adjustments to ask for.

If it vested once I accumulated $50k, and at a discount from fair market value at the time I originally contributed the money, I think I'd be happy, and I don't think it's an absurd request.

They were explicit that the reason they were offering this was that they wanted me to stay for the long term. How do I politely point out that I am not going to pay them to make sure leaving is difficult?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

It will be common stock, yeah. Essentially I could say contribute some percentage of my salary/bonus and once that reaches $150k it would convert to common stock as far as I understand it.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Perhaps they are RSUs. I might have misunderstood, I was just thinking RSUs had to vest over time, and not based on some other criteria. Whatever it is, there is no discount.

As it stands I won't be accepting it. What's a more usual way a company would handle this?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Ah so yeah they're definitely not offering RSUs. Ugh, this is very frustrating. Except for this bullshit the company is pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The difference is:
- you now have a year of experience - this doesn't seem like much but it's a huge risk reduction that you've proved you can function in an office.
- you will be finishing your phd - again, a big difference between someone who is working on vs done their degree.
- you've demonstrated you can lead teams

All of these things tell me you should be positioned for a solid improvement in your salary.

How much do you think the ability to lead teams adds to this? I've essentially built a team from the ground up - that is I was entirely responsible for one crucial aspect of my company to now leading a 5 and growing team, and only seen ~$10k in that time period.

• Locked thread