Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have a phone offer as of this afternoon for a new job. I am expecting it in writing tomorrow morning. I will 99% take the offer as it stands. However, I want to ask for more. What would be a good way to word the opening to my email reply such that I don't come across as weak on the increases that I am asking for but also don't make myself look like a backtracker if I take their offer as it stands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

If you're civil and polite, and wind up taking the initial offer after negotiating, nobody rational is going to view you negatively. Just say something like thanks for the offer, it appears that I'm a good fit for the position. But, moving expenses, industry average, local cost of living, etc... Then make your ask and say you look forward to hearing back from them. Nothing fancy. If they completely stonewall you, your BATNA is the original offer, which you're happy with. Win/Win.

Have an agreed upon offer that's 7.5% higher than their initial with a bonus on top of that at year end if I hit certain performance benchmarks. Woot!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

:woop: Grats. Easiest money you ever made, right?

Yep! Funny thing is I work in sales but with it being my own salary and job prospect at stake I was afraid of screwing up the negotiating process. Thanks for the affirmation to just ask nicely and it'll be fine earlier.

• Locked thread