Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I had a phone interview recently where the guy straight out asked me how much I was making at my current job. My first instinct was to say "gently caress you, how much do YOU make?", but just as I managed to suppress that urge I just blurted out how much I actually make.

My question is, what would the appropriate response here be? Luckily for me the dude was cool and said, "Well lucky for you, this pays significantly more." He totally could've just reduced the pay scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

You guys are definitely right. He did give me the pay scale though, and it's like 20k more than I make at the low end. He said my experience would put me in at higher than the bottom end.

He very well might be bullshitting me, but I'd be happy with it even so.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

jasawnc posted:

I normally just lurk and have read some great advice from you all, so thanks in advance to any you can offer me.

During the last 4 years I have been working in the field of developmental disabilities & mental health. Money was OK but not great. Before that, for about 4 1/2 years I was working in IT as desktop support/Jr software developer; ending that job making mid 30's per year (which I felt was low for what I was doing).

So fast forward to last month; I've been sending out resumes with hopes of getting into another computer gig. Got only slight interest and a few interviews; Of the interviews only a couple went well. So today I got a call from the President of one of those companies where he said he could offer me 43K to start as an Assistant Network Admin. I said I was "still interested in the position at that price". He then said he would forward everything to the parent company and I'll see an official offer in a few days. I want to see if there is room to negotiate without them pulling the offer. So my question, should I have pushed for more over the phone? Will they be expecting me to just take the offer once I receive it with no more room for negotiations? Feel like I need to handle things with kid gloves now that the expectations have been set on the phone call.

To further add to all that. A company I've been temping for the last few weeks are feeling me out for a position of Assistant Fleet Maintenance. They're not sure what the salary would be, they were hoping to get it set within the next week. I have doubts that it will be as high as the other offer, currently making 33K here when figured yearly. Would it look too aggressive to play this offer against the other to try and get more?

That seems pretty low for a Network Admin, but if that's something you are interested in you might still want to negotiate for experience. I know a lot of guys that make that doing tier 1 desktop.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Unless you hate your current job, you might as well shoot for the moon since it isn't a big jump anyway.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I don't think I would "ask" if it's possible to negotiate. Of course, they'll say no. Instead just state what you want and that you'll have to decline otherwise.

• Locked thread