Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
1) Does anyone have any experience negotiating contracts regarding joining a medical practice or other similar small business? It's tricky because you're starting off as an employee with the expectation that you'll buy in to the practice and become partner in 2 years or so if everyone is happy. Obviously, when you buy in to a practice, you need an accountant to go over all the books. Would it be weird to hire an accountant to go over everything before you even sign the initial contract?

I ask because your 1st year income is usually a combination of base salary and an incentive bonus as a percentage of the gross profit that you bring in. An accountant would be useful to determine what that potential gross profit is (depends on insurance mix, overheads, types of procedures, etc.) Or should I just trust their estimates?

Also, you're negotiating against the senior partner, and every dollar they give you as an employee is a dollar out of their pocket, so both parties have a lot on the line.

2) How far is it reasonable to feign interest in other practices if I don't really want to go there. I interviewed at 5 practices, but there are 2 that I realistically will not be joining. Right now, they're saying that if I'm interested, they'll go ahead and draft a contract. Can I say "Hell yeah I'm interested" and use it in my negotiations with the places that I actually want to go to? Some people say that hammering out a contract has the expectation that you'll sign if things are reasonable. I wouldn't sign with them unless the money was very unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

RE #2: I think if you tell them the price where you'd go to work there, then you have no other obligations to dissuade them from drafting a contract. The difference between 3 legitimate options and 5 legitimate options is not nearly as big as the difference between one and two, so I wouldn't lie to them in an attempt to get competing offers.

Yeah, but the problem is that I want them to mention a number first right? Isn't that the number one rule? They're offering to draw up a contract even before we even discuss salary.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Also you might be getting into a mental trap of overplaying your hand. If there's only three places you'd legitimately work at, there are only three places you would legitimately work at. If you play up those undesirable opportunities too much, you may end up backing yourself into a corner where they are the only opportunities left for you.

Well, that's 3 out of the 5 places I interviewed at. I'm not looking to start until next July at the earliest. If everything somehow falls though, I figure I can just interview at more places and be more liberal with my selection criteria. I'll keep that in mind though, thanks.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Was told during the very first interview that all contracts were non-negotiable. The offer was fair and my BATNA was house husband so I took the job but COME ON man you're supposed to at least play the game.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

ObsidianBeast posted:

If you didn't even try to ask for more, then it was you who didn't play the game. Sounds to me like they played the game, and won.

That being said, if you liked the offer and didn't like your alternatives, then there's nothing inherently wrong with accepting it, but don't blame them for not negotiating.

No blame involved. It's a huge organization and people I knew who worked there told me it's no negotiations, no exceptions. I assume those places actually do exist. If not, then I guess I missed out.

I tried delaying my start date so that's something. They said take it or leave it.

potatoducks fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 12, 2016

• Locked thread