Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

StoryTime posted:

Mass Effect.

Edit:
Oh wait, in Mass Effect 2 you have to spend plenty of resources to remove those glowing scars on your face, and become the beautiful porcelain gun goddess that you are inside.

Mass Effect 1 and 3 still stand.

Now, now, be fair, you could also cure your scars by being nice to people! Besides, that did apply equally to both men and women. (Wait, what am I saying, Shepard is canonically female :colbert:)

But I kept them anyway, because I liked my Shep to look like the kind of woman who would murder you as soon as look at you, and nothing says 'Dread Space Captain Shepard' like glowing red scars and eyes.

Regarding the 'are they really games' question... I'd say that a lot of those 'make-up games' you showed are toys, rather than games; the distinction being in the lack of a clearly structured ruleset and defined goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if there is a space for a genuine new genre or something specifically centred around girly things. I mean gears of war is pretty much the ultimate stereotypical man game, gore, screaming, burly angry beard-having men with burly guns, wrasslin' with burly aliens while everything explodes. What would the ultimate girly game be like if you gave it the same degree of production quality?

Dress up your girl in exacting detail, before mounting your horse (obviously, you can pimp your horse out however you like), and galloping down the street shooting seduction lasers at all the boys so their spirits ride in your ghost-horseman-posse. Different outfits and stuff could give you bonuses to your eye lasers/horse speed/et cetera. Obviously, everything explodes... in sparkles!
Uhm. Needs more focus.
Okay, you're playing as a young debutante prior to her coming out, and the bitchy clique at your school are planning to ruin the whole event, so your goal is to collect the seven magical boys who are the most desirable in school. In order to do this, you have to accrue lots of dead boy spirits so that your 'popular with the boys' stat rises, and they see you as being more desirable (because everyone knows that people want things other people are shown as wanting).

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
If you do, please please go for the spelling "Let's Pladies" instead.
"Playdies" always looks like a portmanteau of "play" and "dies" to me.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Speaking as a man, they don't have much direct effect on me, except that they perpetuate these lovely stereotypes and cultural attitudes, and as a result I have to deal with
A: Women who've been convinced they have to behave this way
B: Men who've been convinced women have to behave this way

The women in question make me feel a bit sad, and on a personal level I tend to find them boring. That makes me sound like a terrible person, so let me just stress that I'm not saying they are bad people, or worth less in any respect just because they bore me - War & Peace isn't a bad book just because I can't stand reading it, after all.
But it does mean that it's another group of people who I can't find much in common with, and that's a shame.

The men in question are even worse, because they'll often act like assholes towards any woman who doesn't follow the standards. So not only are they unpleasant to be around, but they also stifle women who might have more interesting (to me, anyway) personalities if they didn't have to fear being sneered at by a pack of misogynistic assholes.

Obviously, my problems here are rather less troublesome than the problems of women who have to deal with all the social pressures these things help apply, but...

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 30, 2014

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Devious Vacuum posted:

And also, I think the biggest issue that all the boring ol' straight white cis men reading this thread can consider IS: what if you wanted to enjoy any of these so-called "girl" things, while still being a straight white cis man? Everyone would probably make fun of you. And ISN'T THAT BULLSHIT? What, you're not allowed to like certain things now? The gently caress is that? The only person in charge of defining who you are is you! Who are these other people telling you who you are just because of what you like?

And, boom, now you're on the same side.

Oh yeah. Some days when it's hot, I wish I could wear a skirt instead of trousers.
But while I'm pretty good at ignoring pointless social constraints and dressing like a mad pirate-cowboy, that would still be enough to make me feel uncomfortable.
:sigh:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

From my personal life outside the internet, I get the occasional person who thinks I'm a girl because I have long hair pony tailed up. Strangely, it put a bee under my bonnet more when it was 3 separate groups of kids in one day, than the two older gentlemen who have gotten my gender wrong.

Hah! That happens to me occasionally. The very best incident was when I was camping: I was just brushing my hair after having had a shower in the big communal shower blocks, and they were empty aside from me. Some guy comes in, catches half a glance of this betoweled, hair-shrouded figure and goes "Oh! Sorry!" and starts to back out.

To this day, I wish I'd been quick enough on the uptake not to correct him, because it would have been wonderful if he'd then walked into the actual women's bathroom and been completely flummoxed.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Buried alive posted:

... If you did have the thought of "I don't hear many women in multiplayer environments because they're just not talking." that's exactly the kind of thing this thread is about. Guys don't have to worry about how people will react to a guy's voice in a game. ...

I actually read his sentence as implying that any sane person never says anything in multiplayer games, actually.
Which I agree with.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

quote:

STREET KISS

"You have to kiss your partner when the purple hair girl is not watching."

... Why specifically the 'purple hair girl'?
Is it not a misspelling? Is she actually just a massive animated lump of purple hair, who will strangle you with her monstrous tendrils if she detects affection?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Ooh, a dress-up game where the results are actually pretty!

Some kind of sea-goddess figure.

I also like that the default skin tone is a pretty dark brown; it makes such a nice change.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

OBJECTION!

Alas, you can't have a waistcoat underneath a jacket.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Related to the Cooking Game outbreak, one thing I'm sick of seeing in media (and oh god is it prevalent in Japanese stuff) is the "Ha ha ha! Look, this girl can't cook! It's a character trait!"

Then you get two varients; the one where they know that they're a terrible cook and feel really ashamed about it (because if you're a woman and you can't cook, you are worthless) or the ~wacky~ one where they think they're good at it and force their toxic food on their friends.

I'm just so loving tired of that particular trope.

...that said, I do think that if you're an adult and you literally can't prepare an edible meal of any kind, you should feel ashamed. But that applies equally to both men and women.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Devious Vacuum posted:

I have created the Fruitomancer, mistress of the forbidden fruit arts.

Oh White Guava of the west, protect me from harm!
Oh Black Mango of the north, warn me of danger!
Oh Azure Kumquat of the east, grant me inner strength!
Oh Vermilion Durian of the south, produce foul odors!
Four Zodiac Fruit Symbols, I beseech thee!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

A preview of my hit new anime, the high-school comedy: Oh Serial~Killer-san, what will you get up to next!? My high-school life is a tabloid detective story and I blame my homeroom teacher!
(It turns out he isn't actually a serial killer, it's just a series of ~wacky misunderstandings~ combined with his incredibly creepy appearance!)

Edit:
Also,

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 13, 2014

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

ShadowMar posted:

http://www.rinmarugames.com/game/?game_id=365

What compelled me to make this horrible abomination in photoshop, I will never know.

Sheer, visionary genius, that's what.

True love, captured in the moment.

I just love some of the terrified facial expressions you can create with these.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

In other news, I've ran into an image morphing tool, which is called plastic surgery simulator by its developers.
http://www.plastic-surgery-simulator.com/
Check out the examples they have on their main page, especially the last three.

Huh. The 'ethnic' one, which I expected to be outrageously offensive, didn't actually seem visibly different in the before/after shots...

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

chocolatekake posted:

The girl on the right should be looking at the other girl, but I guess the selection image lied.

No, no, I think it's perfect as it is.
"Jeez, again? How many times; humans aren't congenitally bisexual, pointy-ears!"

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Senerio posted:

One of my favorite character creators.
Original Pokemon trainer do not steal.

"I'm sorry, peasants. Did you think you could match my glorious golden magicarp?"
Also I am an albino.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Elissia posted:

It's got to just be my eyes or a trick of the background but god drat she looks like she has super-long extra-jointed fingers.

Let's see...

ZOOM!

ENHANCE!

OH GOD! :gonk:

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 27, 2014

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
The massage game reminded me of a theory I once had about fashion magazines: they all end with a depraved cannibalistic feast where the women eat the men.
You see, all the women appear to have been starved, and all the men appear to have been oiled! Clearly ready for roasting.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Jane's Labors posted:

The SAVIOR-XIII was an early project to create a labor suitable for emergency service use, capable of rescuing victims trapped in enclosed spaces or damaged vehicles. In many respects, the design was successful; its strength and adaptable frame, in addition to the two hydraulically operated pincers, allowed it to move almost any obstruction and safely retrieve disaster and accident victims.
It was discontinued however, upon the discovery that its horrifying appearance had caused several heart-attacks, as people who were in already delicate emotional states were suddenly confronted by a gigantic, jet-black, pincer-waving robot bursting through the wall.
Designers at Schaft industries called this outcome "disappointing".

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
From my understanding, the important thing is trying to get their heart beating again, because if that isn't happening then all the other considerations are pointless.
Also, on a related note because I'll take any opportunity to spread this knowlege: defibrillators don't restart stopped hearts. And I wish the media would stop showing them doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

I was just about to watch the last three videos, but before that, I wanted to mention that this thread inspired me to make my own "girl game" ... in Twine. It's super-long (with the exception of one particular route) and probably only tangentially-related to the themes of the thread, but I finally finished it, and decided that I would link it here: ♥ Magical Makeover ♥

That was loving awesome.
I covered myself with crystals and got stabbed by the princess. Yay makeovers!

• Locked thread