Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
DVAC NO DO NOT DESCEND INTO THIS RABBIT HOLE

HEREIN LIES GRASSLAMB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was once a girl who played games. I can tell you now... I've seen some weird poo poo.

Remember when Petz: Horsez 2 was LPed? That thing was a goddamn experience/

There was a game called Babiez that was obviously marketed toward girls. The modding community revealed that the result caused girls to sink into uncontrollable derangement.

EDIT: Also, I must say... I played shittons of games like this, but it was very recently and because my work got to where I had nothing to do as the business died.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 18, 2014

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I also reacted strongly against being a "girl," but I got stuck in a terrible sort of limbo. I thought it was "wrong" to like "boy" things, or that I would get in trouble or looked down on in some nebulous way for liking things for boys. It kept me from being able to express what I really liked for quite some time. I had "girl" toys that I liked alright, but I would have had vastly more fun with some Transformers. I ended up becoming more and more resentful of "girly" things in general, even if they were harmless, just because they seemed to be keeping me from what I really wanted. That isn't mentioning how really HORRIBLY UNFUN everything made being a girl seem. Guys get to kick rear end and be the hero. What do girls get? Oh, you get a load of effort to be pretty. Isn't that good enough?

Basically, gently caress the idea that anything is specifically gendered for boys or girls. Even without all the problems of message, the sense of obligation and expectation combined with natural taste just makes kids miserable.

vv Dude, you hadn't even posted when I as typing this. I just meant in general.

EDIT: OH MY GOD

http://www.cartoondollemporium.com/dress-up-games.html?fantasy-warrior-girl&id=8760

Depicted here: not a fantasy warrior girl at all. What the hell are the options on this? It doesn't say "pixie girl", it says "Fantasy Warrior Girl." YOU SEEM TO LACK THE REQUISITE OPTIONS, GAME.

EDIT 2: gently caress http://www.cartoondollemporium.com/dress-up-games.html?silky-smooth-legs&id=8585

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 18, 2014

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SelenicMartian posted:

Dress-up is not just for girls. I know of a series of dress up games for guys called Armored Core.

As for girly games, there's Dangerous High School Girls In Trouble - http://www.mousechief.com/dhsg/
A board-game-style detective story, in which boyfriends are obtained with a little bit of flirt, and then discarded as single-use damage shields, when that hag a year older delivers a particularly sick burn.

Yeah, I have this game. It was enjoyable goofy fun. And then there's a sudden plot twist and it's all aboard the train to awkward rape town.

SUPER AWKWARD.

EDIT: Also, secret confession: I have a terrible trainwreck-watching attraction to otome games. There are a handful of good ones, but oh my god, the bad ones. I also like dollmakers, but only the proper ones where you can put on whatever you goddamn please, and only if not all the options are hookerwear and goddamnit, why are so many of these GIRL GAMES ones so poorly made? The ones I've played are like made as artist practice, not really for little girls. The ones for GIRLS~ are just made like poo poo. What's this crap about having to "beautify" first? What's this crap about having to scroll through clothes by hitting the "shirt" button until it's on a shirt I like? Make a list!

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 18, 2014

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gegi posted:

It's an interesting game and it certainly touches on gender elements (and I never got past the first big case myself) but it's certainly not a free flash game, not covered in pink, and not sold to a young girl market. Or even the casual market (which is stereotypically older women). It got banned from the casual market entirely because people objected to the mechanics, thinking it sounded like the 'dangerous' girls were promoting bullying.

As for the phone otome games, the two most interesting ones I know about are the one that starts out with the protagonist recently married to a man who's mysteriously ignoring her, then discovering he's having an affair. Drama! (You can choose to win him over, or find COMFORT ROMANCE in the arms of another while still married, or get a divorce right away and find a rebound) and the one that starts out with the protagonist plotting murder. Yes really!

I would expect it to get banned for the PLOT TWEEST near the ending, but... well. I guess they didn't play that far.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think the girl with one arm lost her arm in a tragic kissing accident. She's trying to warn people about you because she wants to save you!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Devious Vacuum posted:

KissBieber is one of the many games a distressed Midnight Voyager sent me on Steam a few nights ago, to be seen in some upcoming video eventually, probably titled "Midnight's Choice."

I'm not gonna lie, it wasn't even the most distressing game I saw that night.

*weeps*

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

I played a couple of the online dressy uppy games with ladyfriends when I was younger.

It's weird, because, I mean I loved playing with lego as a kid, and I love playing minecraft now because it's kinda the same thing.

But I also loved playing with action man as a kid and I had a shitton of dress up outfits for him (my gran used to knit them for me) so it's odd that the video-game equivalent isn't any fun.

You may just need BETTER dressup games. Some allow a wide selection of single clothing pieces and the ability to change their colors. It's vastly more of a game than having to scrub out some girl's blackheads and pick one of three almost full outfits to stick on her.

But most of those are not targeted towards little girls at all.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

deadly_pudding posted:

This thread is amazing, also. I hope you check out some of the surprisingly :spergin: horse games that are floating around out there. There was an LP of Petz Horsez 2 a year or two ago, and I remember being pretty impressed by how far they took "taking care of horses adventure, you know, for the girls", despite the game's general jankiness. It's like a made for TV movie, in video game form, but like with also really weirdly detailed equine hygiene mini-games.

You forget the plot that performs the most unnecessarily long BUT THOU MUST sequence if you try to do the responsible thing and the whole bit about murder.

Modding that game was fun, though! I'm still proud of Slenderpriest.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tlarn posted:

Ghoulia is the best of the Monster High bunch and I'll hear nothing else on the subject. :colbert:

I was kinda furious at EVEN MONSTERS MUST BE SEXY, but holy poo poo, Ghoulia is the best.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wanamingo posted:

I'm going to second this post. Everybody in this thread go watch Good Hair.

It's pretty much like this with all Disney films, really. A good question to ask is if they can name any of their princes, save for Aladdin.

Prince Phillip and his horse were pretty great. And there's Prince Eric!

The men in most of the movies are comic relief or... utter nonentities. I guess they have to make the prince look good somehow.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jinxie Monroe posted:

I feel like this image is the only way I can express how strange and disturbing I find these beauty games where you repeatedly rub lotions on non-people and wash them off again and again to make them better, beautiful non-people.

It's also blatant lies, because it doesn't matter how much poo poo you put on some peoples' legs, they will never feel better after shaving.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I take it you're going to be doing the makeup for Psych when he has that inevitable hot con date with Ragny~?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Like Clockwork posted:

I'm pretty sure that game was straight-up stolen from Doll Divine (which has a decent number of not-poo poo dress-up games), although I probably shouldn't be surprised by that. It is a nice game, though.

Doll Divine has the kind of dollmaker games I futz around with. They're the sort made by experimenting artists, not actually games for young girls. They have their problems, but it's less of a crapshoot there!

Rinmaru's also not terrible, but it also has loving ASCENSION AHGHHH

EDIT: I still have my creation from that goddamn stream when I decided to make the worst thing:

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 5, 2014

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MiracleFlare posted:

Aw, man, Rinmaru's actually one of the first sites I came across, and I was thinking of doing something on the Ascension Couple Creator because it actually has a few armors that aren't terrible (though most of them are), alongside an astounding amount of customization options. But I've never actually played the Ascension VN; should I be aware of something before I look?

EDIT: Oh, I...just noticed some of the tattoo placements. That's comforting. :stonk:

Anyway, I had fun playing around with Erté Elegance, although I ended up going simple instead of making something really fancy.

DON'T PLAY THE VN NO NO NO NO NO

Grasslamb did a stream and I voiced the best friend for it and I regretted everything forever. It's terrible.

vvvvv SHE LIES, WE HAD TO DO IT ALL AT ONCE BECAUSE SAVING DIDN'T WORK

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 5, 2014

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Wizard posted:

All right Midnight Voyager, I wanna see that video of the clown on fire.

Give it. :colbert:

:negative:

Well, I saw it on some TV show I had running in the background. World's Dumbest or something? Let's look on Youtube and see if- HOLY poo poo there's a lot of clowns catching fire.

The weirdest part of that clip was a little boy who was just staring at the flaming clown and grinning.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Devious Vacuum posted:

Yes, excellent

Did you just make that one character from A Swiftly Tilting Planet? (or whichever of that series it was that had the kid with the spinning eyes)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Devious Vacuum posted:

I have no idea, but now I need an explanation of this.

It MAY have been from A Wrinkle in Time, actually... There was a character who hypnotized one of the main characters, I think? And the sign that he was hypnotized was his eyes spinning or rotating.

That series of books kinda hosed me up as a kid. And A Wrinkle In Time was BEFORE the crazy got mindblowing in those. I'll never unread that one childbirth from Many Waters. Ever.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
NOT THE HEDGEHOG GAME NO NO NO NO NOT AGAIN NOT AFTER THAT ONE STREAM

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Man, I didn't wanna have to go into anything like "Good Otome games", buuuuut I do know a few.

First off, Hatoful Boyfriend!

You probably know about that one, but I had to mention it. I kinda hate being able to say that a semi-science-fiction game about romancing pigeons has some really genuine characterization and surprisingly good structure for an otome game. Playing all of the routes will slowly teach you more and more about the world, and then you can end up on the giant mindfuck True Ending.

But the big one I wanted to mention was Hakuoki, Demon of the Fleeting Blossom.

It's not rapey! It has a plot that could go on without ANY romance whatsoever! It has a really vague historical basis, aside from the demons and the alchemy vampires! The characters who are assholes end up fleshing out in a way that makes them much better than your lovely "I love him even though he is an rear end in a top hat" storylines! Your character may be kinda useless, but she's next to some of the most dangerous people in all of Japan, so the comparison is just not flattering. She has agency and a will of her own, and she actually has a say in the plot. The various love interests all play a part in the plot no matter how you steer it, though things can go rather differently depending on which way you go. There's no bullshit where you almost never see any of them except the one you pick. There's no crap about them changing personality drastically between routes. (I'm looking at you, Shall We Date? My Sweet Prince. I'll get to that one.)

Want to kill someone's heart? Get them to play it without looking up any real life details on the Shinsengumi. Bonus points if they go for Souji Okita. It follows actual history a lot better than some of these games do, so a little light Googling will tell you how the story goes, sans supernatural stuff. Nothing like seeing someone's head explode when they realize their love interest is dying of tuberculosis. It does delve into fiction, based on your ending. Someone dies in every one of them, but it takes liberties with how they die or perhaps percieved death, etc. But someone will die, and it will be depressing.

Also, your player character has a face. Lots of them don't. I'm looking at you, Voltage.

EDIT: Okay, some of my typing got eaten, wtf. I fixed it, I think.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 19, 2014

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
YESSSSS FEEL MY HATE

My drat head nearly exploded when I found that last game. I'm glad the horror got some screen time!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is- is the date guy making heart eyes at the waiter?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I couldn't help but posting Sexy Zardoz Putin to that stupid #gamesfemalesplay tag that's going around. They could use a bit of skeeving out.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Maybe this iOS thing that a coworker found a few days ago? It looks like it would go with those facial and pedicure games.

I'd give it a go but I don't have anything to run it on. It's a free download from here: http://appshopper.com/games/armpit-waxing-makeover-salon-beauty-spa-games-for-girls-and-boys

AND EVERY LAST INCH OF ME'S COVERED IN HAIR!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Light Gun Man posted:

Champions Online is even better.

Then it must have changed by MILES since I played, because I could consistently NEVER even just recreate a character from CoX in Champions. The options were abysmal and not suited for mix and match without extreme effort. Did they ever fix it so that there wasn't a loving CLEAVAGE OVERLAY? Because if you give someone minimum tits, they still visibly had huge knockers from the front like an eye maze.

Yeah, you could be flat as you liked, but god knows you have to have cleavage. Even in a shirt that fully covers your entire chest.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Girl games have taught me that I cannot compete with other girls. If any other girl is nearby, I cannot win a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well, now I'm sad that you never did the "MAKE THE PREGNANT LADY SEXY" game, but that... that sure was a thing.

• Locked thread